Jump to content
Yokozuna

TV guide....

Recommended Posts

No, not a transvestite!

so all of you looking for a easy guide on them click off the thread! :lol: 

 

I'm sat watching gone in 60 seconds on some channel that's got adverts on it and during said adverts one of them was about the Christmas TV guide....

who the actual fuck still buy's them? Are those people unaware of the TV guide that is on every tv now? 

So come on hands up who here still buy's or gets a TV guide? And WHY.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bah humbug yah scrooge.

 

Its tradition to buy one! But at this time of year only.

 

Means you can see what crap is on the tv in three weeks time so you can plan alternative activities like going to the pub with your mates.

 

Inbuilt tv guides only go a week out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:  don't you just go the pub anyway? 

Anything that you "want" to watch is on catch up anyway! :rolleyes: 

 

you could of said theres the crosswords that you like to do.....

;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit like satnav Vs old fashioned road atlas.

It's a lot easier to view a long route on an old fashioned (preferably large) atlas, especially if looking for a diversion (I don't always follow a suggested diversion, 'cos everyone else will be as well!)

Similarly with hard copy TVGuides, much easier to get a full day view across all mainstream channels.

 

My Mrs is the TV watcher, uses a highlighter pen to pick out the week's viewing while having Sunday breakfast.

Far quicker than doing it on the TV where you only see about 4hrs at a time across maybe 8 channels.

 

But I just use Good Beer Guide :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes my wife buys a guide every year she says its part of the  xmas build up. At least we now know to avoid xmas day progs like Eastenders and Corrie, I find it sad that people plan their day around these so called entertainment programmes. Rant over, merry xmas to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KEV755 said:

Yes my wife buys a guide every year she says its part of the  xmas build up. At least we now know to avoid xmas day progs like Eastenders and Corrie, I find it sad that people plan their day around these so called entertainment programmes. Rant over, merry xmas to all.

Hold on, you shouldn't need the TV guide to tell you what to avoid.... ;) 

 

to be fair I don't watch much TV (as in well the soaps an shit!) 

I've got my programs (the likes of gold rush and street outlaws and Grand Tour!) which are all on  demand anyway....

IF our TV is put on, on Christmas Day then it'll be some Christmas films for the baby and maybe old top gear on Dave! :lol: 

 

And yes it's very sad that people "plan" their day around the TV and the shite that is aired.... :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah i remember the good old days when i was younger, use to get the xmas special edition of TV times and highlight all the movies i'd want to watch over xmas. Use to look forwarded to a movie ..Now days we spoiled for choice with on demand, netflix etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cobanstine said:

Ah i remember the good old days when i was younger, use to get the xmas special edition of TV times and highlight all the movies i'd want to watch over xmas. Use to look forwarded to a movie ..Now days we spoiled for choice with on demand, netflix etc.

 

They were repeats, Star Trek & Bond movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit the big 7, O. this week, so I am so old school as to be almost pre-school!  We have the Radio Times delivered EVERY week.  Plenty of reading and info. Vastly better than ‘on the box’ guides and considerably quicker to find something.

There is a point at which the tech approach is actually pointless. ( which is a programme I like btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Fred you've only just turned 70! I thought you where 70 when I first met you 7 years ago! :lol: 

the only reason looking at paper is easier for you is because you need to swap over to your reader's the view the EPG then swap back over to watch the tv! :lol:;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, Yokozuna said:

I've got my programs (the likes of gold rush and street outlaws and Grand Tour!) which are all on  demand anyway.... 

 

And yes it's very sad that people "plan" their day around the TV and the shite that is aired.... :( 

On demand is lower quality than an over-the-air recording in most cases, so if you want the best picture quality, use the pvr. I only use catch-up as a last resort.

 

As for planning their day around TVs, I think that was much more of a thing in the past. Now people have the option of pvr, on-demand and streaming services, real-time live viewing is much less common. I don’t bother with paper TV guides, but I get the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spandex said:

On demand is lower quality than an over-the-air recording in most cases, 

 

Not if you've got sky Q! I watched Wednesday's moonshiner's this afternoon in same quality it was shown in ;) 

the reason for missing it is, I was drinking (not quite moonshine) in the tub on Wednesday night :D 

 

so if it's a generation thing then does that mean in the next 10/15 years there will be no Printed TV guide's for the festive period....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Not if you've got sky Q! I watched Wednesday's moonshiner's this afternoon in same quality it was shown in ;) 

the reason for missing it is, I was drinking (not quite moonshine) in the tub on Wednesday night :D 

 

so if it's a generation thing then does that mean in the next 10/15 years there will be no Printed TV guide's for the festive period....

 

Sky Q uses the same streaming assets as any other Sky box. Believe me, you didn’t watch it OTT in the same quality as you would from a recorded satellite programme... doesn’t work like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spandex said:

 

Sky Q uses the same streaming assets as any other Sky box. Believe me, you didn’t watch it OTT in the same quality as you would from a recorded satellite programme... doesn’t work like that.

Ok? 

I had 2 choices, discovery in HD OR discoveryHD I chose the latter and it was the same quality as whatever was on, on the discovery channel HD at the time! 

I might be mad but I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between HD an none HD? 

But maybe your right and my sky Q box is a one off......

It's a 2TB box BTW! ;) 

 

 

Going on your logic of shit quality, does that mean all the sky cinema films aren't HD quality? What about the 3D films and programs? Maybe I can't watch them on my 3D 4K tv??? 

 

Right im taking it all back and asking for a refund because some guy called spandex told me on a car forum that what I'm watching isn't HD.....

:rolleyes::lol: 

 

 

 

 are you talking about the black 540i that is green AND blue..... :lol: and a SE! ;) 

 

Edited by Yokozuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh you young people!  Just you wait. Specsavers already have you on their radar.  I’ll stick with my Radio Times thank you.  Can can’t wrap the sprout peelings in the online guide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, syncrofred said:

Oh you young people!  Just you wait. Specsavers already have you on their radar.  I’ll stick with my Radio Times thank you.  Can can’t wrap the sprout peelings in the online guide!

:lol: 

with age comes wisdom....

;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Ok? 

I had 2 choices, discovery in HD OR discoveryHD I chose the latter and it was the same quality as whatever was on, on the discovery channel HD at the time! 

I might be mad but I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between HD an none HD? 

But maybe your right and my sky Q box is a one off......

It's a 2TB box BTW! ;) 

 

 

Going on your logic of shit quality, does that mean all the sky cinema films aren't HD quality? What about the 3D films and programs? Maybe I can't watch them on my 3D 4K tv??? 

 

Right im taking it all back and asking for a refund because some guy called spandex told me on a car forum that what I'm watching isn't HD.....

:rolleyes::lol: 

 

HD can be good or bad quality. SD can look better than HD. The fact that both were HD tells you pretty much nothing about the picture quality

 

As for whether or not you should listen to a guy  called Spandex on a car forum, that’s up to you. If it helps, I worked for Sky for 15 years, the bulk of that time in R&D. I know exactly what you’re getting when you watch recordings or catch-up programmes, down to the hardware and configuration used to encode it. Still, I’m sure you’re right, it’s all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spandex said:

HD can be good or bad quality. SD can look better than HD. The fact that both were HD tells you pretty much nothing about the picture quality

 

As for whether or not you should listen to a guy  called Spandex on a car forum, that’s up to you. If it helps, I worked for Sky for 15 years, the bulk of that time in R&D. I know exactly what you’re getting when you watch recordings or catch-up programmes, down to the hardware and configuration used to encode it. Still, I’m sure you’re right, it’s all the same.

Ok champ :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently got an OLED tv which is hard wired into my router.

 

On demand picture quality is great, mixture of BBC, Amazon and STV so far and no issues with picture quality.

 

My broadband isn't the quickest but I'm not losing anything by not relying on crappy wireless wifi signal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of cause the quality is the same as if you where watching it as it's been shown as it's ALL recorded anyway then sent out at a certain time on a certain day! The ONLY thing that is live is sports,  some programs and the news....

 

all my streaming services (Netflix, amazon prime, YouTube, BBC i player etc) broadcast in at least full HD! Most are 4K with the exception of sky! Apart from some films....

And I know the quality as I watch it with my eyes! :rolleyes: 

Ive even watched the same thing on different formats to see if it's in HD or 4K or normal shitty blurry SD and true enough when I've swapped from SD to HD it's like night and day! HD to 4K isn't much different but it is just that bit sharper!

but I can only comment on my experience with the kit I've got....

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×