ACK0

Newbie-How do I get Spotify Working?

Sorry for the basic question but just put a deposit on a pre-reg 530D XDrive Touring and now want to know all the details?

Do you download Spotify to the car and run it from there or is it only available via the phone?

If via the phone do you get the full spotify display etc?

Apologies if this is all in the manual (which it probably hasnt got anyway)

Rgds

Edited by ACK0

Its via the phone AND the car. I actually can't recall the process, but there is a spotify app on the car (can't remember if I had to add it or was it there by default?) and obviously it is on my phone. I also installed the BMW connected app on my phone as soon as I got the car, so I don't know if that is necessary or not but I did not try spotify until a few days after I installed the connected app.

Spotify now appears as a media item on the car (like USB, radio, CD etc) and when I click it, it opens on the phone but is 'locked out' on the phone. Full control is via the car and includes album art, playlists etc. Its pretty good but sometimes buggy.

I also used the free 1 yr deezer subscription that comes with the car and it is smoother and does not require the phone at all. I now use Deezer nearly all the time and haven't bothered with Spotify that much since.

You need the Spotify app and the connected drive app running on your phone for it to work. Oh of course, your phone should be connected vua bluetooth to the car.

So just picked the car up but even Deezer does not show as an option

Think that I may have to do some sort of initial registration as the car had never been used before but it simply doesnt show

On the demo I used I could see it fine??????

It does explicitly say deezer, it’s something like “online entertainment” when you click on it, it asks if you want to set up an account. You need to go to the connected drive website first and buy a subscription if you have done already.

Edited by Johnyboy

OK I think it my mistake

For some reason I had it in my head that Deezer was free and came complimentary with the car

It looks like that is not the case and I need to subscribe to it first and get it on the phone as well.

Not really an issue I hope as I do have a spotify account anyway

Cheers

Car seems pretty amazing otherwise

1 hour ago, ACK0 said:

OK I think it my mistake

For some reason I had it in my head that Deezer was free and came complimentary with the car

It looks like that is not the case and I need to subscribe to it first and get it on the phone as well.

Cheers

1st year was free for me, but I spec'ed the '6FV - online entertainment' option when I ordered the car. I believe its part of that.

2 hours ago, ACK0 said:

OK I think it my mistake

Cheers

I believe you can still add deezer's one year free music via connected drive. Have a look at the connected drive store in-car or in the computer. 

The thing I don't know is what data gets used for the service. If it's not my mobile data, then I might try it for a year myself. 

Edited by larriebee

If you go on the connected-drive website you can buy a 1 month tester of Deezer for £1, I've done this and it works really well. I probably won't subscribe long term as I prefer just connecting to my phone.

10 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

If you go on the connected-drive website you can buy a 1 month tester of Deezer for £1, I've done this and it works really well. I probably won't subscribe long term as I prefer just connecting to my phone.

I see the portal says you can download to hard drive. Does this work? Seems a good deal if you have one month to download what you want. Has anyone tried this?

Edited by Monkeyfinger

45 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

I see the portal says you can download to hard drive. Does this work? Seems a good deal if you have one month to download what you want. Has anyone tried this?

I tried the Deezer £1 trial through Connected Drive.

It downloads tracks / albums but once the trial as expired there is no access to the tracks. I suspect they are deleted upon expiry. Otherwise everyone would just have the trial and download everything they want to listen offline.

14 minutes ago, Coops said:

I tried the Deezer £1 trial through Connected Drive.

It downloads tracks / albums but once the trial as expired there is no access to the tracks. I suspect they are deleted upon expiry. Otherwise everyone would just have the trial and download everything they want to listen offline.

Exactly my plan...

Honestly, the subscription costs aren't justified by modest music requirements. I have Amazon prime anyway, so I download what's on  there that suits, and whack it in the car on a usb. I know there's more choice on the other apps but its enough for me.Would be good if Prime music was supported directly, but I guess it's all down to what agreements BMW has signed.

The spotify seems very buggy with my Android phone-it comes, and goes/dissapears from the menus/plays but no display or control

Does anyone know if Android is an issue?

Funny you should that SuperDave-my sons iPhone looks like it works a treat

I really dont want to change the phone but having the fully integrated media etc was a part of the decision.

Does anyone have a fuss free Android/Spotify integration in the G30/31?

Cheers

19 hours ago, ACK0 said:

Funny you should that SuperDave-my sons iPhone looks like it works a treat

I really dont want to change the phone but having the fully integrated media etc was a part of the decision.

Does anyone have a fuss free Android/Spotify integration in the G30/31?

Cheers

I'm on Android and mine can be buggy sometimes. I have never used it is my 'go to' source of music so I can't comment on how often it goes buggy in everyday use. But from brief experiences I have had it either fail to respond to inputs and on one occasion disappear altogether until I reset my phone. So it could be an android issue as iphone users don't report these issues.

To be fair to BMW & Android though, screen mirroring works a treat and is Android only.

My first post on the forum, although I've been viewing the forum for quite a while. Many thanks to all for the helpful posts that steered me towards my 530D G31. 

I've had reasonable success with Spotify. I have the technology pack and connect my Samsung S8 to the car via Bluetooth. I had Spotify installed on my phone prior to installing the BMW Connected app (the order may/may not make a difference) and find that I need to have both Spotify and the Connected app running on the phone first in order for Spotify to appear in my list of available sources in the car's media menu. I didn't need to do anything extra in the car to get this to display. Sometimes it struggles to work out where Spotify should be playing, so I select the Bluetooth music option in the media list, just to get the music coming through the car's speakers. You could just leave it running like this, but I find the controls a bit basic running in this mode. Selecting Spotify from the media menu offers much more functionality, but as mobilejo says, the functionality is a bit buggy - the track duration slider is clearly broken, but it does correctly state the length of the track. Album art all comes through fine, as does your playlists and album collection. I haven't tried Spotify radio yet, or running Spotify offline.

One thing to watch for is the audio output of your phone over Bluetooth. Mine was very quiet on standard audio settings, although this is also true for playing any music from your phone over Bluetooth. I went through the equaliser settings on my phone to get something approaching good levels. 

Overall I'm satisfied this works well enough, despite the slightly 'unfinished' nature. I wanted to give this a good workout before splashing out on the BMW Deezer option but have decided to stick with the Spotify solution. My car also has Apple Car Play, but looking at the videos online, I think the BMW solution is slicker so won't be rushing down this route any time soon.