Calypso-E34

Why did I go back to a BMW?

Tried to put the window down to take a ticket for the underground car park - nothing. None of the switches on the panel are working. At all. No mirror adjustment either. 

BMW can’t look at it until next Wednesday. So I can’t visit the shopping centre again in this piece of shit until after Christmas. 

This car won’t be with me for one minute longer than the warranty expiry. In fact, it might be gone a lot sooner. It also has some sort of heat shield vibration, and had a spring replaced under warranty. 

Not it good enough. 

So the history so far is:

Broken spring replaced under warranty.

Back in to replace a chrome trim strip which they managed to damage while the car was in for the spring.

Back in for polishing due to scratches 'reappearing'.

Back in for paint - Bubbling had started on the NSF wing due to a poor previous repair.  Lower bumper also painted due to poor finish.

Today - electric window / mirror switch pack appears to have given up the ghost - I discovered this whilst trying to retrieve a ticket at a multi storey.

Also, there has been a horrible vibrating noise coming from underneath the car since I got it - I ask for it to be fixed every time I'm in there.  Still hasn't been.  I can stop it by putting my foot on the tail pipes, so something loose somewhere on the exhaust.  Probably a heat shield.  It also took 3 months to get the correct warranty booklet / letter from the dealer.

So - I'll have to go in with it next Wednesday - the day after Boxing day.  To be fair, they will give me a courtesy car to use while it's in. 

OK, so I'm a BMW fan, and so I do prefer BMWs to other cars, but to be honest, my E34 (which I will have to use if I need to go to the shopping centre again!) gives me more pleasure than the more modern BMWs have done.  My previous car, the Volvo V70, was super reliable, just like all the other Volvos I've had.  So - what is this telling me?

Edited by Calypso-E34

It's telling you they don't make 'em like they used to. Too complicated for their own good. I love mine but I'll keep the warranty alive and chop it in if I have to make too much use of the warranty ... same as the E91 which had many £thousands spent on a hard to find fault. It stops being about the money the warranty saved and more about the hassle ...

It's a six/seven year old car Mark and things go wrong especially when you don't know how the previous owner(s) treated it.

Your looking at it in the wrong light! 

The car obviously doesn't like going to shopping centre's! And neither should you ;) 

its saving you the bullshit of going at this time of year! And I bet come the 28th it'll start working again! 

Well done BMW! :lol: 

My F10 has been the complete opposite (although it was petrol though, clearly the diesel emissions interfere with the cars bodywork! :P). It sounds more like the dealers bodyshops effort than the car itself. 

The mirror switch could be a loose connector. have you not got BMW assist? I would give them a call and say your stuck with windows that don't work and need to go to work where there is a multi-story car park. They'll probably come out out to you. 

Mine is now 4 years out of warranty this week (7 years old) and other than usual consumables (tyres, standard servicing) it has cost me £530 is parts and labour. Not Japanese reliability but still acceptable in my mind. 

My F11 has been a great car... much less trouble than my e39's and E61. Its a bit dull and big but a car I can just get in and drive and cover some serious distance. I think you are being a tad critical and very quick to jump the gun. I have had a couple of issues within the 2 years I have had mine and BMW have put it right each time and been a pleasure on every occasion.  Mine is now 6.5 years old and so I expect it will need some work every now and again. Perhaps you should consider leasing a new one!

A mate of mine - in a position to know, shall we say - commented to me when I told him my E60 had hit 215,000 miles that "ah, that's when they made decent engines."

I am coming to the conclusion that my next car may not be a newer BMW, but a lot of cars in that class are no better: wouldn't be seen dead in the car with the cock rings on the bonnet, Jags aren't all that, Jap barges? Only leaves Volvo, really.

Or an older BMW - but I also need something reliable for a 25-30,000 mile a year commute. At the moment, the E60 is doing that with consummate ease.

Had an F11 525D for 2.5 years, not a squeak wrong with it. Now onto a G31 530D, wonderful drive but I already have the feeling it may be a "Friday afternoon build" - just something about it not 100%, and that's with it only 6 weeks old.

Time will tell no doubt, but while the going's good and the warranty is there, I'm a happy bunny.

S

Oh, and +1 for using a multi storey for going shopping this time of year :) 

Funny enough - about the same time last year I think, the window on my Wife's Focus CC failed - going into the same multi storey!!  Unfortunately hers failed in the lowered position, and as that car had no window frames, that was a bit of a challenge.  Expensive too - from memory we were about £400 all in, as the part was Ford only and unique to the vehicle.  Thankfully that car is gone now.  It was the most expensive car we've ever had in terms of maintenance and repairs.  Unfortunately, she replaced it with a Kuga.  Same shit, different shape.  At least used spares should be more plentiful I suppose.

Modern Volvos are nothing like as good as the old S60 stuff - they were proper Swedish Volvos with the correct 5 cylinder engine and no Ford crap.

Modern cars are great but they are very complex and built to a price. That E34 cost £27'000 new. The last F10 520i with leather and so on was only 4-5 grand more. Go figure.

14 hours ago, e60neindanke said:

Or an older BMW - but I also need something reliable for a 25-30,000 mile a year commute. At the moment, the E60 is doing that with consummate ease.

I wondered for a while whether the best thing might just be to look for an immaculate, well specced E32 or E34 to use as a daily.  I really like the idea in theory, but actually, there's a bit of an issue.  The new cars tend to be expensive to fix when they do wrong, and a lot of repairs are dealer only up here really.  BUT - and it's a sizeable BUT - at least the parts are readily available.  Not so with the older cars now - some stuff is NLA.  It's getting more expensive too - prices have risen a lot since I last had an E34 a few years ago.

You could get by on used bits, but really, for an everyday car, this isn't really an option.

49 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Modern Volvos are nothing like as good as the old S60 stuff - they were proper Swedish Volvos with the correct 5 cylinder engine and no Ford crap.

The 2009 V70 I had was pretty good - not much went wrong, and it had the 215ps engine, which is a fine thing.  The 6 speed automatic gearbox let it down a bit I felt.  They changed that latterly I think, but I haven't tried that.

The BMW interior is a nicer place to sit - more ergonomic, nicer illumination and display - and a lot less rattles and creaks.  It just feels a lot more upmarket. Looks better on the outside too.

Edited by Calypso-E34

56 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

That E34 cost £27'000 new. The last F10 520i with leather and so on was only 4-5 grand more. Go figure.

Ah yes - BUT - Years ago, the on the road price included a punitive 'Special Car Tax', which from memory was levied at 10%, with VAT added to that!!  It was discontinued back in the 90s sometime, however manufacturers just bumped up their prices, which wiped out most of the savings.  Justification was they needed to recoup the money they had spent equipping cars with Catalytic Converters.  So prices may have been artificially high back then.

Or maybe not!

I've been contemplating an F10 or F11 as my next daily but for reasons detailed above i'm reconsidering. My XJ Portfolio which I've had for two years now has been faultless and has only required the usual consumables & servicing. My e34 that I run in the summer months is also much more reliable than my old e39 M5, which had thousands spent in it via its extended warranty.

Unfortunately modern BMW's are just too complicated, hence more problems.

C.

On 19/12/2017 at 11:55 AM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Modern cars are great but they are very complex and built to a price. That E34 cost £27'000 new. The last F10 520i with leather and so on was only 4-5 grand more. Go figure.

There is an K plate Volvo 240 Torslanda daily driver by me, still going strong, no rust, built like a nuclear bomb shelter. I feel like getting down and worshipping it everytime I see it

Maybe I am not qualified to speak on this yet but after speaking to a few people in the car trade I think I have made up my mind to try and find an old car where I don't need to worry about things like  people banging doors off it in car parks etc , and where repairs are reasonable and not cost you a fortune just to get an LED unit replaced etc.

I want to spend my money on me .... not the car.

I've had my 530d F11 2 years to the day today, in that time I've done c50k without issue. 

Well, I say without issue but I've had a glowplug controller and plugs, and a couple of rear airbags. Pretty good I'd say tbf.

I keep looking to replace and i keep coming back to the F11, it just does everything I want in the way i want it, I'd go for a 7 lwb if we didn't have the dog.