Sign in to follow this  
Amy`s daddy

vacuum pipes

Hi all, Merry Christmas, I have owned my E39 525d 2003 since July 2017 and so far it is the best car i`ve ever owned, my previous car was a 316 E36 1996, I thought that would take some beating, but i`ve not been disappointed, I love it, yesterday i removed the dreaded swirl flaps, i was so lucky, one had broke off and some how got wedged in the manifold, anyway i noticed that the vacuum pipes under the manifold had been sucked flat, from the main vacuum pipe there are 4 inline outlet ports, one of which goes to the swirl flap actuator, As i`ve not owned one of these vehicles before, and everyone for sale always says PULLS LIKE A TRAIN, Any advice would be greatly received, i.e do i still need the swirl flap pipe, where do the others go to, p.s port 1 is not blanked although every video i`ve seen shows it blanked, sorry if i`ve gone on a bit, just trying to give as much info possible, gonna change the vacuum pipes just want to know the best to buy and where from, thanks in advance.

Hi Amy’s Dad.   Blank off the pipes that went to the swirl flaps. Replace all the other flat and perished ones. Some go to the engine mounts to change the stiffness according to load.  The ones that are responsible for ‘pulling like a train’ go to the turbo actuator.  If these are not perfect, the turbo vane geometry is not changed and boost is only correct at one engine speed, usually high up the Rev band. Performance is poor until this point is reached.  Sort this and you should be pleasantly surprised at how your car takes off.  Invest in a remap and you will be even more delighted.

Thanks syncrofred, that`s so helpful, didn`t think the swirlflap pipe would be needed but its nice to have it confirmed, are all these pipes easy to get to once the manifold as been removed?, roughly how much vacuum pipe will i need, thanks again.

When I did mine I used about three metres, but the engine mounts looked ok so I left those. Still good four years later.

syncrofred, thanks for your advice, i`ve replaced the vacuum pipes and i now know what is meant by (PULLS LIKE A TRAIN) If i could pic your brain again i want to do a gearbox service (Mine has the GM auto gearbox) I`ve seen 2 videos, one says to drop the ATF when cold the other says when warm, Also been told the best way is drop ATF, replace filter, clean pan & replace gasket, fill up with new ATF, Take for a 20 mile run, Drop ATF again and refill for best results, Also i`m a bit confused about which ATF to use, dexron 3, dexron 6, BMW lifetime, meyle, texamatic 7045e, I was gonna do this myself, but been quoted £240 by my BMW independent who i have used for last 10 years and only uses BMW original parts unless told not to, They charge £60 an hour, when i price up the expensive stuff it comes to about £180, Any advice will be most welcome

Can’t remember off hand what Dexron number, I’ll check, but a search on this topic will give to you.  Doing it yourself is not difficult. If you feel less than confident with the spanners, have your ‘man’ do it.  Drop the oil when warm, fill and restart the engine . Run it through the gears for a few minutes, drain while still hot. Then clean the pan, change the filter and refill. Good to go.  Ask him to swop the lock-up solenoid while he’s in there. Don’t cost a packet and good insurance.