oldjohnny

Glow Plug Controller Fitting

Hi again.

Any links to replacing the glow plug controller on a 2003/4 530d, and just how long a job is it please?

Also would this be responsible for a big increase in fuel consumption?

Edited by oldjohnny

It's not as hard as it looks. Took me 20 minutes, although i did buy one of those long bendy extension things in order to get the nuts off. Hardest bit was unplugging the 2 plugs from the controller. Get a torch down there and just give it a go. 

Replaced both stats a few weeks ago.   After this temp was 92 and mpg 37.9 average.   Few days later temp the same but running a bit lumpy with noticable reduction in mpg to 26.5.    Cold spell arrived,  then hard to start with white smoke first thing. clearing quickly but mpg deteriorating every day and at present showing 18.6.   Only thing showing is all glow plugs out indicating the control unit.  Harder to start as temeratures drop to - freezing.

Strange start up procedure currrently.   If I park in the driveway overnight, facing downwards on the slope, the white smoke is horrendous for a minute and runs like a petrol engine off about 2/3 plugs. This all clears fairly quickly and runs just fine but mpg stiill scary.     However when parked outside on level ground there is hardly any smoke and slight lumpy tickover clears and runs as normal.   Most of the lost fuel is lying on the driveway I think!