Yokozuna

TV guide....

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

I've even watched the same thing on different formats to see if it's in HD or 4K or normal shitty blurry SD and true enough when I've swapped from SD to HD it's like night and day! HD to 4K isn't much different but it is just that bit sharper!

but I can only comment on my experience with the kit I've got....

Agree with that - SD to HD is totally different. I've watched some 4K stuff via Youtube on my 4K enabled TV and the difference over HD is very very slight.

Of cause the quality is the same as if you where watching it as it's been shown as it's ALL recorded anyway then sent out at a certain time on a certain day! The ONLY thing that is live is sports,  some programs and the news....

all my streaming services (Netflix, amazon prime, YouTube, BBC i player etc) broadcast in at least full HD! Most are 4K with the exception of sky! Apart from some films....

Ok... When Sky broadcast something over the satellite, it's being played out from a disk-based playout system and encoded in real time at a certain bit rate (well,  technically a bit rate range, as it will be stat-muxed along with some other channels that share a transponder). When they stream something over the broadband connection, you're getting a pre-encoded file - still variable bit rate, but the average bit rate will be lower than the average bit rate of the same programme coming off the satellite. The same goes for any broadcaster by the way - this isn't something unique to Sky.

So when you watch a live channel (by live I mean a linear broadcast channel over the satellite) you're getting a different, higher bit rate to what you get when you watch the same programme later on catchup over the internet. It will come from the same master source material and generally will be the same resolution (lets ignore adaptive streaming for now - you'll just get depressed when you find out you're not always getting HD even when you chose the HD option), but it is not the same encoding and it's definitely not just a 'recording' of the original showing. The two streams are different and the quality is different.

So what this comes down to is you thinking that something is the same 'quality' because it's the same resolution. Unfortunately, the bit rate has a much larger effect on quality than resolution does. Think of it this way - If you have a 3Mbit/s SD 576p stream and a 3Mbit/s HD1080p stream,  you effectively have the same amount of data storage available to you, but need to store 5 times the number of pixels for the HD image - that means you have to compress the image much much more to fit it into the same amount of space. This reduces the quality, so an SD image will actually look better than an HD image at lower bit rates - and two HD videos with identical resolutions can look completely different from one another because they're encoded at different average bit rates.

11 minutes ago, Coops said:

Agree with that - SD to HD is totally different. I've watched some 4K stuff via Youtube on my 4K enabled TV and the difference over HD is very very slight.

This is precisely my point. The resolution is only one aspect and generally the least important one. Not to mention the fact that Youtube uses adaptive streaming so the 4K video may not be 4K all of the time - that will depend on bandwidth fluctuations in your broadband connection.

If you want to see 4K looking amazing (and don't have a 4K blu ray player) the best thing you can do at the moment is check out the BBC iPlayer 4K showing of Blue Planet. Not for the resolution, but for the High Dynamic Range (if your TV supports it). The difference between HD and 4K on 'normal' sized TVs (less than 60") and at normal viewing distances isn't that great. The difference between HDR and SDR is startling.

Edit - When I say 'if your tv supports it', your TV needs to handle a format of HDR called Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG). For various reasons, some TVs which support other HDR formats don't support HLG, so it's not guaranteed.

Edited by Spandex

1 minute ago, Coops said:

Didn't know the BBC were showing a Blue Planet in 4K - will take a look tonight.

They've had a short HDR (in 4K) demo reel on the iPlayer TV app for ages, but it was buried in a link in the settings pages. That was just some scenes from Planet Earth 2. They added the whole of Blue Planet 2 on the 10th I think.

1 hour ago, Spandex said:

Ok... When Sky broadcast something over the satellite, it's being played out from a disk-based playout system and encoded in real time at a certain bit rate (well,  technically a bit rate range, as it will be stat-muxed along with some other channels that share a transponder). When they stream something over the broadband connection, you're getting a pre-encoded file - still variable bit rate, but the average bit rate will be lower than the average bit rate of the same programme coming off the satellite. The same goes for any broadcaster by the way - this isn't something unique to Sky.

So when you watch a live channel (by live I mean a linear broadcast channel over the satellite) you're getting a different, higher bit rate to what you get when you watch the same programme later on catchup over the internet. It will come from the same master source material and generally will be the same resolution (lets ignore adaptive streaming for now - you'll just get depressed when you find out you're not always getting HD even when you chose the HD option), but it is not the same encoding and it's definitely not just a 'recording' of the original showing. The two streams are different and the quality is different.

So what this comes down to is you thinking that something is the same 'quality' because it's the same resolution. Unfortunately, the bit rate has a much larger effect on quality than resolution does. Think of it this way - If you have a 3Mbit/s SD 576p stream and a 3Mbit/s HD1080p stream,  you effectively have the same amount of data storage available to you, but need to store 5 times the number of pixels for the HD image - that means you have to compress the image much much more to fit it into the same amount of space. This reduces the quality, so an SD image will actually look better than an HD image at lower bit rates - and two HD videos with identical resolutions can look completely different from one another because they're encoded at different average bit rates.

Thanks cupcake! 

Im fully aware of file sizes and band width! ;) 

Just now, Yokozuna said:

Thanks cupcake! 

Im fully aware of file sizes and band width! ;) 

That's good news Sugar Plum. Have to admit, when you wrote this bollocks, I just assumed you didn't have a clue:

"Of cause the quality is the same as if you where watching it as it's been shown as it's ALL recorded anyway then sent out at a certain time on a certain day!"

2 minutes ago, Spandex said:

That's good news Sugar Plum. Have to admit, when you wrote this bollocks, I just assumed you didn't have a clue:

"Of cause the quality is the same as if you where watching it as it's been shown as it's ALL recorded anyway then sent out at a certain time on a certain day!"

No probs honey bunny :lol: 

but when you said your not watching it in HD quality when it's a catch up show, that is utter utter shit! 

I get that there is a difference in HD as discovery shed HD is about as watchable as a tv from the 50's and I'm talking about picture quality not that it's quite shit! Where as discovery HD is superbative but it's not as good as sky sports HD or sky one HD. 

Thats all down to sky not allowing 3rd party channels to be broadcast in a better quality than their own channel! 

I know what your trying to get at as in when the show is broadcast it's at 100% but when it's on demand sky show it at 95%....

maybe you should of made that a bit clearer (like the picture ;) ) instead of saying how you made the coffee for the sky engineers for 15 years.... ;) 

anyway, thanks for the input hero and I take it your one of the people that don't use a TV guide? 

Unless it's got a free pack of crayons of cause....

which colour do you think tastes the best?? :lol:;) 

merry christmas 

:lol::lol::lol: 

No probs honey bunny :lol: 

but when you said your not watching it in HD quality when it's a catch up show, that is utter utter shit! 

I get that there is a difference in HD as discovery shed HD is about as watchable as a tv from the 50's and I'm talking about picture quality not that it's quite shit! Where as discovery HD is superbative but it's not as good as sky sports HD or sky one HD. 

Thats all down to sky not allowing 3rd party channels to be broadcast in a better quality than their own channel! 

I know what your trying to get at as in when the show is broadcast it's at 100% but when it's on demand sky show it at 95%....

maybe you should of made that a bit clearer (like the picture ;) ) instead of saying how you made the coffee for the sky engineers for 15 years.... ;) 

anyway, thanks for the input hero and I take it your one of the people that don't use a TV guide? 

Unless it's got a free pack of crayons of cause....

which colour do you think tastes the best?? :lol:;) 

merry christmas 

Actually Sweet Cheeks, I didn’t say anything about ‘HD quality’ - there’s no such thing as ‘HD quality’. I said you’re watching it in worse quality than if you recorded it from the linear channel. As for Sky not allowing 3rd party channels to broadcast in better quality than theirs, that’s also bollocks. Discovery manage their own encoders and uplinks and they rent their own transponders - Sky have no say in the quality. But satellite bandwidth costs money so Discovery lower their bit rate to fit more channels in the available space. It’s their own commercial decision.

It really isn’t a difference of 5% between OTT and OTA. I would expect the bit rates of IP content to be around half what it is on the satellite. If you can’t tell the difference, then maybe you could ask the family for specsavers vouchers for xmas ;).

To anyone else still bothering with this thread, if you want the best quality on Sky, record the channel instead of watching catch up.

Ok little buddy, I don't need spec savers vouchers as I can afford my own vision correction devices! Oh and I CAN tell the difference in picture quality ;) 

you have a nice sleep whilst waiting for Santa to drop off all the crayons you can stomach, try your best not to wet yourself this year, as we all know how excited you get....

11 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Oh and I CAN tell the difference in picture quality ;) 

Err.. You do know that Santa won’t deliver any presents to naughty boys who tell porky pies? :huh:

I had 2 choices, discovery in HD OR discoveryHD I chose the latter and it was the same quality as whatever was on, on the discovery channel HD at the time! 

At least I’m getting crayons...

4 hours ago, Spandex said:

At least I’m getting crayons...

Well don't eat them all in one go this year champ, remember last year? You had multi coloured turds for weeks.....