Sign in to follow this  
Jonny2400

Michelin Cross Climate Plus fitted today.

Hi Guys

After a lot of reading & researching I finally dumped my Contact Sport 3 SSR and fitted MICHELIN Cross Climate Plus 245/45/18 all round, total cost was £1,175 that included yet again another 18 inch BMW 328 alloy, that’s 7 replacements in 4 years due to cracking.. this was the primary reason for changing.

My research left me with two tyre choices the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or the Michelin Cross Climate Plus unfortunately for either I had to go with the XL Y100 versions. I have never run winter tyres and for the limited amount of snow we experience over in N.Ireland summer tryes have coped just fine, but as I am moving out towards the country in March, I feel having a tyre which offered better winter traction was prob the right thing to do, so the Cross Climate won.

I have done about 50 miles in with the new tyres and today temperatures have been around 4.5c . Which is below the magic 7c which people claim that summer tyres start to fail. 

So far they are okay, now I’ve  read guys saying the change from runflats totally transforms ride of the car etc .. I’ve not noticed much of a difference in ride, they are maybe a touch quieter and that’s about it, definitely not the night and day difference that many claim to have noticed.

I have the VDC option so tried it in all the various settings, I have used CS3 SSR exclusively for the last 78,000 miles so would have expected to have noticed more of a difference... however if it puts an end to cracked alloys then it will have achieved its goal.

Now am hoping the new cross climates need time to break in as the grip seems way way down on the CS3 they replaced, ABS kicked in a quite a few times and the  dash was glowing with orange warnings each time I came off a round about or planted my foot, much more so than before, which was surprising ..my all Temp  tryes have noticeably less grip in the cold than my old worn summer tyres !!!

This change was done in advance of my remap which is due for this Tuesday, so I will let you guys know how I get on with that too, I am using BlackLine Performace and a Celtic Tune Stage 1 which is costing £345 on my 2013 520d

Edited by Jonny2400

You need about 200 miles to run in your new CrossClimates.

I have them too on 17'' rims. I had Pirelli Cinturato Run Flats and I agree that I did not notice much difference in noise and grip to start with but they are getting better as the miles go on them. I must be getting on for 1000 miles now.

I don't mean to be a 'fuddy duddy' but should you be booting it off roundabouts if the temperature is 4.5C?  You can still find yourself on black ice at those air temperatures.

Have you upgraded what you carry to contend with punctures? A motorcycle type puncture repair kit, a scissor jack, Holts Tyre Weld in a spray can (inflates and repairs punctured tyres)?

Let us know what you think of them as you put more miles on them (and with more power after your Celtic Tune Stage Celtic Tune Stage 1).

Peter

Yes, I picked up an Airman Compressor and sealant kit for £30 comes in a nice carry bag and fits nicely in the under floor storage. I had to “use” the runflat function 5 times... but the reason for loss of pressure wasn’t a damaged tyre but always due to a cracked alloy, which the runflats had caused in the first place. 

Ive put another 60 miles on them this evening, and all things considered I am finding the ride is slightly smoother overall than before, but it’s definitely nice not the “night and day” that people would lead you to believe.

Edited by Jonny2400

They're not performance tyres so dont expect them to be behave like one. 

Your vdc will definitely have helped mask the ride and noise from the runflats before - i also had 328s and cracked a couple on my first f10 (it also had vdc-its a rare combo, whats the reg?) . Very much doubt you'll see more cracks. 

It definitely was night and day in terms of noise and smoothness on a standard msport equipped car. 

Crossclimates for me improved rain and standing water handling plus noise and remove the need to switch from summer to pure winters. That said i use a pair of pilot sport non rfts on staggered rims in warmer weather which will be swapped to crossclimates this weekend on a spare pair of 8j mspirt rims i picked up from a breaker. 

Edited by SuperDave

Am over in Northern Ireland Dave, so your unlikely to spot me lol. It was a company car, so I ticked a lot of boxes when I ordered it, 328 alloys, sport steering wheel, paddle shifts, high shadow trim etc... it was due to be replaced next month. I had a mineral white G30 530e on order ... but I resigned last week and quickly purchased it from the lease company for a good price... cancelling the 530e was a sad day lol... saying that I had a lend of one a few weeks back for 48 hours and had mixed feelings about it .... boot is tiny, the new LED lights are not as good as the old xenon ones ... it felt very floaty .... but it was quick ... over 100 miles my real world MPG was 12.3mpg lol ... 

Anyway back on topic ... it poured all day today and I must have covered another 100 miles... the wet preformace of the cross climates are very good... was a little warmer 6.5 - 7.5c .. I did a few tests on some soaking and empty roads with all the electronics off and she was still very well behaved in the wet... the same test with the Sport Contacts 3 would have been work out.

I drove  a few very familiar roads in the sport setting and .... all things considered the ride quality in sport is now pretty much what comfort in the run flats felt like... feeling my original comments where maybe too harsh.. there is a noticeable improvement ... but it’s not as much as I had hoped for or been lead to believe by some.

Anyone know what comfort plus does over comfort ? I know it doesn’t soften suspension etc so what does it do ?

Edited by Jonny2400

I have had my 225/55 17 Michelin Cross Climates on for a year now. Just over 20,000 miles covered and they still look like new. In fact I have just ordered a Sealey tyre depth gauge on Amazon to check what rubber is left to give an accurate appraisal.

Not a flake of snow last year so I can't report on their most vital function, however everything else has  been thrown at them. Weather looking ominous this year though, so still plenty of tread left to tackle some seriously bad weather. Two winters out of them is very good, plus €152 each fitted (plus cost of at home €80) on allopneus.com is very reasonable. 

I just can't be bothered having to put on another set of wheels for the winter anymore, plus the cost.

245/45 18 Cross Climates on allopneus.com are €179.90 inc delivery plus fitting

Edited by Ram Rod

Well the prove will be tomorrow all the channels giving snow for my location, it’s been a busy week for my F10. Monday was Remap, Tuesday was tinting and I’ve just got here back today from detailers after a full paint correction, so she has had more than enough money spend on her.. am still testing out the remap so will update once have had her out for a good run.  Unfortunately it’s dark now and wet.. so I couldn’t get any good photos 

Edited by Jonny2400

Yep snow forecast here too so got the rear pair of 275 pilots off in favour of 245 crossclimates - ive run crossclimates all year on the front. 

Wife and i can have a proper test as shes now in a real 4x4 with summer tyres. :lol:

Johnny i think you'll find them good up to a point. There's no denying they do lose traction with a lot of torque easily enough but if you drive progressively on them they reward with so much better grip in the cold/wet. 

My pilot sports with 6mm had started losing traction on damp cold roads with even the mildest provocation so im glad to be off them. 

Edited by SuperDave

So...today I tested my new cross climates on snow, overall they are good enough, certainly I feel they preformed better to previous tryes on the same car in snowy conditions.

Accerlation and braking was okay, obviously if yourheavy handled they will spin, and slide if you accelerate/ brake hard even below 10mph .... but they felt reasonably measured and controlled.

I didn’t get to try them on a snowy hilly mountain road etc so ... this was just on the flat, but I feel they would be enough to get you home if you caught out. 

IMG_1723.PNG

IMG_1703.JPG

Edited by Jonny2400