F11TouringRyan

Where is it all

Hi all,

Recently got myself a 2011 F11 Touring, 528i, the last of the non-turbo 3.0l petrol engines

I wanted to check the levels on everything and wow, where are all the reservoirs and filler caps?

I can't see where anything is and the manual I have shows an engine bay that's nothing like my own. 

Any help? Just want to check brakes, steering and mainly radiator/cooling 

Thanks

20171222_160910.jpg

Must be the same motor that was in my recently departed 325i. I can't remember much under the bonnet that I could check. I just pressed the oil check button every week once on the motorway and occasionally filled the washer bottle. 

The coolant filler cap is top right tucked into the corner of the inner wing. On mine I can just about see the coolant if I look deep inside. There is no change period apparently on these as I confirmed with BMW. 

Windscreen is next to the DME box on the left side. 

No oil dipstick as it's all on idrive. 

Check the sections between the windscreen and inner and outer wing for water. If there is water in the bottom check the thread on here about the footwell leaks. In fact check it out anyway.

Steering is electric so no fluid to check.

Brake fluid is under the plastic cover on the left hand side.

Cheers

Edited by bmwmike

43 minutes ago, Paulo said:

If you cannot work out where the fluid covers are please don’t start messing with the brakes and steering.  

From the photo its incredibly obvious

Thats a bit harsh.

From the photo (viewed on my iPhone) it certainly isn't obvious to me as it's laid out very differently from my engine bay. 

From memory the handbook is indeed useless as it shows a V8 as "the petrol" engined variant. The hand book told me that I couldn't measure the coolant level from in the engine bay but yet clear as day there is a measure facility in my expansion tank.

If you aren't sure asking is the best policy, that's what we are here for and you have a good steer from Mike.

When end I was new to all my BMWs I asked lots of questions. I had to confirm where the pollen filters were in my E39 as it was the first car I had that had them, where the aerial was in my E39 as to me they weren't obvious and wanted to make sure before I poked around under the bonnet.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

Not apparent to me at all either, so I'm going to ask a further question. When Mike says "left hand side" does he mean the left hand side of the pic, or the left hand side of the car itself ?

Fortunately my car is old school. I know exactly where oil dipstick, coolant, windscreen washer and PS fluid are. Brake fluid I can't see as it is covered, but I know where it is.

Edited by Tuvoc

Good question ;) left side of the pic. 

I don't think it's all that obvious either.

Fwiw the coolant filler neck on my n53 car and perhaps OP's car has NO markings in the neck so no idea if it's low or high. It hasn't changed in two years which is the only thing I can go by.

And also to clarify my post the brake fluid is under the left side of pic under the panel in front of the windscreen.

Just for my two penneth...

Old Army saying - the only stupid question is the one you're too stupid to ask!

On my old E61 (N53) the coolant expansion tank was non-opaque black. The level measurement came from a floating marker and so was affected not only by the physical level, but the fluid density also ie the ratio of water to antifreeze.

.... and I hated the lack of an oil dipstick... especially as the sensor reported as faulty until everything was fully up to temp.

9 hours ago, Paulo said:

If you cannot work out where the fluid covers are please don’t start messing with the brakes and steering.  

From the photo its incredibly obvious

Jeez thanks pal....

...not too obvious for you to actually say i note.

I do know how to maintain my vehicle but was merely asking like minded people who had a knowledge of the specifics.

Thanks to all who actually offers advice

5 hours ago, F11TouringRyan said:

Jeez thanks pal....

...not too obvious for you to actually say i note.

I do know how to maintain my vehicle but was merely asking like minded people who had a knowledge of the specifics.

Thanks to all who actually offers advice

If you are an iPad user, download the BMW Driver's Guide app which will give you a semi-customised user manual for your specific model. On the 530d the coolant reservoir is black with a black screw cap and is found on the right at the front as you look at the engine from the front where yours has a black box/cover of some sort.