McBeemer

KDS / Alignment question

Just had new tyres fitted to my 530d - and on motorways/a roads the car is wandering to the left. Not excessively but definitely noticeable.

It has 3 new P Zero's (2 rear / 2 OSF) and the N/S/F was new in July. Running 19" Styles 351's.

I've checked the pressures - running 35 rear and 32 front.

It's under AUC so I've booked it in for investigation and a possible KDS - question is any one had a KDS carried out under warranty???

£149 for a KDS - steep, but local Hunter place wants £99 so thought I'd try the warranty route.

Pressures for the rear are a bit high at 35psi, but not by much.

It could be something amiss in the suspension components, these would all be checked during the wheel alignment process.  I got the wheel alignment done by the AUC dealer as part of the deal.

Get the investigation done which should be covered by warranty.  If anything is found to be worn it will be replaced and if a wheel alignment is needed as part of this work, it should also be covered.  What mileage is on your car?  70k miles and beyond, I would expect to see components start to wear out.  They certainly did on my E60.

£149 for KDS is cheap by the way.

I paid for a KDS on my f10 two years ago and it cost £99 under some sort of value deal.

I recently had x2 KDS done under warranty as part of other work that was done. 

Doubt you could get one done under warranty unless done as part of another fix.

Personally I'd avoid a KDS freebie / warranty as they'll do it as quickly as possible and get it wrong. Hence x2.

My first KDS (paid) was spot on.

Thanks guys - I'm prepared to swallow the £149 - if only to avoid uneven wear on seriously expensive tyres!!!

See what gives next week....booked in for Tuesday.

Mileage is 43k.

Edited by McBeemer

Getting the wheels aligned is probably one of the best things you can do. It is definitely worth it, not just for tyre wear but also for handling. I would also suggest getting the wheels rebalanced. You may find you only need to have one wheel done if any do need rebalanced but you will notice the difference straight away. I had one done for less than £20. The rest were checked for nothing as they did not need adjusting.

Try swapping the N/S/F to a different position and see if it changes anything, you might find it corrects the wandering due to some wear on the ‘older’ tyre. I had a similar problem on a car several years ago and simply swapping tyres around resolved the issue.

That was a good shout re swapping the fronts over - was thinking the same so did it today.

Difficult to tell if it's any different.....or whether I'm just being bloody paranoid!!!!!!

If definitely wanders on the motorway - let the wheel go and it still goes off to the left. Not excessively as I said. My E60 was bullet straight - but it's different set up on the F10 so maybe just more sensitive????

Maybe I'm  just too fussy! :D

Edited by McBeemer

"Maybe I'm too fussy" 

I've found myself asking that too, several times after various visits to the dealers. I've noticed the BMW branding has changed from "ultimate driving machine" to "fun" so perhaps that's what they mean. Friends with vauxhall, kia, and Toyota seem to have far less BS and far more success with their respective dealers. Recent scoreboards put BMW pretty much bottom of the rung for reliability or so I understand. I wish there was one for dealer competence and repeat visits. Soapbox off.

27 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

It definitely wanders on the motorway - let the wheel go and it still goes off to the left. Not excessively as I said. My E60 was bullet straight - but it's different set up on the F10 so maybe just more sensitive????

Maybe I'm  just too fussy! :D

Not normal behaviour. Must be a setup issue with the double-wishbone in comparison to the mcpherson strut of E60/61.

KDS completed yesterday - front was out of alignment.

Dealer did a deal and only charged me £90 and I have the full print out of the pre and post results.

Can tell the difference but for sure the F10 steering isn’t as good as the E60 as many have said.

Worth  the outlay - at least I know I should get even wear out of the new P Zeros....

Dealer also said that KDSs are very very rarely covered via either new or AUC warranty.

50 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

Dealer also said that KDSs are very very rarely covered via either new or AUC warranty.

They know most owners are ignorant. When you replace certain suspension components you have to carryout wheel alignment as outlined in their official technical documentation (TIS). 

2 hours ago, McBeemer said:

Can tell the difference but for sure the F10 steering isn’t as good as the E60 as many have said.

Really, the E60 is better than F10?

My F10 is much more nimble at the front than my E60, perhaps that's due to a slightly lighter engine and lower profile tyres on the F10....

23 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Really, the E60 is better than F10?

My F10 is much more nimble at the front than my E60, perhaps that's due to a slightly lighter engine and lower profile tyres on the F10....

I swapped from a 530i e60 to 530d f10. By far the 530d is the more comfortable. But the e60 was definitely more nimble and sharper on the turn in. Subjective opinion I guess.

2 hours ago, jake13 said:

They know most owners are ignorant. When you replace certain suspension components you have to carryout wheel alignment as outlined in their official technical documentation (TIS). 

Yep - they gave me a video appraisal of the car underneath. Everything was fine and in order so there was nothing to use as a lever with the warranty. I.e. no failed components.

Edited by McBeemer

26 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

I swapped from a 530i e60 to 530d f10. By far the 530d is the more comfortable. But the e60 was definitely more nimble and sharper on the turn in. Subjective opinion I guess.

Slower steering aside I find my 530i f10 pretty nimble, as chuckable as my old e46. I find it well balanced too. It took me a while to get used to it though, in part the gazillion turns lock to lock (steering ratio). Perhaps as Andrew says the weight of the engine plays a part.

On 20 December 2017 at 10:46 PM, bmwmike said:

Perhaps as Andrew says the weight of the engine plays a part.

Yes as @McBeemer went from a lightweight petrol to a heavy weight diesel, that will make a noticeable difference as it will be s much heavier lump in the F10 than the E60.