Calypso-E34

Size matters! F10 v E39

I’ve never seen these two parked side by side before, and I didn’t go directly from an E39 to an F10 - I went via a Volvo V70 - so I didn’t realise how much bigger the F10 really is!  It’s like going from a Five to a Seven. 

01A6C8DA-923E-4A37-9D2D-A118EB985ED4.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

Did similar with my father in laws F10

IMO the F10 is smaller inside than the E39. I struggle in the front passenger side getting my knees under the dash (ok I'm an abnormal size :lol: ) but still, no issues in my E39! 

E39's aren't particularly large cars by todays standards, I can remember parking next to a Jag XF years ago and being amazed at how much smaller the e39 was. 

A nicely specced, well kept E39 is still a lovely car. I still consider the one I had to be one of the best looking cars I have ever owned. 

3E8F61D5-9627-4263-85D1-75A298031CB0.jpeg

407644E5-4B2F-45C4-8714-7FD609F5D0F7.jpeg

D6FAA15C-FDF8-46C9-955D-D489EF9B363D.jpeg

5BC16A0F-F8EE-4025-A4AB-24C0189FB945.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

E39 was defo smaller externally. The cabin of my F10 is quite cocooning.

My E39 was at the lower end of the range and it had 15" wheels.

The E60 poverty spec models have 16" wheels.

The F10 poverty spec models have 17" wheels.

That alone suggests to me that cars are getting bigger.

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

But you didn't half whinge about it :lol:

i still think the 39 as big. Can't imagine trying to get an f11 in some car parks. 

With very good reason - it was unreliable.  It spent more unscheduled time in the garage than all the other cars I've had put together, and more importantly, it actually broke down several times.  I had to carry a laptop around to make sure I got home FFS!!  AND - that was a very well maintained car - loads of preventative maintenance done.

Nice car, but VERY needy.  The E34 was, and still is, infinitely more reliable.  The jury is out on the f10 / 11.  I can't comment on the E60 cars, as I've never had one - couldn't live with the interior.

26 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

E39 was defo smaller externally. The cabin of my F10 is quite cocooning.

Funny enough, I would say that there isn't much difference in terms of space in the front seats between the E39 and the F10.  I still think the E39 interior was a high point for BMW.  There is however a lot more space in the back of the F10, especially in terms of leg room.  If you don't carry rear passengers much, you won't find the E39 that much tighter than an F10.

The E39 was the perfect sized family car imho - the current F30/31 3 series is the same size as one. 

However ....and it is a big one the current 3 in comparison the F10/11 does not feel as special inside, does not feel as well built nor refined and everyone has one! Shame as the M Sport saloon/touring in the right colour is fine looking motor car.

Edited by E39mad

My E39 never felt overly large and when I got the E91, it had very similar space inside and don't think it was much smaller outside. I love my F11 but, even now I have done 5000 miles in it, it has not 'shrunk around me' like I had thought it would. It's mahoosive and has no cameras. Thank goodness the sensors are good .... 

6 minutes ago, Retset said:

I love my F11 but, even now I have done 5000 miles in it, it has not 'shrunk around me' like I had thought it would. It's mahoosive and has no cameras. Thank goodness the sensors are good .... 

100%.  It's enormous.  I'll tell you another thing I noticed about it too.  I have always been under the impression that RWD cars have a pretty tight turning circle in comparison with FWD / 4WD ones.  Now - I've come from a Volvo V70, a car which was not renowned for its turning circle - and I can tell you without hesitation that the F10 is worse.  I don't get this at all.

This is mine up against the father in laws:

IMG_20170406_160303.jpg

Not exactly side by side, but the F10 does look bigger/boxier

I still stand by that mine is comfier inside and feels much more put together... But opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one :lol: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Not exactly side by side, but the F10 does look bigger/boxier

I still stand by that mine is comfier inside and feels much more put together... But opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one :lol: 

Actually, if you look at the two cars from behind, there isn't as much of a difference between the two.  As for the interior debate, I can see where you're coming from - it's VERY hard to beat the E39 interior, and if it's fully specced, with a decent double DIN aftermarket stereo, it's pretty close to perfect - even 13 years after it went out of production.  The F10 interior is the closest BMW have come to equalling that tactile quality yet.

I have to say I am very pleased with the interior of my F11. Same held true of E39. The E91 was pretty decent from drivers seat but dash felt too close to front seat passenger.

5 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I have always been under the impression that RWD cars have a pretty tight turning circle in comparison with FWD / 4WD ones.  Now - I've come from a Volvo V70, a car which was not renowned for its turning circle - and I can tell you without hesitation that the F10 is worse.  I don't get this at all.

I surprised my father in law who had a Caviler at the same time I had my Senator.  We were out in my car and he said, you'll never do a U turn in that gap, watch this I said,  full lock, not restricted by horrible driveshafts, nae bother.  He said he wouldn't have got his Caviler turned in that space.

Noticed it in the E60 and F10 that the turning circle was not as good as the Sennie.  Put that down to the much bigger wheels on the newer cars.

I parked my E60 (which I thought was big) next to my neighbours Audi A8, the A8 totally dwarfed my E60.  

Having another look at your first pic Mark and its really obvious how much bigger the F10 is compared to the E39.  Look at how tiny the kidney grills are on the E39!

29 minutes ago, Retset said:

I have to say I am very pleased with the interior of my F11. Same held true of E39. The E91 was pretty decent from drivers seat but dash felt too close to front seat passenger.

I'm finding I have to set the steering wheel pretty low if I want to be able to read all the instruments, including the mileage reading.  With the sports seats fitted, and me being a bit of a fat bastard, getting in is a wee bit awkward.  All good once I'm in though.

26 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Noticed it in the E60 and F10 that the turning circle was not as good as the Sennie.

I parked my E60 (which I thought was big) next to my neighbours Audi A8, the A8 totally dwarfed my E60.  

Having another look at your first pic Mark and its really obvious how much bigger the F10 is compared to the E39.  Look at how tiny the kidney grills are on the E39!

Mmm........ Senator......:):D

The A8 is a very nice looking machine, but I really liked the original Audi V8 from the late 80s / early 90s.  This is the car that taught me about the perils of my favourite sport, namely 'Drunken eBaying'.  I bought one on eBay when I'd had a few too many - and it was a lovely surprise when I checked my email the next day.  I contacted the seller, and of course said I would complete the sale, but luckily he wasn't happy with the winning bid anyway, and let me off the hook.

Kidneys - small yes, but perfectly formed!

5 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Mmm........ Senator......:):D

The A8 is a very nice looking machine, but I really liked the original Audi V8 from the late 80s / early 90s.  This is the car that taught me about the perils of my favourite sport, namely 'Drunken eBaying'.  I bought one on eBay when I'd had a few too many - and it was a lovely surprise when I checked my email the next day.  I contacted the seller, and of course said I would complete the sale, but luckily he wasn't happy with the winning bid anyway, and let me off the hook.

Kidneys - small yes, but perfectly formed!

It was just a pity my neighbour cheaped out and only bought the 3.0 TD version and not the almighty V8 4.2 td version. I've never let him forget it. He then had several horrible Q7s and now is scrapping the barrel with a Q3!

Always fancied a big A8 with a proper big stonking V8 or W12 engine!

Dont fancy the Audi used warranty, which covers next to hee haw compared to the BMW AUC warranty. 

On 12/20/2017 at 9:14 AM, E39mad said:

The E39 was the perfect sized family car imho - the current F30/31 3 series is the same size as one. 

However ....and it is a big one the current 3 in comparison the F10/11 does not feel as special inside, does not feel as well built nor refined and everyone has one! Shame as the M Sport saloon/touring in the right colour is fine looking motor car.

I am considering one, especially in 335d xdrive form! What a rocket!

I never drove one, is it really that noisy? Even with 6 cylinders engine?!

23 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I surprised my father in law who had a Caviler at the same time I had my Senator.  We were out in my car and he said, you'll never do a U turn in that gap, watch this I said,  full lock, not restricted by horrible driveshafts, nae bother.  He said he wouldn't have got his Caviler turned in that space.

Noticed it in the E60 and F10 that the turning circle was not as good as the Sennie.  Put that down to the much bigger wheels on the newer cars.

Andrew, my wife's Passat Estate has a smaller turning circle than my e60! :( 

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I am considering one, especially in 335d xdrive form! What a rocket!

I never drove one, is it really that noisy? Even with 6 cylinders engine?!

I wouldn't say it's noisy ....just not as well insulated as a 5

F10/11's are far to big, no end of shunts to park it at Tescos or the multi storey car park, not to mention having to pass by so many street parking places because it is just too damn big to slot in.

I  once rode an f10 as a taxi, and no it didn't feel that spacious or special inside.