NeveraSkate

Deer oh deer

Coming back from Bath last night and Bambi decides to play chicken with the traffic! 

Came out of the trees so quick could not avoid it :(

My car is a bit of a mess. Bonnet, wing, bumper and headlight all wrecked. Probably more damage underneath.  Going to be assessed early next week.  

I don't know if it is a write off but it will cost a few quid to put right. 

Does anybody know if you have to use the insurance companies repair company? 

I have been told it will cost another  £200 to have my repair centre of choice. 

My E39 cost about 3.5K to fix after it's deer strike. Repaired and painted wing, bonnet and drivers door, replaced bumper, arch lining, radiator, foglight and headlight which were destroyed. Didn't go through insurance. It wasn't a big animal though.

19 hours ago, NeveraSkate said:

Coming back from Bath last night and Bambi decides to play chicken with the traffic! 

Came out of the trees so quick could not avoid it :(

My car is a bit of a mess. Bonnet, wing, bumper and headlight all wrecked. Probably more damage underneath.  Going to be assessed early next week.  

I don't know if it is a write off but it will cost a few quid to put right. 

Does anybody know if you have to use the insurance companies repair company? 

I have been told it will cost another  £200 to have my repair centre of choice. 

Have you reported it? That needs to be done ideally

I hit a Deer on my first commute of the new year back in January, my insurer at the time was M&S underwritten by LV.

I called and reported it to them and they gave me a choice of two preffered body shops nearby, as BMW was literally around the corner and the car was only 16 months old I said I wanted to use them. LV were fine with this all it meant with them not to use their preferred choice was they couldn't guarantee a courtesy car but obviously BMW supplied me with one no problem.

My damage was new bumper, driver headlight, driver fog light, fog light trim, parking sensors, grill and a few bits underneath, hope you get it sorted.

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Have you reported it? That needs to be done ideally

The car is going to be assessed on Tues/Wed.

I did a quick check on the repair centre that the insurance company uses and all seems well.

I thought it was a bit of a cheek to add another £200 to my excess if I chose my own garage !!

Trouble is a friend of mine is a top class sprayer and would have been nice for his repair shop to have dealt with it but £200 is £200 and the excess is high enough anyway !!

I have asked for BMW parts and paint to be used. whether that makes much of a difference to costs I do not know.

Car looks pretty bad and it seems it doesn't take much these days to write them off !!

21 minutes ago, NeveraSkate said:

The car is going to be assessed on Tues/Wed.

I did a quick check on the repair centre that the insurance company uses and all seems well.

I thought it was a bit of a cheek to add another £200 to my excess if I chose my own garage !!

Trouble is a friend of mine is a top class sprayer and would have been nice for his repair shop to have dealt with it but £200 is £200 and the excess is high enough anyway !!

I have asked for BMW parts and paint to be used. whether that makes much of a difference to costs I do not know.

Car looks pretty bad and it seems it doesn't take much these days to write them off !!

Not the car, the deer. Hitting them needs to be reported IIRC

7 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Not the car, the deer. Hitting them needs to be reported IIRC

I did not think a deer was reportable but it managed to run off.

It probably died somewhere else.

There was no claret on my car but plenty of fur. This was a full size beast and I am glad I was not in my 911 as it could a been a whole lot messier for me and the wife ! 

Ouch. I had exactly the same happen to me on the A338 (going to Bath, oddly enough!) about three years ago.

It made a total mess of the E28, as you can see. 10425423_10152979079444798_6081107381880

I fixed it myself, because I was 20 at the time and didn't want to lose my NCB, and I didnt want the car getting marked as a write-off, which it almost certainly would have done. 

I managed to keep the original bonnet and panel-beat it, but needed a new front slam panel, lights, bumper section and plastic grilles. While I was at it, I fabricated one good valance out of two and had it sprayed / stone chipped along with the repaired area. 

It took me the best part of 8 months to fix myself, and it cost me £400 to have the spraying done after I did the prep myself (C&N Autos Didcot- recommended!). 

13900111_10157268648245711_5595034123727

13239358_1158154390901567_71624329992907

Hope you manage to get it sorted!

Dave

On 31/12/2017 at 4:33 PM, NeveraSkate said:

esure.

Time will tell if they are any good !!

Completely different area, but esure's appointed bodyshop did a decent job of repairing my car after hitting a badger.

Well, other than not plugging one of the fog lamps back in.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:44 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Hence why you're to report it, in case it can be helped or sorted, humanely! :roll: 

Ideally it should be reported, but I don't think it's mandatory to report a deer hit as it's in the same definition class of animal as a cat and not a horse, cow or dog... strange I know...

Locally we are asked to report deer / wild boar hits so that the forestry commission can send out a ranger to dispatch the animal humanely if they can find it... 

Deer update 

I have just been informed by the Bodyshop that my car will be a write off :(. Apparently the damage will cost over  £6K +vat to put right. 

A real shame as it was a great car.

Have not heard from the insurance company yet . Let's see what ridiculous offer they make me for the car !!

Sorry to hear that.

I hit a deer back in 2001.  Small thing, size of bambi jumped off a wall on the twisty bit on the A82 on the side of Loch Lomond.  By the time I even managed to hit the brakes I had made contact with it.  Its ar$e hit the headlight and its head hit the grill.  It then bounced off an skidded under the armco barrier and went into the loch. Thank god it was a Toyota Avensis hire car.  £1500 to fix.  It would have written my Senator off at the time.

I called the local Police to tell them, but they were only interested in taking action if I was injured (just shock) or if the deer was still lying in the road and posing a risk to others.  A deer isn't owned by anyone so there is no loss to a third party, unlike a cow or dog etc.

18 hours ago, NeveraSkate said:

Deer update 

I have just been informed by the Bodyshop that my car will be a write off :(. Apparently the damage will cost over  £6K +vat to put right. 

A real shame as it was a great car.

Have not heard from the insurance company yet . Let's see what ridiculous offer they make me for the car !!

An insurance repair quote will be a lot higher than a personal quote, in the great majority of cases. One bodyshop close to me actually advertises significant discounts for non-insurance jobs, on the basis that it's more affordable to the punter, and better for the shop as they get paid straight away instead of having to wait. Is it worth getting a second opinion? Good used parts can be used too. I didn't go through insurance for mine because there was no point, they'd write off my E39 straight away. I sorned it, garaged it and had it fixed (properly) at my leisure over the next couple of years. No Cat classification, and I still own the car.

A 550 is a rare beast, worth considering other options for, IMO.

I have been offered  £7100 for the car which I think is a piss take. 

To buy something like the car I had would cost about  £10k. 

I have another car and van so don't really need the hassle of putting the 550 right. 

I am tempted to sell my 911 and use both of the monies to buy an E90 M3.

Decisions decisions.