OAPINGT

EGR VALVE REPLACEMENT COST

The engine warning light has come up and have been told I need to replace the EGR VALVE and I've been quoted £245.00 total.

Dose that seem about right,I can't do it myself!

Any advice gratefully received 

cheers

If someone has read your fault codes and that is where the fault lies then yes..

Phone the dealer up and ask them for a price for the part..??

Add an hours Labour and see if it sound right.

Edited by jkas1984

You could consider an aftermarket part. Was the diagnotics done via BMW? Independent garage? Or via Carly app? 

You could try resetting it and then seeing if it comes back. 

Hi it was turned off by an independent guy he reset and it's just come back on !

I've used him for some so just thought I would check.

If it's not replaced soon will it do any damage?

Hi, the EGR valve alone (i.e. without the associated cooler) is £172 from BMW list price.

If it has failed I'd get it seen to reasonably quickly but I'd hazard a guess that it wont cause damage in the very short term as, on other cars, I've read that people have removed the EGR valve and blanked off the hole it leaves behind so. I would never consider it though as it is an integral part of the pollution reduction system. Keep the car nice and standard as BMW intended.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

I would advise against blanking the EGR valve as it aids the increase of exhaust gas temperature during the DPF regeneration.

Also when fitted it needs to be placed in a service mode to retract the valve by 20% to prevent damage during installation, it's about a 20 min job by an experienced technician.

How is a product that supposedly cleans the fuel delivery system going to clean the EGR valve? Also, @OAPINGT's EGR valve has failed according to the indi who read the fault codes. Unless the valve is removed and cleaned mechanically and this restores it to working order, nothing is going to work. I'd spend the £245 and get the new valve fitted. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton