Sign in to follow this  
RichC69

Eratic Rear Wiper

Hi all,  I am having an issue with the rear wash wipe on my 2010 520d Touring.  I have done the hinge wiring repairs and washer tube repair,  so all of the wiring seems to be ok,  the issue I am having is that when first started,  the wash wipe will work,  the wiper will do approx 6 sweeps and then stop where it likes.  If I restart it with the wiper switch it will do this for 3 or 4 cycles but then stops until I turn off the main power with the start stop button (when safe to do so of course!).  This seems to reset the body control module,  and the wiper will start working again repeating the sequence above.  The glass hatch switch seems to work ok,  and stops the wipe working if the glass is open.  That said,  the internal boot release is a bit odd,  in that it seems to prioritise opening the glass hatch first,  the full boot release doesn't work until the glass hatch has been opened and re-closed,  and then the full boot can be opened,  whereas double pressing the boot release on the key fob releases the full tailgate.  I am just wondering if this is normal,  or could the switches be playing up and confusing the bcm to think the hatch has opened,  that doesn't explain the random wiper parking though,  or only working for 3 or cycles per 'ignition' on.

If anyone has had a similar issue and has a solution,  I'd be pleased to hear from you.  Thanks Rich

I know that the wiper will stop working if the car thinks the glass is open, so my money would be on either that switch, or the wiring to that switch.