NeveraSkate

V8 curiosity

Yep i'm an owner of two V8s (My 540i Touring and Lexus LS460) ,Love them both for different reasons.

As for the whole Auto VS Manual thing - Now don't get me wrong i like a Manual box as much as the next person but considering most of my driving is either in a city centre or motorway i just prefer the easiness of an Auto box.

I had two E60 545i SE autos.  The first one I didn't own for very long but the second one I had for best part of 8 years. 

Since a kid I'd I always wanted a V8 and at the time I bought mine, I qualified for a company car at the firm I was working for So sourced something for the same monthly payment but with a bit more poke than a Mondeo Ghia X 130tdci, no brainier and used it to munch miles for work. 

Absolutley effortless, no such thing as no overtaking in a V8 powered BMW.

They take two full 4 litre bottles of Castrol edge every oil change. But as the miles went on, the oil stayed less in the sump and found its way out of most of the joints in the engine.

Mine went when it threw its Eclutch.

I am sad knowing that I am unlikely to ever own another V8 given the nonsense spouted by our governments, but I can say I have owned a V8.

Nothing beats a V8 bellow on full chat.

I forgot in my previous post that I've actually had two V8s! The other was a Mk2 Disco on LPG. I ran it 99% on LPG as it didn't really like running on petrol. I really liked driving it but the petrol running issue was never solved then it started pissing out a fluid, I forget which, and I traded it for my E91 in 2011.

My one and only V8 was a brief relationship with a 1993 Range Rover 3.9.  It had a manual box, which didn't suit the car at all on the road.

I still hope one day to own a fully loaded Calypso red 540i.

4 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

My one and only V8 was a brief relationship with a 1993 Range Rover 3.9.  It had a manual box, which didn't suit the car at all on the road.

To quote Richard Hammond from the Top Gear Bolivia trip, "did yours ever work"?

As others have said I think the auto box suits the V8 and in sports mode sharpens the change nicely.  The steering has a well weighted feel to it. 

If I fancy a manual box I just drag the 911 out of the garage :D

Some on here will remember the Rover Sdi.  I had 3 of those with the V8 fitted back in the day. 

My first V8 was a minty E34 540i/6 Touring, sadly missed.

My second V8 is an Alpina B10 V8 Touring, sadly broken.

My third V8 is the sole rhd Alpina B10 4.6 Touring, with nothing sad about it at all :wub:

Edited by sharkfan

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

To quote Richard Hammond from the Top Gear Bolivia trip, "did yours ever work"?

It worked fine other than the factory bass bin thing didn’t like the aftermarket stereo for some reason.  I didn’t keep it long - sold it and bought a Mondeo 24v instead. I liked that car - had the RS kit from new, nice wheels etc. Unfortunately the engine blew up on my way up the A9 one day. Con rod let go. Messy. 

2 hours ago, NeveraSkate said:

As others have said I think the auto box suits the V8 and in sports mode sharpens the change nicely.  The steering has a well weighted feel to it. 

If I fancy a manual box I just drag the 911 out of the garage :D

Some on here will remember the Rover Sdi.  I had 3 of those with the V8 fitted back in the day

I've always fancied a late model twin plenum Vitesse in red, like this;   

Rover Vitesse front.jpg

I'm not sure why as they went out of production not long after I was born, I've never even been in one, let alone driven one. I think it's because it's one of those cars I can remember seeing as a kid and thinking they looked pretty cool. 

Edited by NWJW

14 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ possibly my favourite ever top gear.

Yup mine too, I went and bought a new Blu Ray version of it for a fiver just to watch it on my new 4k OLED tv.  Much to the wifes dismay. :D

11 hours ago, NWJW said:

I've always fancied a late model twin plenum Vitesse in red, like this;   

Rover Vitesse front.jpg

I'm not sure why as they went out of production not long after I was born, I've never even been in one, let alone driven one. I think it's because it's one of those cars I can remember seeing as a kid and thinking they looked pretty cool. 

Everyone wanted one of them.  My dad always wanted one.  A friend of my dad had one a 2300, I think, to which he fitted a towbar (badly) and then twisted the boot floor when he towed a folding caravan/tent thing....

49 minutes ago, NeveraSkate said:

Seems I was right about the lack of V8 owners on here :mellow:

Too spicy for you :D

A lot of members here use the forum via Tapatalk. That’s been offline for a while, so we’re not at full strength at all at the moment. 

I love a V8. I’ve got an E39 540t, an E39 M5 and an F10 M5. All great engines although I agree with Dan that the 540 isn’t really a performance V8, great for wafting around but not really a charger. 

Interesting, I'm on my second 540i and if I'm honest I didn't find the first one all that quick, I was expecting more of the same with the second one but had a bit of a shock when I test drove it, it's hugely fast compared to my old one. It's not that quick off the mark but from 30mph upwards I don't think my old e39 M5 would be able to leave it behind. 

What's a stock E39 540i, 280ish bhp?

My E60 was plenty quick enough for me at 333bhp and 0-62 sub 6 secs. More than enough to eat hot hatches on the back roads and motorways. ;)

But I was comparing it to a 170bhp 523i.......

282bhp on paper, allegedly more if you believe everything you read on the net. There may be a shred of truth in it as the original 4.0 m60 lump was 282bhp, when they upgraded to the m62 and added another 400cc the power output was still 282bhp, then when they upgraded to the 'tu' engine and stuck vanos on it, guess what, still 282bhp.....

We had a forum meet at a local rolling road a few years back where my non-vanos 540i was recorded at 301bhp and 375lb/ft. If that's accurate I'm pretty happy with those numbers. It fits with my experience of driving E39 M5s - the 540i isn't that far off until you get to higher revs.

32V Cobra 5.0 V8 in the Capri 440bhp, 1070kg.

Will put one in the E34 one day, quite fancy a Coyote V8 or an LSx.

8 hours ago, Sarnie said:

32V Cobra 5.0 V8 in the Capri 440bhp, 1070kg.

Will put one in the E34 one day, quite fancy a Coyote V8 or an LSx.

Friends of mine have their own garage business and one of their customers is proper minted.  He has a cobra kit car that he was going to put a genuine V8 nascar engine in :huh:

When he was told the car would probably kill him he put it in his GT40 kit car instead :lol:.

Now that car is another story ;)

i love a V8 ..had a few

Rover SD1 3500 SE in Yellow and manua l ...at 20 years old it was a weapon to have !!

Then i traded it for a Moonraker blue VandenpPlas AUto which i preferred

730i E39 V8 ...slow but a decent cruiser

730i E32 V8 ...again a cruiser

740iL E32 ..a loaded cruiser ..loved it

a 530i E34 Touring in manual ..ecent car , manual was OK in it

my loved E34 Calypso 540i auto Touring ...miss that car

then 2 x 4.6 HSE Range Rovers ..loved both of them but these things have their issues but all part of their character !

I must have spent a few buck on petrol over the years as these were dailys/ school run cars !!