Goran

Leakage AGR cooler

Hello!

Are someone  good at the AGR problems?

I have got the answer from my BMW dealer that they want to change the AGR cooler for about 1000$

When i accelrate the car seems to think what to do and are not responding directly on the gas pedal. This when I drive about 70km/h in the 3 gear and then stamp the gas,

They says that  the AGR cooler is broken so i get glycol in the engin, thats why I have to feel it up sometimes.

The car has only been running for 7500km and is a BMW 520d from 2014 with the N47 engine.

Can I by my self make some kind of operation to fix this?

13 hours ago, Goran said:

Hello!

Are someone  good at the AGR problems?

I have got the answer from my BMW dealer that they want to change the AGR cooler for about 1000$

When i accelrate the car seems to think what to do and are not responding directly on the gas pedal. This when I drive about 70km/h in the 3 gear and then stamp the gas,

They says that  the AGR cooler is broken so i get glycol in the engin, thats why I have to feel it up sometimes.

The car has only been running for 7500km and is a BMW 520d from 2014 with the N47 engine.

Can I by my self make some kind of operation to fix this?

It looks like quite an involved job and I suggest that if this is the culprit that you get it fixed asap as coolant seeping into the engine isn't a good thing. 

Here is the instruction to replace the EGR Cooler on your car: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-71-exhaust-gas-recirculation/HorNbEL

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Thank´s for the help/answer!

So the EGR/AGR valve is not the same as the AGR cooler? Is the cooler a single part that not are built together withe the valve, and you can only change the cooler?

Edited by Goran

47 minutes ago, Goran said:

Thank´s for the help/answer!

So the EGR/AGR valve is not the same as the AGR cooler? Is the cooler a single part that not are built together withe the valve, and you can only change the cooler?

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation - I don't know of any part called AGR on these cars.

On the N47 if you want to replace the cooler it looks like you can only buy the combined unit so EGR Valve and Cooler together = £519

I'd say, if the cooler is damaged it would be false economy not to change the Valve and Cooler together and I assume from RealOEM that BMW feels the same way.

You can buy just the EGR valve as a unit if that is all one wants = £172 

I was told the total cost to change  mine was around £1k by the dealer. 

Mine leaked exhaust fumes externally rather than water getting in. 

Car is a little more responsive since then. 

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

I was told the total cost to change  mine was around £1k by the dealer. 

Mine leaked exhaust fumes externally rather than water getting in. 

Car is a little more responsive since then. 

Did you pay the £1000 to the dealer or did you do it yourself?

Goodmorning!

Nice to have some comunication!

Yes I have the "N47-D20C" motor on my F11, it is manufactored october 2013.

The BMW firm says that it is not the EGR/AGR that is leaking, it is the cooler to it. For me it is the same (it sitts together) but not according to them.

The guarantee is to 8000km and meine has only done 7600km but like I said they will not take it on the warranty??

1 hour ago, Goran said:

Goodmorning!

Nice to have some comunication!

Yes I have the "N47-D20C" motor on my F11, it is manufactored october 2013.

The BMW firm says that it is not the EGR/AGR that is leaking, it is the cooler to it. For me it is the same (it sitts together) but not according to them.

The guarantee is to 8000km and meine has only done 7600km but like I said they will not take it on the warranty??

That's rubbish. They need to repair it under warranty and this is not something that can be ignored. I'd be demanding to speak to the top person at the BMW garage to get this sorted out. I assume this is a BMW dealership (you refer to a BMW firm)?

The only part number I can find for your car for EGR Cooler is this: 11717823210 and if you look at RealOEM that part number includes the EGR valve.

One other thing I've seen, RealOEM refers to "Intake manifold AGR" which is the only place I see AGR but no idea what it stands for, but the Intake Manifold doesn't have a cooler (other than the Intercooler).

Hello Matthew!

The bmw workshop says that it is only the cooler that is dammage. But like I said before it do not seems that you can buy only the cooler separate.

I spoke to BMW in Stockholm yesterday and they just reffered to the local BMW dealer.

BMW have an option on some BMW F10/F11 series (around 2012-2014) there they change for free the EGR valve. But to me they say now that it is only the AGR cooler that is dammage and that it will cost  around £1000  to fix it.

My car is not in that batch so they will not automatic change it, but now it is broken!!!

The guarantee is to 8000km or 5 years for the EGR valve.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sv/showparts?id=5L31-EUR-10_2013_F11N_BMW_520d&diagId=11_5660#11718513691

Above is a site from BMW.

Bellow is from Ebay and it seems to include a AGR valve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW-F10N-F11N-F20N-F21N-F22-EGR-Exhaust-Gas-Cooler-OEM-11718513691-/191995498068

Edited by Goran