Mr Pid

More soaking footwells - but can't find leak!!

My offside passenger footwell is soaking wet, at its worst its around 3/4cm deep. I have to drain this icy water before going anywhere to avoid any further possible damage.

I have checked everything I can and cannot find the leak. My car is 525D Touring, without a sunroof.

I have checked the door membranes, which had come away slightly at the top but were still dry, nevertheless i have re-sealed and water tested with a hose on both doors and nothing is coming through, that I can see. I also removed all trim off the B pillar, all dry inside without any water drips. Bench seat is dry underneath so I don't think its coming from the rear.

I have checked the scuttle drains, which the drivers side was full of water, removed grommet and cleaned and tested, water drains away fast with nothing going into footwell that I can see. Also removed wheel arch liner to double check drains and all are clear.

Cleaned up carpets with chamois and towels to touch dry, although after a night of rain, the puddle is back in the footwell. Checked all again today, scuttle is dry, as are doors and I cannot think where the water would be coming from???

This is now driving me insane and I have spent my entire Christmas break messing around with this..... and my keys 

Any ideas?...

I did think that - but still has the original screen fitted.

I've found something online to do with AC drains being blocked, but means having the car up in the air to strip out and check underneath.

Seems to only happen when it rains though and haven't driven the car or used the air con in the last week. The puddle has filled up on a daily basis :-(

did you lie under the doors and check all along the lower edge and near the corners or the membranes to make sure there is no breach, and did you re-warm them to make sure they were really well sealed? - have you tried parking your car in different orientation to see if it stops the leak temporarily - i.e park it nose up rather than nose down? I assume yu checked all door membranes not just the passenger one?

Yep - doors are all dry, both door trims off for a week after heating and re-sealing, not moisture on either front or rear doors.

The puddle has reduced, but I'm not sure whether that is due to less rain or reduced water ingress into the car.

I parked it on a hill, nose down at the weekend and the puddle moved to the front, which was previously only mildly damp. This has remained soaking wet despite parking back on level ground.

I still believe its coming from near the scuttle, even though its now unblocked and dry. I have looked everywhere for drips, including reaching up into the dash for wet spots.

I'm waiting for an appointment at my local indy for them to have a look at it. Although having spoken to them over the phone they suggested everything I have already tried 

Just to be 100%, lie under the door, and look upward as you gently peel edge of the foam away from the door, you should have a solid unbroken bead of the bitumen material, if you have any breaks in this bead, you can get water ingress if the water is dripping from the glass or seals, on to the membrane and then running down and through the gap between membrane and the door metal.

I thought I had re sealed mine well enough, but i ended up replacing the bitumen with new to ensure I had an unbroken seal 100 %, as I very occasionally was still getting a small bit of ingress in the worst weather.

Hi, I have a 2008 E60 525i. I haven't posted before but had the same issue a couple of years ago. What got me puzzled was the fact the water seemed pure and not dirty in any way.

Lift the bonnet,  near side towards the bulkhead is a black lid with about 10-12 bolt heads holding it on. You will have to remove the trim from around the wipers and possibly the filters too, first.

Unscrew all the bolts and remove the black lid. The box is full of wires and connections.......and water! There is a drain grommet at the very bottom. Clear the grommet and the water will run away. About half way up the box is a large hole where the cables go through the bulkhead and into the cabin passenger side footwell. (behind the glovebox). When the water builds up to the level of the hole, the water enters the cabin too.

Replace lid, filter, trim etc. and you should cure the problem.

Not opened mine since. Maybe I should after 2 years but not had ANY signs of a damp footwell since.

Mr Pid, When you checked the door membranes did you also check the rubber washer/seals on the door-card-trim clips? Either missing or compressed through age they are a potential source of water ingress. In fact if viewed from the inside of the door cavity those clips' legs are actually shaped rather well to catch water running down the door surface and direct it through the holes. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:20 PM, Mad4it said:

Hi, I have a 2008 E60 525i. I haven't posted before but had the same issue a couple of years ago. What got me puzzled was the fact the water seemed pure and not dirty in any way.

Lift the bonnet,  near side towards the bulkhead is a black lid with about 10-12 bolt heads holding it on. You will have to remove the trim from around the wipers and possibly the filters too, first.

Unscrew all the bolts and remove the black lid. The box is full of wires and connections.......and water! There is a drain grommet at the very bottom. Clear the grommet and the water will run away. About half way up the box is a large hole where the cables go through the bulkhead and into the cabin passenger side footwell. (behind the glovebox). When the water builds up to the level of the hole, the water enters the cabin too.

Replace lid, filter, trim etc. and you should cure the problem.

Not opened mine since. Maybe I should after 2 years but not had ANY signs of a damp footwell since.

I have the same problem on our 2004 E61 535d, no sunroof.  This sort of thing is what I suspected was happening and I'll give this a try.  We had the windscreen refitted just before this issue but Autoglass came out and re-sealed it again, it didn't stop the water ingress but it did fix the blower going to max all the time.