GoNz0

The old thermostat questions (again)

Well £197 spent at the stealers, identical unit but this has one complete sticker, otherwise bar the lack of dremel work you couldn't tell it apart.

will be interesting to see if the guy on the parts desk is telling the truth as he said if this one breaks down during the 2 years the car can come in for the warranty repair even if it isn't fitted by BMW and if faulty they will replace it and claim the costs back via BMW.

Just now, JasonH said:

Yes the BMW parts warranty is supposed to cover the labour to replace the part as well.

Good, I'm sick of changing it :)

So Hella replied this morning, obviously they are not accepting they have defective parts as I got this, so did the other guy who had phoned just before this scripted response was sent out.

Good Morning Gareth,

I hope you are well?

I have had a reply from my colleagues in Germany that have confirmed my first thoughts.

We have no issues with this part in Europe,

My only suggestion is that you take the vehicle to a BMW OE Garage to ascertain if there is a fundamental fault elsewhere in the system that may cause this

Once we have the parts back from your supplier, we will send these over to our parent company in Germany for a complete test.

My personal thought is that there is no issues with the parts but somewhere else on the vehicle

Regards

Steve

I would like anyone else to check temps as this seems to be a big problem with recent Hella/Behr heat exchangers. If a few more of us find the same they may take note, maybe they already are but they won't admit it!

I think the EGR opening creates enough flow to push coolant through the gearbox heat exchanger up into the rad, it doesn't take much on a cold day to cool it down. The big pipe #5 is stone cold throughout, this gets hot with the main stat opening as the opens the loop to it, it remains stone cold with a knackered gearbox heat exchanger as the engine never gets hot enough unless you're sat in traffic.

Was there ever a conclusive decision over which makes of thermostat to avoid and which to buy?

I need a new one, and I'm looking at either a Mahle or Gates

Took mine on a nice long trip today. 100 miles each way, and the temperature finally reached the mid eighties, as it should be...  So, I'm fairly sure my gearbox stat is goosed.

I would say I'd change it, but I'm changing the car instead. Just never really 'felt' the feeling in the E61, so it's going. On to an X5 instead.