Skinned Knuckles

2001 525d Touring Auto SE (Located in Blackpool)

It’s with a heavy heart that the chapter must come to a close for me in favour, for my pride and joy to come back on the road. My red 97 528i Touring.

This is my 2001 525d SE Touring Auto in titan silver with 17” style 32’s from the factory. I bought this from my friend who had the car for over 3 years. I bought this to replace the Alfa 156 as that was bought to take my e39 528 touring off the road to restore. I missed the e39 since the Alfa so I bought this one. Anyway, she has just under 148,000miles which is considered below average for any e39 let alone a diesel. I’ve got about 54mpg @ 80mph on cruise. This can be significantly limited with full on foot-to-throttle force. A/C ice cold too! Auto box changes gears smoothly as too the manual mode but I’ve never utilise that feature often. I have a bread and butter manual 528 for that!!! It’s a great cruiser with 163bhp and the magic 260 ft-lb torque, not quite up to her bigger brother 530d’s figures but never the less!

Initially she’s hard to look at but it’s a popular colour so getting replacement panels from a breaker is easily possible, should you wish too! It didn’t really bother me. I bought the car from a friend in this condition, “I know!!!”.... She has a dent in the drivers front wing, been told my friends neighbour has reversed into it. Dents in the bonnet caused when a pickup reverse up it! Scrapes and scratches are from parallel parking as my friend lived in an over crowded neighbourhood. Rough pitted wheels, seems quite common on style 32’s not to mention a Blackpool car from day one!

In the interest of full disclosure, I found the following to be minor inconveniences:

Parking sensor are intermittent, I’d fixed a broken wire as they didn’t work when I bought it as my friend told me they have never worked when he had it. The remote fob doesn’t work, again, it’s never worked when my friend owned it. Central locking does work when the keys inserted in the door. The handbrake is non existent as they were shot when I dropped the rear end to replace the subframe bushes. It’s an auto so I’ve never got round to replacing them. They’re cheap on eBay and all the springs and clips are in the boot. It has the mentioned scrapes, scratches and dents. There’s some rust as expected but it’s really sound. Jacking paints are solid all round and there’s no rust underneath. Airbag lights on as I’d changed the interior, just needs resetting.

Despite my friend apparently had the suspension compressor replaced with a recon unit, recently it looses air within a thew hours, it’ll pump right up. I’ve changed the valves to no avail. I’ve removed the fuse to the compressor to see if it’s an electrical fault but again, still goes down so it must be a leak somewhere. I’m not 100%. MOT’s due September 2018, rusty rear brake lines were an advisory on the MOT as too front pads but no brake wear light on dash!

The good:
She has had the front control arm bushes replaced, rear subframe bushes replaced, rear passenger ball joint and intergral link replaced, have replacement for drivers side in the boot but not got round to that. Oil change, I’ve ran her on premium diesel only! Replacement washer jet hose, wiper linkage, heater buttons. In my friends ownership she’s had replacement air bags, compressor, swirl flaps have been blanked and an egr delete. The original grey interior was a right mess so I replaced it with the interior you see. It has made a huge difference. I’ve went through an effort to install the two piece BMWl stereo to replace the crappy one piece Business reverse units these came with. It sounds okay in my opinion and the display pixels are great. Local car from day 1 being sold from new within the same post code I live in. The furthest away she’s been is Blackburn and she’d remained there from 2011 to the time I bought her. I’m the 6th owner, my mate before me, his mate before him. I was told before my mates mate it was owned by an elderly gent.

They may be more but I can’t remember at this point but if there’s anything you like to know then give me a shout. She’s had a lot of work done and especially effort with the entire interior swap and the stereo. Not to mention bushes, I wanted it just right as I intended to keep hold of her but loosing my garage and the fact I won’t let my 528 Touring manual go means this one has to go. This car does need work and it’ll be a great start for someone who wants to get into the e39 game. It’s a touring too and you don’t see them on the roads often here. If I do, they get a thumbs up from me. I love these things and this being my third one, second Touring and my first diesel. I’m an enthusiast and I can help you out with all the knowledge I’ve gained with these things. Hopefully I can gain some knowledge for you.

Specs as followed are:
Two tone, campaign style interior. Carpet wants dying as that’s still grey.
Parking sensors front and rear.
Auto Steptronic transmission.
Green strip windscreen.
Cruise control.
DSC traction control.
BMW CD with MID (Good pixels).
6 CD changer.
Shadowline trim.
17” style 32’s from the factory.
Genuine BMW mud flaps.
This also has the webasto diesel heater as do all facelift diesel e39’s

I cant upload all the picture i'd like but drop me a message and i can email all the pictures I have.

She's never let me down and I've had full confidence in driving her around the globe given the chance.

HPI clear.

£450 or name me your offer! I love the old girl to bits and love for her to go to a good home

OH! here's my contact number: 07511626664

Jamie

Me and the car are located in Blackpool! I know my forum states i'm in Manchester. I will change that in due course... 

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

Edited by Skinned Knuckles

Put a price on it pal.

Offers don't work here really, plus no one's to insult you

Price (with or near offer) will get you interest ;)

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Put a price on it pal.

Offers don't work here really, plus no one's to insult you

Price (with or near offer) will get you interest ;)

Cheers pal. A price has been added to the description.

4 hours ago, GStarrr said:

A lot of car for the money! GLWS 

I Honestly don't want to part with it.

The reality is, she's far from a perfect example as far as dents are concerned and some other bits i not got round to doing i.e hand brake and drivers side rear intergral link and ball joint. I've seen them fetch more money with higher miles and crappy interiors. All the usual E39 rust issues are non existent here with jacking points and that. Not to mention Christmas!

The labour I've put into this car was with the intention to just keep her but realistically i cant keep two cars!

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've just come back from a month's holiday.

I still have the car but having a long think, I've decided it's getting relocated and it'll sit there for the foreseeable future until I've decided what to do with it. i.e sort out the niggles to keep as a second car as my 528 is eligible for classic insurance or part it out.

Not sure yet but it'll  be out of my mind for the time being.