Capriandyb

EBay key fob

This may have been asked a number of times but haha.

Iv just bought a 525d 51reg and my key fob no loner charges or works....iv seen you can get them off eBay but I'm unsure  of the quality.

Has anyone bought one of these and had luck with them.if so could you send me in the right direction please.iv had to leave car at work tonight  because my locks that frozen I can turn the lock....not a great start 

Heat the key up with a lighter to free the lock 

or use the boot lock to open the car as that might not be frozen, or as frozen.

as for keys cans you just replace the battery in it? It's soldered in but you "should" be able to replace it? 

43 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Heat the key up with a lighter to free the lock 

or use the boot lock to open the car as that might not be frozen, or as frozen.

as for keys cans you just replace the battery in it? It's soldered in but you "should" be able to replace it? 

I tried to heat key up but that didn't work it's a touring and in bmws wisdom hasn't got a rear boot lock for the key....if it has and I haven't found it could you point me in right direction please

As for battery I read mixed reviews on it..dose it work??...what battery do I need??

31 minutes ago, Capriandyb said:

Will I still be able to get one from that year???

Yes!

2 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Brand new coded keys are 150 quid from BMW. Save yourself the time and hassle. 

Or look on gumtree, shpock...theres a guy doing the new style flip keys...cut and programmed for 100-120 ish.

Why bother with some random on Gumtree? Just get genuine for the sake of another 30 quid.

150 quid was the price for a BMW diamond key, cut and coded. Guy from parts department even came out and did the procedure to sync it to my car for me. 

I'll probably go to bmw but first I need to get in it......im now thinking of smashing window to get in..deicer ain't doing the trick..the locks just not turning.....its been stood over a week so I think condensation with the freezing temps as done the job....im not sure what the designer was thinking only putting one key barrel on door..i thought at least they should have put one on boot

7 minutes ago, Capriandyb said:

I'll probably go to bmw but first I need to get in it......im now thinking of smashing window to get in..deicer ain't doing the trick..the locks just not turning.....its been stood over a week so I think condensation with the freezing temps as done the job....im not sure what the designer was thinking only putting one key barrel on door..i thought at least they should have put one on boot

Use WD40 in the lock (using the straw) and that'll de-ice and get rid of any crud

Follow that up with the same but using lithium grease and it should be fine

14 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Use WD40 in the lock (using the straw) and that'll de-ice and get rid of any crud

Follow that up with the same but using lithium grease and it should be fine

Thanks I'll try that tonight when I get back 

Have you used the key in the door before the remote fob stopped working? If not, it may seized rather than frozen.

These cars have a reputation for the lock mechanism seizing up if not kept free with periodic usage and lubrication.  That was the case with my car when I bought it. Lots of thin lubricant and ~ 15 minutes of working the key back and forth in the lock finally freed mine up. In the 7 plus years since, I've made a habit of lubing the lock and exercising it once or twice a year & I've never have a recurrence. Also, I've never have either one of mine freeze; nor seen a single report of a frozen lock either.

I use a product named "SuperLube" It's a bit of a hokey name but a good product recommended by GM for locks. I've used it for 20 years with excellent results. I wouldn't use WD-40, which is primarily a moisture displacer with limited lubrication. And any lubrication properties WD-40 does have dissipates in a day or two. 

Regards

RDL

Edited by rdl

The guys used key for ages..he unlocked it with key when I picked it up and it worked on key that night...it was when temp dropped day after I had problems I bought it on Sunday night.....its been -6 in day in Barnsley yesterday and -3 today....ill put some wd in just to get door open and get it home then Friday I'll take door card off and I'll have a look at superlube to cover all connctors....the drivers speaker isn't working so I could do with taking door card off anyway

Edited by Capriandyb

A last gasp suggestion before you smash the window with all the grief to follow.

Any chance of getting a hair drier or heat gun on the door around the lock. If it is frozen, as in iced, that might well free it up.

Good luck

Regards

RDL

Just now, rdl said:

A last gasp suggestion before you smash the window with all the grief to follow.

Any chance of getting a hair drier or heat gun on the door around the lock. If it is frozen, as in iced, that might well free it up.

Good luck

Regards

RDL

No mate its in middle of a car park unfortunately ......this may be my quickest ownership of a car ever 

1 minute ago, Capriandyb said:

No mate its in middle of a car park unfortunately ......this may be my quickest ownership of a car ever 

What about an inverter (12V DC to 240V AC). It would have to be a large watt inverter and smallest watt heat gun possible. Around here at least the inverter would be around the same price as a new window, to say nothing of saving the mess and grief of a smash job. You'd probably somewhat drain the battery of the helper vehicle, even with the alternator helping out. But that would be OK so long as you didn't turn off the engine until the alternator had recharged - after one hopes, freeing up .

Second thought,

Around here some of the larger tow trucks have 120V AC auxillary power for lights and tools. Even their fees would be less than the time, expense & trouble of a new window. If you could find one. 

Regards

RDL

Another thought.

Around here, some folks have portable generators (gasoline or diesel) either for special events or to plug into the house during electricity outages. Could you beg, borrow or steal one?

Regards

RDL

Is there anything that can course the lock to seaze as it has even when it's Been in regular use?the more iv tried to work the lock the more it's feeling jammed especially with how much wd iv put I lock..its strange 

Edited by Capriandyb

8 hours ago, Capriandyb said:

Is there anything that can course the lock to seaze as it has even when it's Been in regular use?the more iv tried to work the lock the more it's feeling jammed especially with how much wd iv put I lock..its strange 

Could be that something has broken and stopping it from turning

Or; possibly your key is damaged?

Just now, chicaneuk said:

Are you in a position to get a hair dryer or (at a bit of a distance) a heat gun on it? Might still just be frozen up.

He's already said he's put the window through...

A bit late now.......

but wouldnt pouring hot water around the barrel of worked? 

Anyway replacing the window is easy enough, door card off, move the window down about 2/3rds of the way loosen the grabber thingy-ma-bobs :lol: slide new window in and tighten up then rebuild your door and away you go! 

;)