Flying Scot

Auto Transmission on a 1997 BMW E39 523i

My car is an early (1997) E39 523i, I am wondering what transmission would have been fitted. I understand that some early cars had the E34 ZF 5HP18 transmission and later cars had the ZF 5HP19 transmission. Does anybody know how to find out short of getting the car on a ramp and looking at the plate on the side. Was there a VIN number range that had the earlier transmission for instance.... I am trying to decide on how to change the transmission fluid and filter. My local garage does not want to do the job and BMW state that the outbox is sealed for life. ZF say that both transmission should have and oil and filter change at 50 to 60K miles

Based on the attached reference, GM THM-R1 (BMW designation A4S 270R) is likely.

As you'll see a 523 isn't listed, but I'd guess that all I6 engines for a particular model in a date range would use the same transmission.

SD92-113.pdf

Cheers, guys. My old BMW is an 1800 Neue Klasse, from 1970 and is 47 years old, with only 27K miles on the clock. Now thats old.... I hate the way electronics has taken over cars to the extent that mechanics can't think without the computer to point them to the fault. I wanted an E34 but have to admit the E39 is such a lovely looking car it just seduced me into ownership. It is a nice car to drive and when I put the autobox into manual mode and change gears sequential, I just love it. Did that today, thrapped it about the back roads locally using the gearbox manually, great fun!

OK after a lot of digging, I got on to the ZF Web Catalog and according to the information on their site all BMW 523i cars before 9/1998 had the 5 HP 18 Autobox, after that they were equipped with the 5 HP 19 Autobox. So if my car has a ZF Box it should be a 5 HP 18. There is also mention in various places of a General Motors Auto Box, not researched that yet. However RealOEM quote the a part number for my car as A5S310Z-Ox, when I search that it refers me to a ZF box.... If anybody know better please feel free to shoot me down. I have to admit I find all of these numbers confusing... :)

1 hour ago, Flying Scot said:

OK, I suppose the Neue Klasse is the fore runner of the 5 series... well it is in my opinion... :)

S4300007.JPG

That is in stunning shape. Were those wheels available on that model or were they all steel wheels? They look a bit like the TRX wheels I had on my E28.

She came with steel wheels, but I found these on eBay at a very reasonable price for 5. The purists don't like them but I think the car suits them. I am pretty sure they came from an E30 3 series, but the guy I bought them from assured me they were from and e21. I could find no record of the e21 having this wheel but there are plenty of e30's with the bottle top alloy. The wheels are stamped OZ, but again a lot of people say that OZ never made this type of wheel, I can only go with what I see though... :)

S4300001.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, Flying Scot said:

However RealOEM quote the a part number for my car as A5S310Z-Ox, when I search that it refers me to a ZF box.... If anybody know better please feel free to shoot me down. I have to admit I find all of these numbers confusing... :)

A5S310Z is what BMW call the 5HP18. The Z means it is made by ZF and the 5 means it is 5 speed . The R at the end of A4S270R means it is made by GM and the 4 means it is 4 speed.

Great news nailing that down whiskychaser, I have a lift in my Garage for the old car but the E39 is a bit longer between the jacking points to go onto the lift. I need to make up a couple of extension ramps and lock the lift ramps in their up position for the E39. Weather here in Scotland has be awful all year so not had a chance to do the work. Not got a lot of space with a single garage and short drive.... :(

on the O.Z alloy front, found this picture of their 1994 range of alloys in the O.Z History on the official site, Top Row 2nd down on the left looks like it might be my Bottle Top Alloy..... :) 

843-1994-690x517.jpg

Edited by Flying Scot

For servicing your gearbox, I'd recommend Mackie transmissions in Glasgow if they're not too far for you.

re your bottle tops, they were never fitted to E21s as far as I know

Thank's, that sounds like a plan. I'm only 25 miles from the centre of Glasgow. It would be better than trying to do it myself... :)  As with all these things, the alloys might not have been supplied for an E21,  just like they were not supplied for the Neue Klasse, but they are now fitted to a Neue Klasse and someone could have fitted them to and E21. I know from the supplier that the E21 never turned a wheel with these fitted. Only one showed any sign of being on a car the other 4 where brand new in there packaging, not a mark on them. May be the guy just didn't like them on the car.... :) 

All Neue Klasse are 14" wheels 5.5" Width. If it's a 13" steel wheel you need then the BMW 2002 range is what you need. I should think the main problem you will have is the ET of the wheel. I think the 2002 ET is 15 to 20 same as the NK. The Alloys I have from the E30 are ET33 and that is OK in the NK. The PCD of the wheels is 100..... :)  I would not part with my Steel Wheels anyway, I am planning on getting them refurbished and fitting them if I go to a show, for originality :)

9 hours ago, Flying Scot said:

Thanks Duncan, they do look like a match. I suspect they are an after market copy though. Wish I could find an old OZ Catalog from the 80's, I think they would be in there! :)

OZ may well be the original manufacturer/ supplier to BMW, the style 5's are made by BBS for instance - AIUI BMW don't actually make wheels.

yeah, that!

You wont find a style 5 or a 66 in the BBS catalogue!

most of the older Peugeot OEM wheels are Speedline, wont be found in the speedline catalogues.