Loadmaster

How Long Have You Owned Your E39?

22 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I'm quite a newbie, having only acquired my 530D Touring back in March of this year. Pleased to say I've already had the chance to take it on a good run back home to Germany in that time!

I used to visit North Germany three times a year, car was rammed full, loved the autobahns, cruise at 90mph and still get 40+mpg

1 hour ago, FIBAMAN said:

I used to visit North Germany three times a year, car was rammed full, loved the autobahns, cruise at 90mph and still get 40+mpg

Indeed. Was most impressed. Had a car full of camping gear, and me and a mate in the car and still was knocking on 50MPG overall on the trip. What a machine.

I have had my 2002 530 Touring for 13 years. 

She has 160.000 on the clock 100.000 are down to me. 

The NS wing needed replaced and the rear arches were showing rust. The Mrs thought it was time i changed to a newer car! Didn't happen new wing and all rust sorted out.

I absolutely love this car!

She looks as good as new now and I don't mean the Mrs!!

Bought mine about 13 months ago, covered 20,000 miles in that time. Really, really like it. Some money spent, and more still to spend, but (hopefully) on more cosmetic things 

Edited by The Spooner

2001 tourer auto 525d....1 week 2 days....iv got to win the least time surely....198k on clock i got it for good money so got money left over so new parts are already going on....it was shakey at first but love the way it looks and drives 

Edited by Capriandyb

Impressive with how long some owners have owned their cars - hats off to you

Off topic but thought I mention this: B3 = 11 years

Back to E39:

B10 3.3 owned for 8 years.  Driven about 11000 miles since purchased.  Total mileage according to last MOT is 157318 - only driven about 400 miles since last MOT.

in 2015 went on the autobahn, and I was not aiming for the car's top speed but found a nice stretch of road, when checked TomTom it said 260 kmh which is 162 mph.  The car still had more oomph, and I have no doubts it would have reached it's official top speed of 165mph but ran out of autobahn :lol:

Edited by nealpina

On 12/18/2017 at 1:22 AM, E39Man said:

I've owned mine for nearly 7 years. Bought it with 103k now showing 122k. Approx 2.7k per year!

Does that mean I win the 'least used' award?!

I thought that I might do better that that, but no, not quite.

Just worked it out - average of 3.6k per year over nearly nine years...! Bought on 87k, today is 120k.

Edited by Loadmaster

Bought my 2.2 SE new in March 2001, built to my spec; so 16 years 9 months and 138k miles. I am very fond of her but she has cost me a bomb recently. Going to have the shocks replaced in the new year. If not delighted with the result that's the last I'm spending!  I think I'll go for a VW passat next time :shock:

I tried a Passat in 2001 before I bought my 525d. The 6 cylinder engine was incredibly smooth and vibration free by comparison with the VW 4 pot. Maybe things are better now. I have replaced my front shocks plus ARB bushes and drop links on the 525d but have still not yet got back the quality of ride that it used to have.

54 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I tried a Passat in 2001 before I bought my 525d. The 6 cylinder engine was incredibly smooth and vibration free by comparison with the VW 4 pot. Maybe things are better now.

I imagine things have moved on apace since 2001. My wife's Golf 1.4 TSI  is smooth. I don't like the front-wheel drive very much but it is only BMW/Jag/Merc and the so-called muscle cars that are RWD now - or so I believe; so those who prefer RWD are not exactly spoiled for choice. Anyway I am more interested in comfort than dynamics these days; there are enough d*ckheads on the roads without another.

54 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I have replaced my front shocks plus ARB bushes and drop links on the 525d but have still not yet got back the quality of ride that it used to have.

That worries me more than a little; just how much does one have to spend to bring our cars back to original ride-quality; or original anything quality? I was less than delighted with the recon gearbox I had fitted in the spring. I don't know, maybe it was always a bit notchy and I am looking at the past thru rose-tinted specs.

I am incredibly attached to the old girl but at some point I will have to let go. TBH it will be a relief not to worry about what is going to go wrong/need replacing next. Just saying.

Not a true E39 comparison as it is with my B10.  IMO the ride in my E39 is better than a VW Passat

Edited by nealpina
Forgot to type ‘Not’ a true*

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:22 AM, E39Man said:

I've owned mine for nearly 7 years. Bought it with 103k now showing 122k. Approx 2.7k per year!

Does that mean I win the 'least used' award?!

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Loadmaster said:

I thought that I might do better that that, but no, not quite.

Just worked it out - average of 3.6k per year over nearly nine years...! Bought on 87k, today is 120k.

My average per year since purchase is 1375 miles

Daily 530d nearly 6 years

Now a 225k car - full intention to keep forever

"Toy" B10v8 6 months ish

Some of the low milages here cause me concern! Go for a drive people, just for the sake of it! 

My Alpina's on course to hit it's classic insurance policy limited 5k annual milage and I don't even take it out other than to burn liberal quantities of shell v power and cheer me up, all year round enjoyable classic!