NeveraSkate

V8 curiosity

I have owned my E60 550i for nearly two years now and I absolutely love it. The poise and the power delivery are epic. As for the sound when the engine is wound up. Intoxicating :D.

I do wonder though how many members on this forum have gone down the V8 route ?

The 5 series is the perfect motorway muncher and as such is well suited to a large oil burner engine. I still think though that the petrol V8 is perfectly suited to the car too. Cruises effortlessly and still gives high 20's MPG at sensible motorway speeds.

I would be very surprised if there are more than 20 V8 owners on here , not including the M5 as that is a completely different animal.

So, anybody out there :D 

14 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

He couldn't handle it ;)

Shut up! 

18 minutes ago, NeveraSkate said:

I was more curious for those that still are.  What was your reason for getting rid  ?

The wife! 

Plus we had 2 V8's at the time! ;) 

More seriously i've never managed a V8 - my dad offered me his e39 touring 540 the day i'd bought an e36 M3, in hindsight the touring would have been better on my wallet but hey ho.

Its the auto bit i struggle with - i've tried to get on with them but can't.

I'm with you on the old auto's, our last 2 cars have been auto, 1 with flappy paddles and 1 not and the flappy paddle things are great! But you've got to have the type of gear box that can handle a 2 cog change and then you're flying! 

The (what I'd call) normal auto is a bit shit, especially as they seem to hang onto gears more so than you would in a manual.

**edit** sorry last 3 cars....

Edited by Yokozuna

I'd like a 130i for the wife (me really but i'd sell it as the family run around ;) )at some point and would try the auto of that as it has paddles but i still think i'd want manual.

Its going to be forced upon us though as things like the current M3 (i think) are flappy paddle only and even the new 5 doesn't have a manual option on anything interesting aiui.

If i was schlepping around the M25 and motorway network for 5-600 miles a week as i did 15 years ago i'd be all over auto but for the miles i do and how i do them i just can't get on with them.

That said an e39 is the newest i've tried maybe the 8 speed F10/11 is better?

I'm a V8 owner! In fact, it's my fourth e39 and all of them have been V8's. As the OP says, a V8 suits the car so well, extremely docile, quiet and refined when plodding about but prod it a bit and it turns into some stupid howling nascar thing! It can get interesting at the lights, especially if you're in an old, nondescript SE e39....:wink:  

Re; auto vs manual, ultimately a manual is a much more engaging drive but the V8 suits an auto so well, I've had both and truth be told I think the autos are a much better package, I find the 5 speed in the e39 pretty effective, in sport mode they can be made to drop a gear or two pretty quickly, I would imagine the later boxes are better again.

31 minutes ago, welshpug said:

E60 on were racks.

Dont find a steering box that bad at all, nothing like a landrover!

As above, the steering on a V8 e39 isn't fantastic, but it's far from bad.

Had my 545i over 7 years now and it’s sitting on 175k miles now. Still enjoying it although it’s a bit tired from a hard life in my hands. 

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd like a 130i for the wife (me really but i'd sell it as the family run around ;) )at some point and would try the auto of that as it has paddles but i still think i'd want manual.

A ///M135i is what your wife actually wants dunc! ;) the brother in law has just sold his, he stuck a straight through zorst on it with sports cats an a JB4 map also a stage 1 induction kit on it! It's top map was for about 420 and fuck me it was quick, but it sounded awesome to boot! That was a flappy paddle thing as well! 

Like you say it it will be forced upon us but I don't think that'll be a bad thing! 

11 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I'm with you on the old auto's, our last 2 cars have been auto, 1 with flappy paddles and 1 not and the flappy paddle things are great! But you've got to have the type of gear box that can handle a 2 cog change and then you're flying! 

The (what I'd call) normal auto is a bit shit, especially as they seem to hang onto gears more so than you would in a manual.

**edit** sorry last 3 cars....

What have you had that could "handle a 2 cog change"?

The cayenne handled it very well thank you! ;) 

You needed to drop a gear manually then step on the go pedal to hit the step down and if timed correctly then the car used to move like a stabbed rat! 

11 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

A ///M135i is what your wife actually wants dunc! ;) the brother in law has just sold his, he stuck a straight through zorst on it with sports cats an a JB4 map also a stage 1 induction kit on it! It's top map was for about 420 and fuck me it was quick, but it sounded awesome to boot! That was a flappy paddle thing as well! 

Like you say it it will be forced upon us but I don't think that'll be a bad thing! 

420bhp with an open diff must have been interesting with the traction off. Can you order these with an LSD? 

I think the new auto’s are very good now, I’m not sure there is much of a place for DCT’s anymore. Personally I think the move away from a manual ‘box with a clutch pedal is a great shame. The DCT in my F10 is brilliant but I still love driving a proper manual. 

If you want to 'drive' your cars then for me it will aways have to be a manual, in an automatic you are just a steering wheel attendant.

I say this having owned and enjoyed several automatics.

6 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

The cayenne handled it very well thank you! ;) 

You needed to drop a gear manually then step on the go pedal to hit the step down and if timed correctly then the car used to move like a stabbed rat! 

That just had a “standard” auto box. 

Had one  (E39 540i Touring) and loved it. I was only getting to drive it about once a month for various reasons which is why I sold it. Smooth, torquey and a nice howl if you floored it.

Personally, I love autos and I never even touch the paddles on my F11 because the clever 8 speed knows best and would need a lot paddle clicking. It was a different case on my previous E91 325i auto where I used the paddles loads. However, read all this with a pinch of salt as I have an Elise in the garage for taking on the right roads at the right time of day for some fun so get my gear change fix out of that :D

Going right off topic, for which I apologise, but years ago I had a 5 series touring and VX220 and thought it was the perfect pair. They both got sold and yet, here I am again with a very similar pair ... I should know when I have a good thing going!