Jump to content
ttrw2

Recommend a commuter car

Recommended Posts

For my brother.

 

Lives in London (quite central) but new job takes him to Cambridge and Oxford once a week. Travels at odd times, won't use public transport.

 

Wants a good, solid, reliable car to do 15k miles a year in. Must be comfy, petrol, reliable, and shit looking enough he can leave it parked anywhere and not get hassle. Ideally hatchback or small estate - will be his shopping/tip run car too. Will spend up to £8k.

 

I've suggested a petrol Volvo V50 - ideally 2.4L auto - for comfy seats, reliability and low hassle.

 

volvo-v50-01.jpg

 

Any other suggestions pls chaps?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BMW biased but maybe an E90 325i? Or early F10? Late E60? 

 

Petrol's have no DPF, no turbo (on that era of car) and if he goes manual then no autobox to worry about. 

 

Non-BMW I would be thinking Toyota Avensis perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Focus 1.6

 

Had a 2005 Focus 1.6 for 6 years (from new). Never again! Most poorly built car ever unfortunately, despite driving brilliantly 

 

51 minutes ago, sanjx said:

BMW biased but maybe an E90 325i? Or early F10? Late E60? 

 

Petrol's have no DPF, no turbo (on that era of car) and if he goes manual then no autobox to worry about. 

 

Non-BMW I would be thinking Toyota Avensis perhaps?

 

Yeah BMW biased here too. Looked at 1-series but too small. 3-series are poor VFM compared to a V50 and would probably get too precious about it. His other car is an F10 M5 so doubt he'll want another!

 

Toyota Avensis sounds good - horrendously dull looking/people will just think it's a Private Hire so he won't care about debts and knocks

 

Keep em coming lads!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skoda Octavia tfsi. Plenty low mileage ones at that kind of money with decent spec too. Choice of petrol engine size also.

Edited by GStarrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volvo is a good shout, they are hugely comfy, well built, drive well, go well enough, not mega money to buy or run and no-one tends to look twice at them, ideal I would have said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petrol Honda Accord or Civic, two grand buys one with years of life left. Forget German stuff, it's not reliable enough and costs a fortune to fix. Volvos like the one above are a rebodied Mark 2 Focus built in Holland.

 

Toyota Corollas are good too, typical Japanese, does what it needs to for folk who don't care about cars. Look also at 8-9 year old Kias C'eeds, decent cars with old Jap tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GStarrr said:

Skoda Octavia tfsi. Plenty low mileage ones at that kind of money with decent spec too. Choice of petrol engine size also.

 

Fantastic shout! hadn't considered these. Can't believe what you can get for your money. Only downsides seem to be all small 1.2 and 1.4 engines.

 

9 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Volvos like the one above are a rebodied Mark 2 Focus built in Holland.

 

7 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The Volvo V50 you mention is a Ford Focus underneath....

 

Making a perfect combo... Drives like a Focus, built like a Volvo?

 

9 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Look also at 8-9 year old Kias C'eeds, decent cars with old Jap tech.

 

Great shout.

 

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 7:25 PM, ttrw2 said:

 

Had a 2005 Focus 1.6 for 6 years (from new). Never again! Most poorly built car ever unfortunately, despite driving brilliantly 

 

 

Yeah BMW biased here too. Looked at 1-series but too small. 3-series are poor VFM compared to a V50 and would probably get too precious about it. His other car is an F10 M5 so doubt he'll want another!

 

Toyota Avensis sounds good - horrendously dull looking/people will just think it's a Private Hire so he won't care about debts and knocks

 

Keep em coming lads!

 

Nothing wrong with 2 F10's, ideal garage. One for work and one for play plus the interior looks the same so he won't miss the comfort of the F10. It makes sense some how lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 12:50 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

No need to spend anything like 8 grand. £2500 these buys buys a good reliable car with loads of life in it.

 

Look also at the Volvo C30, a nice wee thing that looks good and drives well. 2.0 petrols are unwanted but still good.

 

Cheers. Guess I should've said - he's looking for something low miles (sub-50k) so he can have a good 3-4 years trouble free.

 

C30 is too small - they need 4-5 doors.

 

That Accord Estate looks the ticket - suitably boring and straightforward!

 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, sanjx said:

 

Nothing wrong with 2 F10's, ideal garage. One for work and one for play plus the interior looks the same so he won't miss the comfort of the F10. It makes sense some how lol

 

True. But for pain free, reliable transport at ~£8k?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think only twice in 4 years and 50k miles has my 24 year old TDS left me in a situation that could render joe bloggs stranded, one was an aux tensioner disintegrating and making a mess of the belt (had cable ties in the car so made a belt from them, bypassed the power steering, drove the 20 miles home no problem.

 

second was the alternator died, luckily whilst at home and I could borrow another car or cycle to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I think only twice in 4 years and 50k miles has my 24 year old TDS left me in a situation that could render joe bloggs stranded, one was an aux tensioner disintegrating and making a mess of the belt (had cable ties in the car so made a belt from them, bypassed the power steering, drove the 20 miles home no problem.

 

second was the alternator died, luckily whilst at home and I could borrow another car or cycle to work.

 

Agreed. Good old plodders them tds engines, having owned a couple myself I quite like them. However it's getting difficult to a find decent example in this day and age...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK update, he looked at a Honda Accord but too big for his uses (commuting from central london to centre of oxford and cambridge).

 

That red Volvo V50 seems favourite at mo. Second place is an Octavia he's seen (thanks Greig!)

 

20+ year old Beemers are not on the shortlist!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ttrw2 said:

20+ year old Beemers are not on the shortlist!!

That's a shame... If I wanted a commuter and I had an £8k budget, I think I'd be looking at a £1k - £2k barge (7 series, A8, etc) and then pocket the £6k to cover fuel and maintenance.

 

Buying a newer car might end up a false economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it is a shame, if it was me I'd do the same. But my bro is not particularly handy when it comes to cars and he needs something guaranteed to be no fuss, that he can jump into and drive as and when with it only needing a service when the dash tells him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×