micmatt313

525ix refreshed

Not exactly my new car as i've had it for around a year, but now I've got it back from Steve at Classic Bahnstormers it drives as BMW intended, and with a partial respray it looks pretty good too!

Next on the list is a set of new tyres and probably a replacement windscreen as the refraction from oncoming headlights on the scratches and swirls are effectively blinding on unlit roads :blink:

I also want a new head unit and after reading a couple of threads on here have pretty much decided on the blaupunkt toronto bt400 - there's nothing on eBay at present, so if anyone know's of one for sale i'd be interested.

But for now i have a 600 mile round trip over the weekend to enjoy :)

IMG_2976.JPG

Nice ix! How many miles? What recent work did you have done to it. Awesome cars had a calypso red ix touring auto in the past. 

Thanks. Mainly front suspension - either replaced or in the case of the shock's, refurbished.

Then there was a lot of other bits such as the tailgate and tailgate glass struts, window motors, thermistors, heater valve, viscous fan.

There were a few dings, scratches and bumps to be removed as well as a bit of welding for the MOT.

Overall its wearing 170K+ pretty well - apart from the drivers seat - which if forgot to mention above - is certainly showing its age. So if anyone has a grey cloth seat in good condition please shout.

Michael,

am very pleased to see you have got it back again, Steve's been telling me all about it.  I refurbished mine a few years ago and have never regretted it, they are great cars to operate.

Mine's about to undergo more refurb, namely a new heat exchanger, heater fan, brake lines, EH lines, etc, am looking forward to getting it done.

What was the final bill from NAgengast for the front shocks?

Geoff

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for taking the time to drive mine and for your thoughts and advice.

Including the carriage it came to around £350 to refurbish the shocks - with a 2 year warranty.

So cheaper than replacing.

New tyres fitted this morning so she's just about ready for the winter. They had to clean away quite a bit of surface corrosion on the wheels, so probably due a refurb next year

Thanks and agreed - only previous touring/estates have been E39 and Mercedes W124 (Z3MC doesn't quite meet the criteria) and this is definitely my favourite :) 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, micmatt313 said:

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for taking the time to drive mine and for your thoughts and advice.

Including the carriage it came to around £350 to refurbish the shocks - with a 2 year warranty.

So cheaper than replacing.

New tyres fitted this morning so she's just about ready for the winter. They had to clean away quite a bit of surface corrosion on the wheels, so probably due a refurb next year

My pleasure, the first time I had driven a manual iX. 

Re the wheels, before you do anything to them, best to take the tyres off and see if the rims balance.  I recently fitted new summer tyres, I had to find 8 rims to get 4 good ones, much to my surprise 4 rims were out of balance.