Mijmap

Need new rear tyres totally confused now

3 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I do c2k miles pm and had them on for a few months, I travel on the motorway most days and never noticed, maybe I was lucky.

I do motorway miles too and did not notice the car behaving strange at all and I had non-RFT on front and RFT's on rear. 

No different than having different brands front and back IMO. Way too many variables to pin it on RFT or balancing or tracking or just new tyres. If there was some actual technical reason not to mix run flat and non run flat on a car it would be published as an advisory somewhere. God knows they could make money out of it as folks would be less likely to ditch RFT if it meant having to do all four etc.

If someone knows of a manufacturer or car advisory stating they shouldn't be mixed please share it as I'd not like to take the risk. If it is a risk, which right now I have no reason to believe it is.

Original fitmant on my 530d is Dunlop Sport Maxx. They are the quietest rated tyres that are run flat. When it came to replacement I shopped around for ages reading tests, etc, before deciding a few quid here and there was not worth worrying about and hopefully when I come to sell indicates the way I have maintained the car.

Cant really say how the rears are progressing as I replaced the rear originals quite early. However, the fronts were not new when I got the car and I have done 26,000 miles on them and theres still 4mm left.

I'm pretty realistic about the rears not lasting anything like this as they are the ones getting all the torque........

As MOT due next week I have finally decided to ditch the run flats on the rear and replace with with Kumho PS91's, getting them fitted on Saturday morning. Will see how they bed in and what they are like :rolleyes: 

As a general rule, tires should not be mixed on any vehicle unless specified as acceptable by the tire or vehicle manufacturer. Drivers should avoid mixing tires with different tread patterns, internal constructions or sizes (unless front and rear staggered sizes are specified by the vehicle manufacture), and use identical tires on all of their vehicle's wheel positions in order to maintain the best control and stability. Additionally, drivers should never mix winter tires with all-season/summer tires, or mix run-flat tires with non-run-flat tires.

Because tires play such an important role in every vehicles comfort qualities and handling capabilities, it is always best to drive on tires that are identical in every detail, including tire brand, model, size, and remaining tread depth. Anything else involves some type of compromise.

Source : http://www.continentaltire.com/news/mix-tires-or-not-mix-tires-question

So if you are mixing your tyres, you are compromising the level of overall grip your vehicle has.   You will not notice this until its too late due to all the safety aids a vehicle now has.

Edited by Enzo

been mixing tyres front to rear all my driving experience, not had any issues, its no different to running a staggered setup.

2 hours ago, welshpug said:

its no different to running a staggered setup.

Not if the staggered set up is the same manufacturer, model and spec of tyre, just purely a different width. A correctly specced staggered set up will have next to no difference front to rear, unlike mixing makes or specs of tyres front to rear.

Pirelli P7 RFT's on the back for me: great.  Good 'wet tyre'.

Unforgivably cheap Nokian RFT on front: to be replaced.

I got the Pirellis for £322 fitted at ProTyre....

(And I don't care of your mate Dave at the arches could have done it for £120).

Its pretty irrelevant unless you are pushing the car to its grip limits as part of normal day to day driving OR you're forced to test that limit due to an unforseen circumstance. Trouble is you cant predict the second. 

I certainly don’t drive as if I just stole it (haven’t heard that for ages :D) too busy Trying to enjoy driving smoothly and since I am as tight as two coates of paint cost played a major factor in my choice, if the Kumhos reduce the harshness of the run flats and keep me out of hedges I will probably put them on the front when they are needed. Likewise I have  ran different manufactures front and back and never had an issue. Everyone to their own though, wouldn’t be much of a discussion forum if we all agreed.

5 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

Pirelli P7 RFT's on the back for me: great.  Good 'wet tyre'.

Unforgivably cheap Nokian RFT on front: to be replaced.

I got the Pirellis for £322 fitted at ProTyre....

(And I don't care of your mate Dave at the arches could have done it for £120).

Got these on all 4 corners last year, far superior to the bridgstone turanzas that came with the car. 

I got a bit confused when looking at the p7's there seemed to be two versions.

One with a BMW stamp and one with a Mercedes stamp. The BMW rated ones had considerably worse stats than the Mercedes one.... and was more expensive.

On 17/02/2018 at 8:01 AM, JDR said:

I got a bit confused when looking at the p7's there seemed to be two versions.

One with a BMW stamp and one with a Mercedes stamp. The BMW rated ones had considerably worse stats than the Mercedes one.... and was more expensive.

I have bmw stamps on the rears, the fronts are generic P7 rft. Regardless still better  than the bridgstones they replaced. 

I have had the Kumho Ecsta PS91 NRF on the rear now for a week, they are definitely quieter and less harsh over the crap roads up here, would definitely recommend them to anyone who is thinking of changing to non run flats and not a premium brand.