Mr_530i

Wheal Bearing - Does Brand matter?

Think my R/N/S wheal bearing is shot. Think of buying one now, while ECP/GSF XMAS sale is on (I know they are on all year round lol). Does brand matter? As they each only have two options Standard/Premium and they don't tell you the brand. 

The premium is about £20 more. 

Not sure on their price; but personally I'd go for this via BMWmotormec

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-5-Series-Rear-Wheel-Hub-Bearing-MEYLE-33411095652/372097138494?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=1846974413&hash=item56a2b7bf3e:g:35oAAOSwFuxZ109g

That's if it's for a 530i (or are you talking re your 330i touring)?!

I'd look at the Meyle ones BMWmotormec sell pal... 

Just find the part number via RealOEM and search on eBay 

Why did it lose ABS signal?  I was hoping that brand wouldn't matter :(

11 hours ago, mastacrx said:

I went for FAG. No issues at all. Had problems with Meyle due to the lost Abs signal. 

For £20, I would go premium. It's not alot in the main scheme of things and one would hope the £20 buys your a superior product. Wouldn't want to be paying or carrying out the labour twice

Meyle do not manufacturer parts ..  Meyle imports the parts from China ... Their imported suspension parts are not that bad ...

But would not use items like water pumps etc bearing etc etc Their M60 pumps are known to be weak ...

3 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Meyle do not manufacturer parts ..  Meyle imports the parts from China ... Their imported suspension parts are not that bad ...

But would not use items like water pumps etc bearing etc etc Their M60 pumps are known to be weak ...

Agreed.

A lot of parts these days aren't what they should be and I'm carefully about fitting certain parts to my cars because Febi and Meyle ain't what they used to be.....

As regards to OP,  I personally would pay the extra 20 quid for premium bearings. Wheel bearings can last a LONG time and can do a lot of miles before they give problems. I'd say an extra 20 bob is nothing in the grand scheme of things...

On 12 January 2018 at 4:20 PM, RightHandGoose said:

So for 20 quid more...what are the brand names to go for then...

FAG.

I fitted a FAG front bearing to my E60. I bought it from Dingbro for £88. The same FAG bearing in a BMW cardboard box was £238!

The original that I removed had the same FAG markings. 

10 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Good man Andy. I'll bear this in mind......and write it down as I will forget...:D waiting on Carly Bluetooth module kit to arrive and get it fitted.....only got aux between seats..

If its a front wheel bearing unlike the OP, here is a link to how I changed the front one on my E60, same time as I did the lower arms.

Dynamite..!!!!!! With these roads being churned up by bad workmanship and cold weather especially in Edinburgh I'm pre-empting............but a autobox service and Carly Bluetooth module comes first....:D

8 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Dynamite..!!!!!! With these roads being churned up by bad workmanship and cold weather especially in Edinburgh I'm pre-empting............but a autobox service and Carly Bluetooth module comes first....:D

If you are at the wrong end of the M8 from me, where are you going to get your box serviced?