Good budget for the right car

Thanks, Matt

Queue usual responses...

Unlikely to get one easily

Price will be high[er than you'd imagine]

Why buy a diesel when you can get a 530i more easily
Petrols suffer from cooling system failures, get a diesel

Diesels are more expensive to maintain, get a petrol

It's an old car so whatever the budget, leave some for repairs (injectors and turbos for diesel), rust and suspension arms for any model

You could get a 525d and get it mapped

You could get a 530d in SE spec and make it look like a sport

Search eBay, Gumtree, forum and local ads

:D

Of course, it's [supposed to be] the season of goodwill and all that so perhaps one that fits the bill will magically appear :)

Haha, thanks for getting those out the way. I know I may have a bit of a wait to find the right car and I know what they usually go for. 

Ive got saved searches on the usual channels but I thought I’d see if any other enthusiasts were thinking of selling but didn’t want to deal with the usual eBay/gumtree morons that ask what price you’ll take before even hinting at anything else :)

I’m a mechanic by trade so I don’t mind putting a few bits right here and there, always loved the E39 so hoping I can find a good one.

Happy new year :)

Matt

A 530d manual is a good thing. Today mine started after 2 weeks at Heathrow. Took us home in comfort then done the tip run and trip to supermarket. B)

as a mechanic is an auto to manual swap swap an option?

I’m no longer ‘in the trade’ as such so probably not really as I wouldn’t like to tackle it on the drive.

I am a stickler for a manual gearbox, really not an auto fan. Bit of a pain as there are a lot more of them! 

Have you driven a manual one? I had a manual 330d and I felt that the gearbox didn't really suit engine, the torque curve of the engine seemed much better suited to an autobox imo. I wouldn't discount the auto until you've tried one, or tried a manual and auto ideally. :)

Fair enough, horses for courses I suppose! As you say, finding a manual is the issue, I waited ages for a manual 330d to pop up and then wished I'd bought an auto!:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Saint Matt said:

Happy new year

Thanks, I really need one though it's not looking to have a good start :unsure:

According to the How Many Left site there's only 300 ish 530d sport manuals left on the UK's roads. Whilst it's probably not completely accurate, it is a good indication of just how difficult your task may be. It's certainly a good choice of vehicle but you'll be buying something that's at least 14 years old now so finding one with average miles and is still in great condition will be a tall order. A recent thread highlight Japanese imports as an option - though pricey and from a scan through the stock list diesels rarely feature let along manual boxed models!

I did have a quick scan around (yeah I know, a lot of time on my hands) I did see a touring on Gumtree but it was a "homemade" sport (bus wheel and standard seats remained) so the conversion wasn't as complete as it could be and it looked like its age was catching up with it. There was also a manual 525d in Avus Blue but it was sitting on what looked like stretched tyres which isn't something I appreciate and therefore I skipped on by.

Good luck in your search nonetheless.

Ah, knew I’d forget something, I’m looking for a saloon. The wife drives a 320d E91 so we don’t really need 2 tourings. Thanks for the link, I’ve seen that one but really just looking for a sport.

I've had an auto and currently have a manual 530d, and far prefer the manual, it's worth holding out for if that's what you want. 

I didn't realise their numbers were so few now. 

What I found was most manual 530ds were pre facelift and very poverty spec and cloth seats. Most sports seemed to be auto. When I found my sport touring manual with a reasonable spec I couldn't say no!

My spare manual Sport is unfortunately in need of welding. So it’s likely to be dismantled in the new year as it’s worth more in bits. 

It drives so much better than my converted auto though. 

Having driven a couple of autos the manual wins hands down for me too. Shame I can’t find a manual sport touring, they are even harder to find than a saloon 

Any luck with the search? What sort of car are you looking for? 

Daily driver, project, or a somewhere in between? 

Where are you located? 

Hi, 

A friend of a friend apparently has one he might sell but I’m just waiting for him to get back to me. 

It’ll be a daily driver but but I don’t mind if it needs a few parts from breakers along  the way etc.

I’m in Derby but I’ll travel anywhere for the right car.

Matt

Well I've been coming round to the idea of possibly parting with mine, though it might not be exactly what you're after as it's been fairly extensively modified, albeit tastefully so its a bit of a sleeper. 

By all means mate send me some details if you decide you are selling. I won’t lie I am a little bit wary of too much power through them, my E46 330cd had a bigger intercooler etc and the hp pump went (i think that’s the initial cause), either way it ended up in all 6 injectors, both pumps and other bits and bobs totalling about 2.4k haha. 

Edited by Saint Matt

Manual 530d’s are epic. 

I don’t like to mess with them. 

Plenty of power at 193bhp. 

Try looking on DoneDeal in Ireland. 

Loads of them come up very often. Not as rusty as some Uk cars. You’ll find loads were originally UK cars. Biggest carrot  is the prices. Quite cheap. Due to €1594 annual road tax for a 3.0 litre car. All the best. 

Edited by SplitBusVanatic

Thanks, I'm going to look at an '02 525d Sport tomorrow night, Avus Blue. Shame it's not a 530 but it ticks all the other boxes and it's a lovely colour too. Hopefully it's worth a punt.

If it's the right car with regards to condition and spec I wouldn't worry about the 0.5 litre deficit. A remapped 525d is quicker than a standard 530d by the way.;):)

Agreed about 525d. Not as Brutishly fast as the 530d but not bad. I’m driving a standard 525d  manual last couple of years. 400 miles a week. Hard to beat the mpg of the slightly small cc version. 

Are you you stuck on buying a sport ? Or will you look at ‘se’ cars also ?