Sign in to follow this  
Coops

Different temperatures from air vents?

There are 4 air vents across my dash - 2 in the centre, then 1 on each side.

Despite the climate being set to the same temperature on each side (22c) the temperature of the air coming out these vents is different. It would appear that the right hand ones are lower than the left hand ones. It is especially noticeable for the 2 centre ones.

Anyone had this before or known why it could be like this?

If its like the previous BMWs I've owned, its due to sticky heater valves,

But

Remember the two centre vents can produce cold air regardless of heater settings if you turn the wheel with the red and blue dots on it to blue.  That allows air straight from outside into  the cabin bypassing the heater matrix.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If its like the previous BMWs I've owned, its due to sticky heater valves,

But

Remember the two centre vents can produce cold air regardless of heater settings if you turn the wheel with the red and blue dots on it to blue.  That allows air straight from outside into  the cabin bypassing the heater matrix.

Yeah thought it was weird at first that the centre vents were blowing cold when the AC was set to high temps then realised what the central wheel did!

Is it worth getting the heater valves looked at? 

Or it's due to low outside air temps and low engine heat esp if used on short journeys. The car being clever and all that, might limit the amount of heat it puts to the heater matrix which will cool the engine and is over riding your request for more heat. Remember it's all fly by wire, long gone are the days of a lever pulling a Bowden cable operating a heater valve.

Get it on a long journey and fully up to temp and then see if there is a difference in heat output.

I wouldn't expect as new a car as yours to have issues with sticking heater valves.

On 18/12/2017 at 4:51 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Or it's due to low outside air temps and low engine heat esp if used on short journeys. The car being clever and all that, might limit the amount of heat it puts to the heater matrix which will cool the engine and is over riding your request for more heat. Remember it's all fly by wire, long gone are the days of a lever pulling a Bowden cable operating a heater valve.

Get it on a long journey and fully up to temp and then see if there is a difference in heat output.

I wouldn't expect as new a car as yours to have issues with sticking heater valves.

It doesn't generally do short journeys - I have a 120 mile round trip commute each day.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and perhaps get dealer / indy to look at it.