carrman

G30 in the Snow

My car didn't provide edrive and showed --- on the dash for a few miles yesterday. It was weekend so I hadn't preconditioned. Then it kicked in...just a warning in case anyone else sees this. Obviously battery wanted warming before starting to work. It was about 2.5c so not even that cold.

Just preconditioned mine whilst clearing the drive.

10 minutes at most.

26% charge and 3 miles - down to 7% and no range.

Not plugged while I did it  though.

6 inches of snow on the car though - a lot more than earlier!

Edited by carrman

So that'll be a yes then! The cold effects the battery in your car like my iPhone....

so all this global warming that petrol has caused will help the batteries stay working as we won't have many days like today anymore....

;) 

I tried driving today, live on a small incline and cobbled street. Did 70 yards, ass started wiggling about, reversed back in and now I'm out of beer :(

33 minutes ago, larriebee said:

Forget about the battery, I'm more upset that you have snow and I don't. Do you live in Scotland? @carrman

Midlands.

Grew up in Aberdeen though - so used to driving in Snow.

Edited by carrman

11 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

I tried driving today, live on a small incline and cobbled street. Did 70 yards, ass started wiggling about, reversed back in and now I'm out of beer :(

Did you try DTC?

Effectively locks the diff (by braking) but doesn't throttle back the engine.

Found it most enjoyable on my F10 - and maintained momentum on hills.

yup, tried DTC and manual and into 2nd gear on paddles to control throttle as best as I could but snow was fresh and it was all mushing up under the wheels. I found it hilarious, wife was rather pissed off (we were supposed to go see a puppy)

When I suggested ill go to BMW next weekend and trade in for an Xdrive she was even less impressed haha.

Hoping that snow sticks over night, still plenty left. Think I may have to work from home Darn It!

Tyres are the issue.

4wd doesn't stop you ending up in the ditch.

Always fun to see the SUV's (or Audi's) off the road at this time of year (4wd or not)**

** "proper" 4wd's always manage OK.

Been everywhere today in a rwd 535d F 10 on winter tyres. No problems even when 4wd SUVs (including the wife's 4wd Kuga on all season tyres) were struggling. I lived in Germany for a number of years where they have proper winters and i learned a lot about winter driving. Tyres, not number of driven wheels, make all the difference. You may not like it but that's how it is.

Let the torrent of abuse from the sceptics commence....

Likewise in the 530d, not even full winters (crossclimates) and she ploughed on like a trooper,  much to the surprise of a few drivers who expected otherwise i think.

Edited by SuperDave
Typo

7 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Been everywhere today in a rwd 535d F 10 on winter tyres. No problems even when 4wd SUVs (including the wife's 4wd Kuga on all season tyres) were struggling. I lived in Germany for a number of years where they have proper winters and i learned a lot about winter driving. Tyres, not number of driven wheels, make all the difference. You may not like it but that's how it is.

Let the torrent of abuse from the sceptics commence....

Nothing to complain about here - 100% correct :)

My driving test in Aberdeen (many, many years ago) was cancelled due to snow...but my driving instructor still took me out to drive in the snow...can't imagine that happening now.

Edited by carrman

Well it stopped snowing here well ahead of the forecast, but we still had nearly 9 inches. I live at the very end of a very steep farm road, so my other car is a Land Cruiser. I don't think my G31 even though it's xdrive would be very happy with getting up that hill in the packed snow! In the LC it's no drama, just stick crawl control on and let it do it's thing. Lots of abandoned cars and fallen trees around here and we have no power (lots of lines down, but Western Power say they're still hoping to get power back this pm).

Very few cars on the roads, BUT I was tailgated twice by little Audis! Not sure what magic Audi put into their cars so that they can run at high speed in the snow, but I wish they would sprinkle some of that magic pixie dust on the owners and improve their eyesight. Yes, that is a dirty great big tow bar on that near 3 tonne 4x4 you are 50mm away from in your fragile little tin can! 

Photo out of the window for Larriebee, who's missed out on the snow !

IMG_0971.thumb.jpg.76e87b3857bcc9788cf51af7b83cba21.jpg

Unfortunately my 530e has been fine both on snow yesterday and ice today.

I was hoping to miss work but the damn car performed well on the 60 mile round journey on both days.....:angry:

1 hour ago, carrman said:

Of course it also comes down to the drivers skill :)

Well, I didn't like to boast.....:D:D

Actually it's probably down to the new tyres.........I've only done about 3000 miles so far, so the threads must be doing their job, even though they are not a winter tyres.

Edited by farzad

5 hours ago, Carl Spilman said:

The extra 200kg  pushing down on the rubber also helps in the snow.

Very true

On 12/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, carrman said:

Tyres are the issue.

4wd doesn't stop you ending up in the ditch.

Always fun to see the SUV's (or Audi's) off the road at this time of year (4wd or not)**

** "proper" 4wd's always manage OK.

No but it does help you not to get stranded on motorway exit on the m40 like the BMW I saw last week.

I'm pretty impressed with x drive in the snow.

I also climbed quite a steep hill (scenic hill view)  with no problems . The Mercedes in front of me got stuck and was slithering sideways. Had to help push it :)