Mijmap

Need new rear tyres totally confused now

Folks

After reading every web site possible recently on this subject I have totally confused myself and gave myself a blinding head ache with what to put on the rear of my 2013 520d MSport , 350m alloys. I currently have Continental run flats all round however the the rears 275 / 40 / 18 are down to just under 3mm while the fronts are still 5mm. I find the Conti’s  really firm and unforgiving however I am not in a position to change all 4, I cant decide whether to ditch the run flats on the rear (don’t really fancy carrying a spare or a jack :wacko:

Being drawn to the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT ROF (£205 fitted) which claim to be the quietest of the premium brands although I have just noticed Falken do a run flat as well. How is the ride with run flats on the front and non on the rear? Apologies if this is a continual question, any advice would be appreciated.

I ran Sport Maxx GT RFT for over 50k and can't fault them. They are also the OEM tyre I believe. Go for * marked which isn't much more so you've the BMW approved tyres. £205 seems cheap so make sure they are run flats and not the normal ones. 

I have just put pirelli P7 rft on mine, seem so much more sure footed than the bridgstones I had on previously. Not cheap mind you. 

Those are what I have on my F11 and unless I can get a deal on Michelins when the time comes, I will get another set of the P7's. The only issue is with the lottery of the rim protection or not. I have written to Pirelli and they just said that some come with it and some dont, which I find very hard to believe personally, there must be a reason for it, different product code or something?

Edited by nashdm2

I put these on my F11 Msport tourer about a month ago. Very pleased with them and they have the BMW approved *. 

2×245 45 18 Goodyear EAGLE SPORT RUN FLAT 100V All season     from eBay 

Edited by Stressed

Got Michelin primacy 3 non-rft on the front and bridgestone RFT's at the back. same sizes as you 245-45-18/275-40-18

Up to you really whether to go non rft or rft but ive not noticed any unwanted handling characteristics, the front is certainly less crashy over bumps now with the non-rft. 

Carring the BMW mobility kit with the tyre foam and compressor just in case.

Edited by IINexusII

Thanks for all the comments going to spend even more time researching prices, waiting on a few internet quotes coming back 

On 12/29/2017 at 11:53 PM, sshooie said:

I ran a mix of RF and non RF for a few months with no notable effects.

What he said.

The dealer sold me my F10 with shitty Nexen non rfts on the rear and OEM Michelin Primacy rfts up front.  So BMW have no issue with selling a car with a mix of tyres.

Soon to be replaced though...

35 minutes ago, Mijmap said:

Thanks for all the comments going to spend even more time researching prices, waiting on a few internet quotes coming back 

Here is a list of folk I searched thru before going with Lovetyres.

On 29/12/2017 at 10:00 PM, bmwmike said:

I've got goflats up front and RFT on the rears. I wouldn't ever mix on same axle but can't see the problem with front to rear mix. Each to their own though!

I agree with you here, I had non RFT on the front (Kumho KU39) and RFTs at the back, didn't have problems with balance at all! For next summer season I will change RFTs to another 2 Kumhos.

Spoke to a fitter today who suggested Kumho tyres, he said BMW are about to approve them , I can’t find anything on line    , has anyone had any experience of them?

I am in the exact same situation with my 530d.  Ideally would like to ditch RFTs but fronts are pretty good still. 

My shopping around has led me to consider

Non RFT

Bstone   RE050A      £660+ VAT       195rear  135front

PZero  slightly more pricey

Falken FK510  - opinions?

Yokohama  V105 - opinions?

The other option is put a set of cheap RFTs on the back and wear them down until the fronts also need replacement and replace all 4 with decent non RFTs

On Kuhmos, I put them on X5s and they do a great job!!

13 hours ago, Mijmap said:

Spoke to a fitter today who suggested Kumho tyres, he said BMW are about to approve them , I can’t find anything on line    , has anyone had any experience of them?

I  have KUMHO's on front axle (RFT's on rear) and very happy with them, very grippy, I next summer season I will buy another 2 to ditch the RFT's.

Happy with the Uniroyal Rainsports I fitted a month ago, had continental sport contact 5's previously that were very good, Michelin pilot sport on the front also very good.

would rather carry a spare than try to drive on a flat tyre and screw a wheel.

3 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Nothing wrong with mixing RFT and GFT as far as I know so I'd not over think it too much. Not like mixing cross ply or whatever stone age tyres. 

I disagree, RFT and NON RFT have different physical construction and as we all know cause a car to handle and behave differently so personally I would recommend NOT mixing on the same axle and maybe for a short periond having RFT/Non RFT on front /rear but again not ideal. IMHO. 

21 minutes ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

I disagree, RFT and NON RFT have different physical construction and as we all know cause a car to handle and behave differently so personally I would recommend NOT mixing on the same axle and maybe for a short periond having RFT/Non RFT on front /rear but again not ideal. IMHO. 

I'm not saying to mix on same axle either, so on that point we agree. Front to rear no problem IMO and as I've not seen anything from manufacturers to the contrary I'd assume they agree too.

22 minutes ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

I agree on the same axle, but different brands have different characteristics so no big deal front/rear ime. I certainly noticed no adverse effects for the few months and few k miles mine were mixed.

I noticed a big difference having different brands of RFT front and rear, but only at motorway speeds. When cornering, you could feel each end had a different idea of how to behave, so you could feel a floating sensation, almost like it was crabbing a bit. 

It it made me get rid of the fronts early, with loads of mileage left. I am very glad I did, the car feels way more balanced on the motorway now. 

I dare say say you wouldn’t notice as much at lower speeds, which may explain why people have different experiences.