bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

My dealer tried their hardest to persuade me not to progress the claim to BMW by suggesting paint thickness issues and telling me it would just get rejected. 

I pushed them to submit the claim and it was approved within days. 

The service manager wasn’t very helpful throughout the process trying to tell me the whole car must have had paint work done due to paint thickness inconsistencies and also trying to tell me the claim wouldn’t be accepted due tostine chips on other areas of the car. 

MY experience of the main dealer has been poor right from buying the car, from the first service and throughout this claim. 

My opinion is they only seem interested in dealing with company car drivers who don’t pay the bills but if the dealer says work needs doing it is not questioned and is just booked in to have the work done. 

I’ve spoken to BMW UK sustainer services this afternoon. 

Initially the conversation wasn’t going very well and I was advised that all warrenty matters were dealt with directly by the dealership. 

Eventualy when I mentioned making a complaint they spoke to the service nanager at the dealer I’ve been dealing with and the story has not changed. 

Dealer has claimed i was I was told that if there was any damage to the seals prior to the repairs then the warrenty would not cover them, but if they were damaged during the repair then they would be replaced as part of the warranty work. 

just as I expected it should be. I’m not expecting anything for nothing or any improvements to the car  I think the dealer we’re just trying it on. 

11 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

My dealer tried their hardest to persuade me not to progress the claim to BMW by suggesting paint thickness issues and telling me it would just get rejected. 

The service manager wasn’t very helpful throughout the process trying to tell me the whole car must have had paint work done due to paint thickness inconsistencies and also trying to tell me the claim wouldn’t be accepted due tostine chips on other areas of the car. 

MY experience of the main dealer has been poor right from buying the car, from the first service and throughout this claim. 

My opinion is they only seem interested in dealing with company car drivers who don’t pay the bills but if the dealer says work needs doing it is not questioned and is just booked in to have the work done. 

Initially the conversation wasn’t going very well and I was advised that all warrenty matters were dealt with directly by the dealership. 

Eventualy when I mentioned making a complaint they spoke to the service nanager at the dealer I’ve been dealing with and the story has not changed. 

Dealer has claimed i was I was told that if there was any damage to the seals prior to the repairs then the warrenty would not cover them, but if they were damaged during the repair then they would be replaced as part of the warranty work. 

just as I expected it should be. I’m not expecting anything for nothing or any improvements to the car  I think the dealer we’re just trying it on. 

This is such a shame as they just add to the bad name dealers get and ultimately you'll get the car fixed and this aggravation was unnecessary all around. Care to name and shame the dealer here so others can be made aware?

11 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

Not in Cardiff are you?  Sytner by any chance? Your story sounds very similar to mine. Claimed the car had been painted at some point. I couldn't decide if it was incompetence in not knowing how to use a paint depth meter or plain dishonesty. Either way they were not going near my car. Complained to BMW UK and they were hopeless,could not care less. Only advice was to approach another dealer. Contacted nearest non Sytner dealer (dick lovett) and got the impression they didnt want to know either.  Probably didn't want someone else's sloppy seconds. 

Can't be bothered with the run around, no time for sorting crap that should be easy. Let it rot.

Edited by bmwmike

21 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Can't be bothered with the run around, no time for sorting crap that should be easy. Let it rot.

No way would I give up that easily. I would be buying a paint depth gauge and plastering it all over social media. Unless it has been painted before by a non BMW place then your kids kind of screwed on it, I would pay them to do it then and bring it back into warranty though.

1 hour ago, dandle said:

No way would I give up that easily. I would be buying a paint depth gauge and plastering it all over social media. Unless it has been painted before by a non BMW place then your kids kind of screwed on it, I would pay them to do it then and bring it back into warranty though.

Its not been painted. I got approval in the end but CBA going through the hassle. Fuck it.

ETA simply don't have the time to go begging to bmw to sort it. 

Edited by bmwmike

My saga with getting my vehicle repaired his on. 

After trying thier hardest to persuade me agains progressing the claim, it went to BMW and got approval without problem for the repairs to be carried out. 

Been today day to get in booked in and have been told that as of Monday this week they have introduced a charge of £20 a day if I want a loan car while they carry out the repairs.

This resulted in a meeting with the dealer principal who refused to budge on the loan car cost and tried to explain that due to my car being nearly 7 years old the warrenty repair was only being offered as a good Will gesture. 

I don't understand why you are persisting with these Assoles who clearly don't want to do the job in the first place. I forsee problems later. Incidentally, my car was 11 years old. I never had problems with the claim. I travelled 100 miles to Sytner Oldbury who did a fantastic job, painted the whole tailgate, replaced all the badges including new number plate lights! They gave me a Mini Clubman with no rental charge, just bring back with same level of fuel. They worked around my schedule and I had the car for extra two days, this what you call service.

Edited by jake13

My *honest* opinion is that these certain dealers are on the take with both BMW UK warranty claims and the Allianz Mondial warranty. By which I mean that they are charging customers for hire cars and anything they can claim as "betterment" (chrome strips broke sir) as well as cutting corners on certain claims "no need to replace both shocks sir" yet claiming for both sides off warranty. Fraud, basically.  

My opinion of certain bmw dealers is probably clear from my other posts, it's about as low as you can get. Experience with vauxhall for wife's car has, by comparison, been uncompromising and professional at all stages.

6 minutes ago, jake13 said:

I don't understand why you are persisting with these Assoles who clearly don't want to do the job in the first place. I forsee problems later. Incidentally, my car was 11 years old. I never had problems with the claim. I travelled 100 miles to Sytner Oldbury who did a fantastic job, painted the whole tailgate, replaced all the badges including new number plate lights! They gave me a Mini Clubman with no rental charge, just bring back with same level of fuel. They worked around my schedule and I had the car for extra two days, this what you call service.

Concur!

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

Sytner Oldbury has a great customer service team even doing a recall related job on a 20-year-old E34 ( oil pump mounting)

28 minutes ago, Carl-e34 said:

Sytner Oldbury has a great customer service team even doing a recall related job on a 20-year-old E34 ( oil pump mounting)

Their bodyshop is next door to STAX.

2 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

My saga with getting my vehicle repaired his on. 

After trying thier hardest to persuade me agains progressing the claim, it went to BMW and got approval without problem for the repairs to be carried out. 

Been today day to get in booked in and have been told that as of Monday this week they have introduced a charge of £20 a day if I want a loan car while they carry out the repairs.

This resulted in a meeting with the dealer principal who refused to budge on the loan car cost and tried to explain that due to my car being nearly 7 years old the warrenty repair was only being offered as a good Will gesture. 

How can this be a "good will gesture" when the car has a 12 year paint warranty. Madness. There must be thousands of F10/11's out there with this issue or the starting of an issue.

Today my opinion of the dealer went from low to rock bottom. 

The opening comment from the dealer principal was “I understand there is a problem with your 7 year old vehicle”

the age of the vehicle is irrelevant. If you want to advertise a 12 year warranty then stand by it.  The design/manufacturing of these vehicles are flawed. Your not doing me any favours and there’s certainly no good will. 

When end I suggested to the service manager it’s not my choice to have the vehicle in their Bodyshop his respond was ‘well don’t bother them’

I’ve learnt to understand when he’s going to come out with another lie or excuse because his lips start moving. 

Also he is still insistent that the repair bulletin which has been shared on this fourum is not applicable to this issue. It’s an out of date document for the USA market and the repair BMW approved is a local repair to the corner of each door. 

Im not going to name and Shame yet in the hope that they come to their senses but will be naming shortly if they don’t change there attitude. 

Very poor indeed.  I do think it's 95% down to the dealers (rather rhan BMW themselves) and essentially pot luck. Is a far cry from when I took a 9yr old 109k mile e46 that I had only just bought to a dealer and they inspected, photographed and documented a 22mm crack in the floor which then got approved by BMW for a new boot floor, courtesy car, and then a whole year later they contacted me for a follow up inspection to check it again and this time inject foam. That level of service is one of the main reasons I didn't even look at any other brands when I got the f10. A 9yr old car well outside of its body warranty. That dealer is now a long way away but perhaps I should give them a go sometime. 

9 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

Im not going to name and Shame yet in the hope that they come to their senses but will be naming shortly if they don’t change there attitude. 

You've already mentioned them, Soper Lincoln. It's wishful thinking on your behalf if anything changes. The work has been approved by BMW UK and you can go to any BMW approved bodyshop. In your position, I would be prepared to travel and make sacrifices in my time to avoid the inevitable.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

You've already mentioned them, Soper Lincoln. It's wishful thinking on your behalf if anything changes. The work has been approved by BMW UK and you can go to any BMW approved bodyshop. In your position, I would be prepared to travel and make sacrifices in my time to avoid the inevitable.

+ 1

Even if by some miracle  you get the job passed there ...I imagine the job would be pretty poor ( Old car and that crap attitude)

+4 but make sure you record a bad review on Google etc for them highlighting how a 7 year old BMW 5 series is rusting already and they didn't want to help regardless of the 12 year warranty.  AND request a formal complaint against them via BMW UK or BMW corporate.

I did both.

I'll be getting my corrosion done privately at some point or I'll leave it if I'm changing car. I've cancelled mondial warranty too* for similar reasons - great warranty but pointless if the faux posh little grunts at the dealer argue every point, lie, and cut corners. 

* Balls of steal, me, I've got an n53.

Got my car back yesterday after all four doors have been repainted. The job seems to be pretty good to be fair although the door seals on both the front doors were fitted incorrectly and required the body work guy and myself to reposition them so the sealed properly against the body. Its these silly things that really let them down after they've done work like this. How many people wouldn't even notice the rain seals not fitting properly and just drive away in it.

Also got to use the Mondial warranty for the first time without an argument and they replaced the drivers door mirror for being noisy and intermittent.

Had some paintwork done on my z4 coupe a couple of years ago, it was 10 years old at the time, never any issue with then doing it under warranty, however it did take the best part of a year for them to actually get the paperwork accepted. They even phoned me after doing the work asking for some details as bmw were being funny about paying them.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:12 PM, dandle said:

Got my car back yesterday after all four doors have been repainted. The job seems to be pretty good to be fair although the door seals on both the front doors were fitted incorrectly and required the body work guy and myself to reposition them so the sealed properly against the body. Its these silly things that really let them down after they've done work like this. How many people wouldn't even notice the rain seals not fitting properly and just drive away in it.

Spoke a bit too soon on the repair being ok. First got told by my daughter that her door wouldn't lock on the way to school, turns out they have fitted something wrong with the button that goes up and down and it just sit about an inch too high all the time on her door. And the second thing i noticed that I should have picked up earlier was the rear door trim has a dent in it where whoever fitted it banged it onto the door with the palm of their hand (that's what it looks like anyway). The body work guy apologised and the body shop have asked for it back to fix the faults.

Edited by dandle

Had the car back today. The door lock has been fixed and the trim replaced on the rear drivers side door. The new trim has part of the rubber trapped though so you can get a key down between the rubber and window where it doesn't seal, a corner of it has also been damaged and the paint scratched exposing bare metal. Also noticed the other rear door the weather seal doesn't fit correctly any more against the black trim on the door and the window so that trim requires replacement too now. I'm getting fed up with this now, this is the quality from a proper BMW body shop where they obviously don't have any sort of quality control. I know its paid for under warranty but it doesn't excuse a crap job. 

On a side note picked my fathers car up after an altercation on the motorway and the Ford body shop have done a stunning job on his Kuga and couldn't fault it at all.