Twointje

service the car

Hello..

I purchased a F10 with 21000 km from a independend dealer , now he told me that he can acces the servers from BMW to enter there the service that he did to my car. BMW has to open there servers to other independand dealer because of the warranty but the dealer has to pay for BMW for the lincence , i dont know if this is true he gave me a copy of a page he printed out where he enterd the service he did to my car on the servers of BMW. The only thing that is not always working is to enter the service history in the IDrive from my F10 , i dont care about this because i can enter this myself with a program called BMW-HU-ServiceManager. Is there someone on this forum who can acces the BMW servers to comfirm me that the service done to my BMW is enterd on there servers?? I stil have 3000km to do before i hit 30.000km so if there is no service entry of my car on the BMW servers i can go to an official dealer and let them to the service to my car before the car has 30.000km so i will not lose my warranty.

Thank you

I would have thought the service entry does through the iDrive which in turn is the one stored on the BMW servers.

If you use BMW-HU-ServiceManager, the services you entered will be wiped out when a BMW dealer services your car, as your manually inputted services wont be on the BMW servers.

Matthew should know more about this and will hopefully reply soon :)

Edited by IINexusII

Thanks @IINexusII :D,

3 hours ago, Twointje said:

Hello..

I purchased a F10 with 21000 km from a independend dealer , now he told me that he can acces the servers from BMW to enter there the service that he did to my car. BMW has to open there servers to other independand dealer because of the warranty but the dealer has to pay for BMW for the lincence , i dont know if this is true he gave me a copy of a page he printed out where he enterd the service he did to my car on the servers of BMW. The only thing that is not always working is to enter the service history in the IDrive from my F10 , i dont care about this because i can enter this myself with a program called BMW-HU-ServiceManager. Is there someone on this forum who can acces the BMW servers to comfirm me that the service done to my BMW is enterd on there servers?? I stil have 3000km to do before i hit 30.000km so if there is no service entry of my car on the BMW servers i can go to an official dealer and let them to the service to my car before the car has 30.000km so i will not lose my warranty.

Thank you

Yes, 3rd parties can request and pay for access to BMW's Service servers to update the records there when they carry out a service to your car to BMW standards.

If you have a service at BMW the BMW server is updated by the technician who then connects to the car as the final stage and the car's entire service history is overwritten with the service log from the BMW server. As has been said above, if you use the ServiceManager tool to add a service entry, the next time you go to BMW your DIY entry will be overwritten. Your best bet will be to go to your local BMW dealer as if to book the car in for a service and ask them to confirm what service is needed and when the last service was done to the car.

I don't know of anyone who works for a dealer so has access to those servers here on the forum, sorry.  

Interesting.

If I change my front discs, pads and pad wear sensor and then I reset the  idrive myself using guides/how to's on YouTube etc, then 10,000 miles later I get BMW to do an oil service, will my car then throw its toys out the pram when it gets its idrive reset by BMW who've just done the oil service?

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Interesting.

If I change my front discs, pads and pad wear sensor and then I reset the  idrive myself using guides/how to's on YouTube etc, then 10,000 miles later I get BMW to do an oil service, will my car then throw its toys out the pram when it gets its idrive reset by BMW who've just done the oil service?

No because all you have done is reset the sensor reminding you that you need to change the brake pads. You haven't added the Brake Service event to the Vehicle Service History in the iDrive. That could only be done via the HU-ServiceManager tool that some genius out there wrote allowing DIYers with an ENET cable to update their own Service History - or BMW Service/Independent garage with the right access.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Grabble said:

When it comes to selling a car, a thick wad of genuine receipts and invoices is still a lot more convincing to a buyer than an iDrive display which can be hacked (or "coded" as some might say).

Too true. 

17 minutes ago, Johnny Grabble said:

When it comes to selling a car, a thick wad of genuine receipts and invoices is still a lot more convincing to a buyer than an iDrive display which can be hacked (or "coded" as some might say).

It all depends on the Dealer. Under the Data Protection Act they won't supply invoices other than new owner. On other instances, I have seen they've just removed the personal details part.

5 minutes ago, jake13 said:

It all depends on the Dealer. Under the Data Protection Act they won't supply invoices other than new owner. On other instances, I have seen they've just removed the personal details part.

We are saying that as the owner, building up a compendium of invoices and receipts that you provide when selling the car is much more convincing than an electronic readout from the iDrive. In the time I've had my car I've had worksheets and invoices for every piece of work, warranty and maintenance, whether under a service plan or where I've paid from my dealer for the car. Had the same when I sold my 16 year old Vectra that I'd owned since new. People love a pile of invoices (so long as they are for the car!).

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

We are saying that as the owner, building up a compendium of invoices and receipts that you provide when selling the car is much more convincing than an electronic readout from the iDrive. In the time I've had my car I've had worksheets and invoices for every piece of work, warranty and maintenance, whether under a service plan or where I've paid from my dealer for the car. Had the same when I sold my 16 year old Vectra that I'd owned since new. People love a pile of invoices (so long as they are for the car!).

I bought my car from BMW and got zero invoices, just fully stamped service booklet with bookpack. I also bought a car from an Audi dealer and it was full of invoices from previous owner.

1 minute ago, jake13 said:

I bought my car from BMW and got zero invoices, just fully stamped service booklet with bookpack. I also bought a car from an Audi dealer and it was full of invoices from previous owner.

And now you can build up your own invoice pile for the next owner of the car. I also make sure they update my service book. My wife's car - not so lucky as that was bought after BMW stopped with the paper booklet and went electronic for the service record. I could have bought a service book but couldn't be bothered. I do have a stash of invoices and warranty work documents for her's too though.  

2 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

And now you can build up your own invoice pile for the next owner of the car. I also make sure they update my service book. My wife's car - not so lucky as that was bought after BMW stopped with the paper booklet and went electronic for the service record. I could have bought a service book but couldn't be bothered. I do have a stash of invoices and warranty work documents for her's too though.  

It's getting too big (££) for my liking :D

Thanks Matthew.

Right so what we are saying is that the idrive is merely a reminder to get the car serviced, but the car doesn't know it's been serviced until you enter it into the car via the Hu service manager.  I like this over complicated system, not!

Ok another scenario, I diy oil changes and update only the idrive service reminder. Will the car then realise because there has been no data entered via the HU service manager over a period of time that it's then not had an oil change which lets face it, is critical, and shut down or go into a limp mode because it thinks it hasn't had its oil changed.

A thick wad of receipts is what I want and is what I handed over when I got rid of my last E60, to which I was thanked and told the new owner will appreciate that. The data protection spiel is nonsense as you have the previous keepers details on the V5!

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thanks Matthew.

Right so what we are saying is that the idrive is merely a reminder to get the car serviced, but the car doesn't know it's been serviced until you enter it into the car via the Hu service manager.  I like this over complicated system, not!

Yes, the iDrive "Vehicle Status" is part of the condition based servicing interface. When you reset for a Brake Pad replacement, the iDrive condition based service indicator is reset for another xThousand miles. If you wanted to maintain a log of this event in the iDrive, either have the work done at BMW who will update the iDrive Service History OR use the HU-SERVICEMANAGER hack tool that allows you to enter your own information into the iDrive "Vehicle Service History" log. 

It is quite straight forward once broken down and ultimately BMW is trying to retain your custom but like anything out there if you are capable of fixing it yourself why wouldn't you? And, as you have previously said, the amount you lose on resale of a car due to DIY servicing (with all of the receipts to hand) was negligible.

Ok another scenario, I diy oil changes and update only the idrive service reminder. Will the car then realise because there has been no data entered via the HU service manager over a period of time that it's then not had an oil change which lets face it, is critical, and shut down or go into a limp mode because it thinks it hasn't had its oil changed.

The Vehicle Service History (not HU-Service Manager as that is just a tool)  is just a log of services done by BMW or DIY with the information manually updated. When you reset the iDrive to tell it that an oil change has occurred, this resets the Condition Based Service indicator and your car will show xThousand miles or xMonths to the next oil service.

If one chooses to run a car into the ground by neglecting to change the oil on a frequent basis, no system in the car is going to stop you. The Condition Based Service indicator is merely there as a reminder and has no ability to put the car into limp home mode. That is managed by the ecosystem of modules managing the different functions of the engine and car.

Don't confuse the "Vehicle Service History" with the "Condition Based Service indicator". 

A thick wad of receipts is what I want and is what I handed over when I got rid of my last E60, to which I was thanked and told the new owner will appreciate that. The data protection spiel is nonsense as you have the previous keepers details on the V5!

^Phew

Yes, cbs is just a reminder and not a log. I have a book (remember those things?) in which there are inky stamps and signatures to tell any future owner what work has been done on my car.  It will be updated next week with its brake fluid change.

Yep at some point (probably at LCI) the books are no longer given with the car and everything's stored on the car's iDrive. I still keep receipts of all parts used for any DIY service / repair.

ones with 0000 dealer ID are the DIY services i added

IMG_20170813_091527.thumb.jpg.1de71a2099cf9959d503a4136eb57d51.jpg

IMG_20170813_092734.thumb.jpg.977e366a27683e3ec51205bc87eeb85c.jpg

IMG_20170813_092745.thumb.jpg.3eb22d15aebff463557e06b5336807cb.jpg

IMG_20170813_092740.thumb.jpg.6dcaced56493835cf24de06c60254363.jpg

Okay thank you everyone , i guess nowhone here can help me with this, the problem is the offocial dealers in Belgium are not happy when you go there to ask something like that . And i you did not buy the car at an official dealer they will not help you.

But my car is a full option and was allot cheaper at the independand dealer then the same car with allot more KM at an official dealer ..

I will try and emai BMW Benelux and ask my question at them..

Thank you and sorry for the double post.

I did manage to get a summary print out of every event held on the bmw servers for my car from the local dealer while paying for a service. 

One of the services took place in Germany after I took ownership.... Its certainly not an infallible system! 

6 hours ago, Scimmer said:

How come my F10 doesn't list service history in iDrive but others do?

Because according to your garage in your avatar, both your F10s are pre LCi.

21 hours ago, IINexusII said:

Yep at some point (probably at LCI) the books are no longer given with the car and everything's stored on the car's iDrive. 

I have a book, thank goodness as mine is pre LCi.

8 minutes ago, Scimmer said:

Ah right. I must be the only person I know with a BMW that doesn't have it. Always behind the curve.

No, any F10/F11/F01 and F01  cars pre 07/2013 production date don't have the option in the iDrive. It was at this date that the service booklet was discontinued. You can enable the iDrive function for pre 07/2013 cars and from experience services from 2012 onwards are then shown appear. You need ESYS and an ENET cable to perform the modification.

Okay problem solved , found a nice BMW dealer who checked the BMW data servers with my last 7 serial numbers and indeed there is a service entry at 21.800 km from my local dealer in the servers from BMW. They told me as long the service are done the by BMW specifications  and with original parts there is no problem for my BMW warranty or coulance if something would happen..

So i am happy with this answer n thank you local dealer.

6 minutes ago, Twointje said:

Okay problem solved , found a nice BMW dealer who checked the BMW data servers with my last 7 serial numbers and indeed there is a service entry at 21.800 km from my local dealer in the servers from BMW. They told me as long the service are done the by BMW specifications  and with original parts there is no problem for my BMW warranty or coulance if something would happen..

So i am happy with this answer n thank you local dealer.

There you go and a good outcome. There are some good dealers out there.