gine39530d

Best cheap anti theft solution?

I once went to view an Opel Manta for sale in Liverpool years ago, no owner but the car was open so gave it a look over, before jumping into the driving seat, I removed a small cushion, on turning it over found it was just a cloth covered piece of plywood with about 20 one inch nails sticking out of it, coverd by the cloth. I guess he didn't like car thrives.

P.S. I bought the car it served me well, and enjoyed driving it for 2 years.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, e60neindanke said:

I've heard people say Diskloks are quite easy to overcome, is that true?

Not without an angle grinder or power tools i don't think.

Enough to deter the opportunist and even the more targeted thief unless they take it away on a flat bed in which case there isn't much you can do!

For "Anti theft" I'd be looking at some physical security (disclock, moving the obd port etc.) and a decent immobiliser.

Trackers are for getting it back when it's been ragged about, personally they can keep mine, I don't want it back. 

Ref the phone thing, you can get a signal jammer for around £20 so a waste of time in most cases.

Edited by sshooie

Any visual deterrent would be best IMO. If a thief thinks they'll have to spend time removing a gear lock or steering wheel brace then most will move on and look elsewhere.

C.

10 hours ago, cableguy said:

Any visual deterrent would be best IMO.

Agree

I used to use a stop lock steering wheel bar thingie on the Mini and Senator, but it dug into the leather on the E39 steering wheel and pressed on the horn button so it got forgotten about.