Calypso-E34

Size matters! F10 v E39

3 hours ago, vanhool said:

F10/11's are far to big, no end of shunts to park it at Tescos or the multi storey car park, not to mention having to pass by so many street parking places because it is just too damn big to slot in.

I  once rode an f10 as a taxi, and no it didn't feel that spacious or special inside.

Rubbish. I drive a full fat new shape Jag XJ every day which is longer & wider than the F10/F11 and I have no problem parking or manoeuvring in the above mentioned.

Fair enough that it does fill your average parking spot to the max but so do the 100's of Chelsea Tractors that every stepford wife drives. Give me a big saloon car any day. ;)

C.

Tell you what though. The growing size of the 5 Series and it’s contemporaries must be one of the reasons that cars like the Jag XJ, Audi A8, BMW 7 Series and the like are a much rarer sight on our roads than previous generations like the E32, E38 etc. I can’t remember last time I saw a current Seven. Now that’s one MASSIVE car. 

6 hours ago, cableguy said:

Rubbish. I drive a full fat new shape Jag XJ every day which is longer & wider than the F10/F11 and I have no problem parking or manoeuvring in the above mentioned.

Fair enough that it does fill your average parking spot to the max but so do the 100's of Chelsea Tractors that every stepford wife drives. Give me a big saloon car any day. ;)

C.

Rubbish! well good for you.

1 hour ago, paperjams said:

Love these... wasn’t one used in a bond film. 5 pot turbo from memory or even a v8?!

Right first time - it was a 200 Quattro.  Nice, but not as nice as the V8, especially the bigger engined 4.2.

Edited by Calypso-E34

6 hours ago, vanhool said:

Rubbish! well good for you.

Thanks. Let me know when you need a drivers refresher course and i'll send the girlfriend round to help you out. ;)

Merry Christmas.

C.

1 hour ago, cableguy said:

Thanks. Let me know when you need a drivers refresher course and i'll send the girlfriend round to help you out. ;)

Merry Christmas.

C.

Lol, Good one, and a Merry Christmas to you too.

I only have the F11 as we need the boot space. TBH, It was a toss up between it and a Golf GTD estate. The Golf has similar (actually a bit more) boot space and is equally comfortable and refined and the latest one is stuffed full of clever stuff.  I sometimes wish I had got one as it would have been a damn sight easier to park. I don't actually need to park mine very often, and almost never between 2 cars but it takes me extra time and attention in my own driveway!

If cars keep getting bigger then the next 3 series Touring that comes out could be about right ....

Simple comparison of width and length of 5 versus others:

Width (mm) Length (mm)
BMW 5 2126 4942
Jag XF 2091 4954
Audi A6 1874 4933
Audi A8 2130 5172
BMW 7 2169 5098

Width (mm) Length (mm)

BMW 5

BMW E39

Jag XF 2091 4954
Audi A6 1874 4933
Audi A8 2130

BMW 7

48 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:
  Width (mm) Length (mm)

BMW 5

BMW E39

1990*

Jag XF 2091 4954
Audi A6 2086* 4933
Audi A8 2130

BMW 7

E60           2030                     4841

F30           2031                     4624 

A6 and E39 had no mirrors. :D

Edited by Mojo Jojo

The turning circle of my E34 was incredibly tight for what it is - wayyy better than the E60 is. I could just pull hard up to the kerb in the layby at the cemetery where Mrs. E60neindanke is at rest, apply full lock on the E34 and be out in the opposite direction to head home no probs. Not a prayer of doing that in the E60. Similarly a mate was amazed I turned the E34 round in his driveway...

5 hours ago, Coops said:

Simple comparison of width and length of 5 versus others:

Width (mm) Length (mm)
BMW 5 2126 4942
Jag XF 2091 4954
Audi A6 1874 4933
Audi A8 2130 5172
BMW 7 2169 5098

Now... have a look at the size of a Mondeo - a car I still view as the spiritual successor to the Cortina....!

On 21 December 2017 at 11:40 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

I can’t remember last time I saw a current Seven. Now that’s one MASSIVE car. 

I see several in Glasgow city centre.

Last one was a proper proper one.  From left to right on the boot lid it read. 

XDrive      ///M 760i

Wish I got a pic. 67 plate from a local dealer too! 

Now that's a car and at only a few months old, worth only about 2/3 of its new price!

Had rather tacky V12 badges stuck on it though.

A guy in my work got a 9 month old 740 x drive, loads a toys allegedly 107k brand new, he got it for 48k. That is serious depreciation. 

Beautiful car but bloody huge. You wouldn't take it around an older multistorey, far too tight. 

Edited by McFar67

On 20/12/2017 at 3:54 AM, duncan-uk said:

But you didn't half whinge about it :lol:

i still think the 39 as big. Can't imagine trying to get an f11 in some car parks. 

Oh I can remember the wheel wobble who as if it was yesterday :)

2 hours ago, Piper said:

Oh I can remember the wheel wobble who as if it was yesterday :)

Don’t remind  me. I replaced half the front end. 

I'd always steered away from 'big cars' thinking I'd struggle to park or they'd be a handful down a B road.

I was pleasantly surprised going from an old Audi A4 to the e60. I didn't notice the size once.

The E38 was the biggest car I've owned and found parking that a doddle; but parking sensors do help!

My BB8 Honda Prelude was a swine to park; especially nose in. Not a big car, but the bonnet dropped off and it was hard to suss out where the nose was at times :lol:  Bumped the wife's car, at that time, a few times (only a slight kiss like), but still made me get out and check the paintwork sheepishly :roll: 

15 hours ago, McFar67 said:

A guy in my work got a 9 month old 740 x drive, loads a toys allegedly 107k brand new, he got it for 48k. That is serious depreciation. 

Beautiful car but bloody huge. You wouldn't take it around an older multistorey, far too tight. 

I have taken my E60 plus a trailer round a multi-storey built around 1980. Amazingly, without incident!

I've been thinking more about this. My Dad's XF Sportbrake has a reversing camera but i don't feel the need to use it. My E91 was a doddle with only sensors. However, I don't like reversing the F11 (no camera). I think it must be the layout of where the various pillars on the car are positioned relative to the driver and maybe even the privacy glass. Essentially, I can't see a lot and am relying on mirrors and sensors to go backwards. I think it's this more than the size that's off putting.

1 hour ago, Retset said:

I've been thinking more about this. My Dad's XF Sportbrake has a reversing camera but i don't feel the need to use it. My E91 was a doddle with only sensors. However, I don't like reversing the F11 (no camera). I think it must be the layout of where the various pillars on the car are positioned relative to the driver and maybe even the privacy glass. Essentially, I can't see a lot and am relying on mirrors and sensors to go backwards. I think it's this more than the size that's off putting.

I agree. My F07 is the most difficult car to reverse, as you are wholly reliant on the mirrors and camera. Our previous X5 was easy by comparison.

I once took our E38 750iL into an underground car park in Biarritz in high summer, and caused chaos as there were some corners in the gloom that the car was so long it could not get round without 2 goes at it!