1320Arbroath

Reliability

550i M sport 2012. Bought approved with 12 month warranty & care.Owned for 2 months & 7 days. Been into the stealership 3 times and still there now. First fault on motorway and all systems shutdown. Allsorts of drivetrain, brakes, transmission faults flagged up. Dealer couldn’t replicate fault so reset. Then when putting winters on noticed suspension boots split, when braking vibration issues. Warped front disc. Both fronts replaced. Then accelerating off roundabout and boing! Drivetrain error. Car shutdown some cylinders and was vibrating all over the shop. Assist came and checked and told me to drive to dealers. Now in had 3 injectors replaced and now waiting on a high pressure fuel pump being fitted. Currently driving a ‘courtesy’ Mini Cooper convertible. Mentioned to dealer about USA recall care bulletin on N63 engine and all 550’s having lots of parts checked and changed including engine parts I’ve just mentioned. Got a

smirk and fobbed off. What’s goin on with BMW.? Not a happy Chappy as I was loving the car.

Your right about them Having a recall in America for this model a few years ago, it was quiet a big deal so I’m surprised your dealer isn’t fessing up, they called it a customer care programme but basically it involved a lot of modifications to the engine to stop it drinking oil and failing.  I think it’s not documented in the uk much as they produced so few of them.  However in the states it was a very popular model until they started having issues.  There are loads of threads that document crazy bills

start here and have a read and a google

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256262

they fixed the problem with the LC I engine apparently 

Saying that they did the same with the 520d ………

LCI seems to mean …… your engine won’t blow up..... we think we fixed it…… but bear with us lol

Edited by Paulo

9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

There are so many reports of issues with the 550i cars I wouldn't touch one. I suggest you get them to fix the car and then flog it. Get into a 535i. These seem to be quite robust.

Sorry this isn't one of my most helpful posts.

Don't worry Matthew, I've edited your post to make it more helpful!:D

The AUC warranty is great, perseverance is needed to get the issues sorted. The minute it faults, get on to BMW emergency assist and let them deal with it. This puts you higher up the queue in the workshop for getting things fixed.

Make yourself a pain in the dealers side until its resolved to your satisfaction.

Stamp your feet and make a noise.

Sorry, like Matthew said, it's not much help but you have the warranty on your side at present.

Although which dealer are you dealing with? There are two in the Glasgow area and one I wouldn't trust with a Mars bar let alone a V8.

19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Make yourself a pain in the dealers side until its resolved to your satisfaction.

Stamp your feet and make a noise.

Sorry, like Matthew said, it's not much help but you have the warranty on your side at present.

Although which dealer are you dealing with? There are two in the Glasgow area and one I wouldn't trust with a Mars bar let alone a V8.

This pisses me off with things like this, you shouldn't have to make a fuss, they should take a leaf out of Lexus book regarding warranty. A friend had an old one with an auc warranty and they were shit hot every single time, replacing stuff from suspension parts to headlights.

All that down time after 2 months ownership. Not good. I would find out your legal rights, either from a free legal helpline you probably have included with something or Citizen's Advice. It might be an option to reject it and start again. In your position. it's what I would want to do if it was possible.

Even if it means being stuck with a 535i next. (joke, Andrew ;))

If it's not legally possible, I would be pushing as high up the management chain as I could at your stealer for resolution/refund/exchange depending on what you want most.

My 325i started giving problems at 10 years old. All to do with injectors/sensors/ECU/pumps etc. It had thousands of pounds worth done on it (extended warranty thank fook) and then the problem surfaced again. I know how annoying it is keep taking them to dealers and feel your pain. The recurrence of the rough running and orange light (even though it only lasted 5 miles) was the final straw. I wanted more space, xenons and a good sound system so chopped it in for my F11.

+1 on using assist where possible and the priority it brings with it. I would be pushing for a second years warranty FOC. Once it's had all the work done, it should be a reliable car and the second years warranty will give you the piece of mind. If the supplying dealer is the one your using for repairs, It would perhaps be worth having a chat with the dealer principal to see what options are available before ringing BMW HQ. 

2 minutes ago, sanjx said:

+1 on using assist where possible and the priority it brings with it. I would be pushing for a second years warranty FOC. Once it's had all the work done, it should be a reliable car and the second years warranty will give you the piece of mind. If the supplying dealer is the one your using for repairs, It would perhaps be worth having a chat with the dealer principal to see what options are available before ringing BMW HQ. 

Short of rejecting the car, I would want a new engine with 3 yrs / 60,000 miles manufacturer warranty. This would be a satisfactory outcome.

My F10 came from JC in Aberdeen. No issues there other than selling it to me with shitty non rft Nexen rear tyres on it.

DP in Hillington are only slightly better than DP in Kyle Street, as in I got the car back from Hillington, which I didn't from Kyle Street.

Update on the car ... 4 injectors, HP fuel pump... fuel line... then I got the old ‘ we drained the petrol tank and the fuels looking iffy’ told him to stop right there.. only fill with shell v and I said ‘ are you attempting to blame me? What do you want me to do -take sample before I fill up? Still not fixed..

So car has been in since 4th December- not had an update since the 23rd.. still got a mini convertible loaner and had to drive to Aberdeen in it to go offshore... emailed them expressing my disappointment and what I want on a way forward and was told - ‘ we’ll speak about what happens next after we get to the bottom of what’s wrong’ ..... unbelievable! Shame on you BMW...

Edited by 1320Arbroath

Thanks to the Consumer Rights Act in 2015 the minimum warranty period that a dealer has to provide for any car sold to a consumer is six months. The law assumes that until those six months are up any faults with the car were pre-existing at the time of sale and the dealer is liable to rectify them in full at no cost to the purchaser. This is regardless of whether the car is purchased with a warranty or not. Pre-existing faults are never covered on a warranty in any case. This does not apply to sales to the trade. The Honest John website has a lot more details about this.

Edited by Johnny Grabble

10 hours ago, 1320Arbroath said:

Update on the car ... 4 injectors, HP fuel pump... fuel line... then I got the old ‘ we drained the petrol tank and the fuels looking iffy’ told him to stop right there.. only fill with shell v and I said ‘ are you attempting to blame me? What do you want me to do -take sample before I fill up? Still not fixed..

So car has been in since 4th December- not had an update since the 23rd.. still got a mini convertible loaner and had to drive to Aberdeen in it to go offshore... emailed them expressing my disappointment and what I want on a way forward and was told - ‘ we’ll speak about what happens next after we get to the bottom of what’s wrong’ ..... unbelievable! Shame on you BMW...

LOL, 5 years ago they would have said, fill up with BP (Castrol parent company) only. Can someone dig out any technical service bulletins (TSB)?

Latest. Asking my permission to fill the tank and add additives. I have now to pay for said full tank and £30 worth they put in during testing. Needed for extended test drive. I gave them the car with over 1/2 a tank... wtf!

The original N63 was a useless engine from start to finish in the original guise. The N63tu was much better. In the US the stories of people with drivetrain errors just goes on and on - most usually had oil and/or coolant issues.

That bulletin you got as you probably know brought about a number of changes and updates to the N63, but in many cases for a lot the whole engine was changed. But even now it still has the odd fault (I think many in the US referred to it more as a sticking plaster).

Speaking with a few of my dealer techs the biggest issue they have is simply lack of experience (owing to rarity) and the fact that the N63 in the original format was just a complete problem child. The N63tu seems to have corrected all those mistakes in a majority (I would not say all tu variants are perfect but there does seem to be less issues).

What always surprises me is how few actual issues with oil or coolant the S63 has had in comparison and how problematic the N63 has proven to be to BMW.

The other factor here is in the US BMWNA bought most of the N63 equipped cars back. IMO just get rid of it, the hassle it will cause is just not worth it and more so in unfortunately in a country who has techs with even less experience with the N63.

This has turned into a nightmare... I’m waiting on the full list of parts replaced but spoke to the guy at DP today and he mentioned an alternator and a wiring loom as well. TBH he didn’t know much as it was a courtesy call to let me know they have driven the car to Aberdeen and took the loaner mini back. I can’t blame DP but as for JC Aberdeen I’m fuming to say the least, and can’t do nowt as not home from work till next Tuesday.

Im sorry to hear this, dont really think it will get fixed properly so move to reject on the grounds it has significant faults that they seem unable to remedy within a reasonable period (and cost to you) . Best get some legal advice and get it moving so they are legally informed of your expectations in line with consumer laws etc.