Andrew S

BMW Bluetooth ULF

Sorry, I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere and before

I have a the original phone fitted to my car without its sim card which is tucked underneath as it was from day one. I am sure I have read that you can disconnect the phone lead and attach it to an ULF of which there are many on eBay. 

My question is, if this is the case, has anyone done it and how? 

Any particular model of ULF? 

Where did you fit the ULF as the arm rest I don't think lifts up?

Does this integrate with the button on the steering wheel button for hands free?

Any feedback and suggestions much appreciated as always

Cheers

Andrew  

Hey Andrew,

Your phone module, which is currently in the boot, can simply be swapped out for a ULF. You’ll need to get your hands on an adapter cable, these can be found on German Ebay quite often.

The best ULF to get is the 13th generation one. I forget where to find the part numbers. My 12th Gen one works fine with an iPhone 7

once installed, it’ll be fully integrated with your steering wheel controls and radio etc. You may want to get the eject box for the centre console, or there are cheaper ways of adding the pairing button.

check out this link for more info:

https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/installation/bmw-5-series-e39-1997-2003-bluetooth-retrofit-kits

It’s well worth it, I love it on mine!

simon

I did this back in 2014 using a v5 ULF and it works fine with my iPhone 7. If I recall the wiring wasn’t quite as straight forward as one or two threads suggested but well worth the effort.

Thanks Barry

i understand that the module an be swapped in the boot but under the impression that the ULF really needs to be in the consol and if so, it’s how to get the wiring under the carpet etc. It’s clearly not a plug and play in buying a ULF :(

Very interested

Cheers

Andrew 

The ULF goes in the same place as the TUC (the older phone module).  You need a Bluetooth antenna which ideally goes under the rear centre vents but can go anywhere really.  Other than that you need a pairing button which is normally located on the central cradle, but again you can just use a simple make/break switch.

Depending what phone you already have you may find that the existing microphone is not great, a newer one is available, and the volume from the ULF is rather low even at maximum volume setting.

The electrical part of the install is the same as the E46, John did a good write up here http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2218 although this was just a retrofit not upgrade.