Gti25

02 525d - Not keen on starting... :(

Hi All, 

I have recently acquired a 2002 525d. Drives fine, but does not like starting, which is a bit of an irritation!

It turns over well enough, but won't start at all without spraying some EasyStart into the intake, which isn't a starting procedure I want to keep up long term especially in the cold winter months. Turn the car off and try and try to start it again and it is back to square one and doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold, left for a week or 5 minutes. 

I have plugged in a diagnostics reader and it comes up with the following: 

• 0480 - Electric Fan
  • 09F6 - Rail Pressure monitoring on Engine start
  • 3505 - Glow-plug system
  • 1260 - Pre-supply pressure monitoring. 

I am assuming a possible injector leak or issue with one of the fuel pumps? Once started, it does drive pretty well though and does not seem down on power or misfiring at all which I would thought would be an issue...

Any thoughts appreciated...

10 minutes ago, Gti25 said:

Hi All, 

I have recently acquired a 2002 525d. Drives fine, but does not like starting, which is a bit of an irritation!

It turns over well enough, but won't start at all without spraying some EasyStart into the intake, which isn't a starting procedure I want to keep up long term especially in the cold winter months. Turn the car off and try and try to start it again and it is back to square one and doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold, left for a week or 5 minutes. 

I have plugged in a diagnostics reader and it comes up with the following: 

• 0480 - Electric Fan
  • 09F6 - Rail Pressure monitoring on Engine start
  • 3505 - Glow-plug system
  • 1260 - Pre-supply pressure monitoring. 

I am assuming a possible injector leak or issue with one of the fuel pumps? Once started, it does drive pretty well though and does not seem down on power or misfiring at all which I would thought would be an issue...

Any thoughts appreciated...

I had the same symptoms and also was only able to start the car with Easystart.

Turned out to be a leaky injector, bought a leak off kit for around £30 to work out which one was at fault.

Most likely leaky injector or broken o-ring on pressure regulator at the rear end of high pressure pump.

Just in case I would also check the supply pressure with live diagnostics as there is a code for it. The pressure should be near 4 bar and should not drop below 3 bar even on full throttle.

I would use brake cleaner instead of easy start because ether is too fast burning for diesel engine.