GoNz0

The old thermostat questions (again)

You remove the valves, springs and pins not the thermostats themselves or you open the water channel to oil.

The inline stat contains a BTT 444880 cartridge,  being made by behr rated at 80c I can't find it online but it would normally be broken up into Behr 4.448.80 of you go by the usual part numbers.

20180412_093706.jpg

Edited by GoNz0

18 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

You remove the valves, springs and pins not the thermostats themselves or you open the water channel to oil.

That,s what I was wondering about. Thanks.

I could convert my old one to be like this, using the inline stat. Following closely. 

Thanks for all the investigative work.

FFS, the new stat leaks.. must have done the seal when it twisted.

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

FFS, the new stat leaks.. must have done the seal when it twisted.

Well they was my blonde moment for the day, I twisted it and as it is keyed it lifted a little on one side, easy fix and pics taken

20180412_161545.jpg

20180412_161541.jpg

By the way I have a complete kit spare as I nipped to TPS and got another, fitted it then realised the original was fine. The 27mm clamps are spot on so I have a pair of stainless worm drives as well.

26 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Well they was my blonde moment for the day, I twisted it and as it is keyed it lifted a little on one side, easy fix and pics taken

So the element itself is working as a valve closing the coolant flow? Which way you installed it on the hose, sensing side on the bottom?

18 minutes ago, Philpy said:

What does it run like now then mate 

I will let you know later as I haven't driven it yet!

13 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

So the element itself is working as a valve closing the coolant flow? Which way you installed it on the hose, sensing side on the bottom?

Yes and yes, it let's a trickle through so it should be spot on. It does have a flow arrow.

Edited by GoNz0

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

I will let you know later as I haven't driven it yet!

Yes and yes, it let's a trickle through so it should be spot on. It does have a flow arrow.

Hopefully all works well :)

well, if it works,  can we expect a nice concise post with parts required and how to guide? ;) 

I haven't done mega miles on the test run, a 11 mile pootle to meet a fellow owner on the facebook group to scan his car then I attempted to get on the A52 but had to detour a few miles until I could get on it and open her up and the same again on the country back roads, this was the result when I pulled up at home.

Next week I will fetch my wife from work and sit in the rush hour so that should heat the box up but for now it's looking spot on!

After that a road trips in order before we do Cornwall next month, a 300 mile trek in the middle of the night should be fun :)

1 hour ago, Dotcom1970 said:

well, if it works,  can we expect a nice concise post with parts required and how to guide? ;) 

Total cost will be between £30-£35 if you account for coolant as well, I had some so todays cost was <£26 for a genuine VW stat from TPS and £3.69 for the 2 clamps.

I will see what I can muster up but I have took pics of the location and tbh if you are happy leaving the heat exchanger alone this isn't a bad job at all, just the radiator fan out to get working room. I had no option but to gut the exchanger as it had failed closed after fucking about with it!

20180412_214801.jpg

20180412_131845.jpg

Edited by GoNz0