sayanthan

Two car symbol on dash

Hi 

I went into my secret menu for the first time today on my e39 m5. I was having a battery warning light yesterday. (When in traffic)

battery voltage after an overnight charge was fine -12v and was staying between 11 and 12 at idle and revving with everything on. (I don’t know if this will tell me alternator function as my understanding is it should raise voltage to 14v when you idle above 2000 rpm) alternator was making a gravelly noise for a couple of minutes so it’s on the way out I think. I’ll check battery this evening off the charger to see if it is holding charge.

anyway after testing, this 2 car symbol came on and has stayed on. Can’t seem to switch off! Google research says this AAC - automatic activated cruise control- car will automatically slow down when cars ahead at a preset distance and keep car to a minimum preset distance. I’m just wondering if anything else might be going on? I’ve never been into cruise control, but cool option if the car has this variant of it! (Pic attached) 

D9CD06DC-C3BB-41B4-8280-07DBFDA89F4B.jpeg

yep you need a new/rebuilt alternator, it should be 13.5-14v at all times not just at idle, battery should stay mid 12's after settling with ignition off.

I would sort that before looking into any other electrical faults as they may go away with a full compliment of volts.

looking the part up on realoem the regulator is a common bosch part and very cheap, 12311713491  (not from bmw of course!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04G115-ALTERNATOR-Regulator-BMW-840-Ci-850-4-4-5-4-M5-Z8-X5-5-0-3-0-E31-E53-E39/263220872204

that includes the brushes so saves a little work, but if the slip ring is worn that's a little more involved than a few screws but well within the means of a confident diyer (under a tenner for the part)

alternator is listed as a fairly normal and compact 120amp unit, but only listed for the S62.  12311407440, there's a few reasonably priced units on ebay, bmw price is nearly 4 figures.

bosch part numbers are 0 123 515 029  and 0 123 515 030

it will need pulling apart to diagnose the fault though, if its making crunchy noises it may need bearings, again fairly cheap parts in themselves but a little more involved again to change (bearings would be about £4 each for good quality ones)

My alternator packed up totally out of the blue back in October... luckily I was on the way home from Bristol and only 3 miles away...

Even with a fully charged battery I still needed a spare battery to get me from home to my indy (22 miles away) who replaced the alternator for quite a reasonable sum of circa £650 all in ...

Having seen the price of alternators on RealOEM I was sort of dreading going to pick the car up... but my indy came good.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:23 AM, welshpug said:

looking the part up on realoem the regulator is a common bosch part and very cheap, 12311713491  (not from bmw of course!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04G115-ALTERNATOR-Regulator-BMW-840-Ci-850-4-4-5-4-M5-Z8-X5-5-0-3-0-E31-E53-E39/263220872204

that includes the brushes so saves a little work, but if the slip ring is worn that's a little more involved than a few screws but well within the means of a confident diyer (under a tenner for the part)

alternator is listed as a fairly normal and compact 120amp unit, but only listed for the S62.  12311407440, there's a few reasonably priced units on ebay, bmw price is nearly 4 figures.

bosch part numbers are 0 123 515 029  and 0 123 515 030

it will need pulling apart to diagnose the fault though, if its making crunchy noises it may need bearings, again fairly cheap parts in themselves but a little more involved again to change (bearings would be about £4 each for good quality ones)

I've bit the bullet and ordered a new BMW alternator and a Bosch S5 battery (higher amp rating than the BMW battery)

On 24/12/2017 at 10:18 AM, sayanthan said:

Hi 

I went into my secret menu for the first time today on my e39 m5. I was having a battery warning light yesterday. (When in traffic)

battery voltage after an overnight charge was fine -12v and was staying between 11 and 12 at idle and revving with everything on. (I don’t know if this will tell me alternator function as my understanding is it should raise voltage to 14v when you idle above 2000 rpm) alternator was making a gravelly noise for a couple of minutes so it’s on the way out I think. I’ll check battery this evening off the charger to see if it is holding charge.

anyway after testing, this 2 car symbol came on and has stayed on. Can’t seem to switch off! Google research says this AAC - automatic activated cruise control- car will automatically slow down when cars ahead at a preset distance and keep car to a minimum preset distance. I’m just wondering if anything else might be going on? I’ve never been into cruise control, but cool option if the car has this variant of it! (Pic attached) 

D9CD06DC-C3BB-41B4-8280-07DBFDA89F4B.jpeg

Slip Streaming is now engaged ! Overtake !

23 hours ago, slam said:

If only that light came on for middle lane drivers...

They'd still not see it... too busy focusing on the road directly in front of them... very few MLMs in my experience have anything more that cursory spatial awareness, let alone peripheral vision...