Yokozuna

Short break ideas....

Right folks, I'm taking the missus away for her birthday (it's on the 2nd of Jan! Who the fuck has a birthday on the 2nd of Jan....) for 3/4nights. 

Been looking at Iceland, Amsterdam, London (but after recent events I can't see that being at the top of the list....) York, Spain, Portugal also maybe NYC but the flights are mega cash! :shock: 

so the criteria is anywhere in any country, however I'd like to keep flight times to less than 4.5hrs 

must be leaving on the first of Jan and returning on the 5th or 6th and the budget of around £2k for us both! 

IF it's in this country then she wants to go to one of them spa things but I'd like it to be within a stones throw of something to do i.e. a city or large town so at least we have a choice of paying through the nose for our food and drinks or not really....

also again about a 4/5hr drive from the north west as who the fuck wants to be sat in a car for 2 days....

so im sure you good lot have some quirky places to visit or some idyllic hide away somewhere on this rock ;) 

oh the budget is plus spends as im aware of just how expensive some places are when we get there! 

Oh and no skiing or winter sports 

cheers lads :) 

Montreux, Switzerland. 

Fly to Geneva from Liverpool, takes an hour and a half. Then get the train from Geneva airport to Montreux - it's literally walk up the escalator, walk towards the exit and the train station is on the right inside the airport. That takes about an hour but runs the whole length of lake Geneva. Worth it just for looking out the window. The Royal Plaza hotel on the edge of the lake has brilliant views of the French alps over the other side of the lake if you can get a lake view room (worth specifying). That's like my go-to place for a long weekend away. Loads of good restaurants, mountains to go up (hike or train etc). Definitely worth a look! Being Switzerland it isn't the cheapest of places to visit, but you should comfortably be able to do it under the budget. Flghts are relatively cheap too. 

It's without a doubt one of the nicest places I've ever been to. A lovely place to just chill and unwind. Everyone is friendly, great views, and it doesn't get a huge amount of UK visitors. If you want to splash out on her for her birthday from memory it's called the Suisse Majestic hotel - massive glass windows looking at the Alps. Really good food if you want to splash out (as in, I took my girlfriend for her birthday, and it was about £300 without drinking much - eyes watered a bit) but the view is worth it even if you just go in for a drink. 

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Montreux, Switzerland. 

Fly to Geneva from Liverpool, takes an hour and a half. Then get the train from Geneva airport to Montreux - it's literally walk up the escalator, walk towards the exit and the train station is on the right inside the airport. That takes about an hour but runs the whole length of lake Geneva. Worth it just for looking out the window. The Royal Plaza hotel on the edge of the lake has brilliant views of the French alps over the other side of the lake if you can get a lake view room (worth specifying). That's like my go-to place for a long weekend away. Loads of good restaurants, mountains to go up (hike or train etc). Definitely worth a look! Being Switzerland it isn't the cheapest of places to visit, but you should comfortably be able to do it under the budget. Flghts are relatively cheap too.

Hmmmm interesting....

will give that a look ;) 

10 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Thanks for that Dennis! 

I think that's possibly the shortest post you've ever made! :shock: 

its also quite possibly the least informative post you've ever made as well....

im well aware of the travel agent sites but thought that people on here would suggest places that arnt in travel agents itineraries.....

ive just been looking at Morocco, seems very good value, but again it's through a travel agent and most of the reviews aren't great....

you keep them hidden gems flowing dennis.....

:rolleyes: 

Last weekend, stayed in London and did Tower bridge and the monument plus the Shard.

Quite inexpensive and if you wanna check your fitness walk up the Monument 313 steps of leg burning heart stopping hell. But we did go to a nice bar called the Alchemist after and had some nice cocktails.. Oh sorry i forgot northerners don't do girly drinks.. I'm sure theres a pub nearby that sells Thames water :D

Granada in Spain. We did our 10th wedding anniversary there, loved it.

Plate of tapas included with every drink. The more drinks you get in the better the tapas gets. 

Of course there's Alhamra too. Check it's open this time of year. I believe people go skiing around this time. 

Edited by rado16v

Been to Lisbon this month with Mrs Mad - fabulous city for architecture, culture, food and drink

Done the following with the lads: Munich x 2, Prague and Bruges - the latter two are easily good enough for going with a partner. Prague is cheap and so is the beer!

Somewhere in the Alps for me (cold and snowy), or Seville, Spain

Stunning city with a tapas bar every bloody 5 seconds (there's over 3000 of em). So if you like great scenery; great atmosphere, great food and great drink, it's bloody amazing!

20 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Montreux, Switzerland. 

It's without a doubt one of the nicest places I've ever been to. A lovely place to just chill and unwind. Everyone is friendly, great views, and it doesn't get a huge amount of UK visitors. If you want to splash out on her for her birthday from memory it's called the Suisse Majestic hotel - massive glass windows looking at the Alps. Really good food if you want to splash out (as in, I took my girlfriend for her birthday, and it was about £300 without drinking much - eyes watered a bit) but the view is worth it even if you just go in for a drink. 

Just took a look at that plaza hotel! And I must admit it looks phenomenal! And it's looks like it's coming in at about half the budget with flights and a 4 night stay :D 

but I'd bet I'd at least double that just on the spends, oh well it's only money..... ;) 

right going to have a look at Seville now.

keep em coming lads.....

On 21/12/2017 at 4:38 PM, E39mad said:

Been to Lisbon this month with Mrs Mad - fabulous city for architecture, culture, food and drink

Done the following with the lads: Munich x 2, Prague and Bruges - the latter two are easily good enough for going with a partner. Prague is cheap and so is the beer!

+1

I've done Monterux in Switzerland on a drive by and stayed at the Fairmont on the front, drank ridiculously in 'Funky Claude's Bar' :unsure:

Can't remember much apart from being told Freddie Mercury was known to frequent there regularly.

Stunning views though :)