bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

On 6/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, dandle said:

... My wife's 15 year old Seat Altea has no rust on it yet my 6 yr old BMW has it in two places now coming from under the paint. ...

I know this has probably been covered elsewhere, but as there door skins are aluminium, it's not rust (ferrous oxide), it's aluminium oxide. The causes can be many, but the most common ones are incorrect paint application at the factory, or bimetallic corrosion  - where two different metals are in contact. The paint issue isn't a big deal as aluminium oxide forms a protective later that stops further corrosion. The bimetallic corrosion is more serious as it'll keep eating away at the weaker metal, i.e. the aluminium. Grinding off any corrosion here & refinishing the paint won't stop the bimetallic corrosion.

It doesn't matter what sort of corrosion it is, it's shoddy it's happening on these cars. I have three doors with small areas bubbling up now I've looked closer. It's nothing to do with dissimilar metals as it under the paint on the outer corners. They clearly haven't painted the doors properly.

Bit shit really isn't it.

I took off the seal on one of mine earlier and a chunk / flake of paint came off with it exposing the bare alu below. The doors have been very poorly finished on the edge from the factory. Looking at the door top edge I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear all along the top edge along the shadow chrome strip. Where the rust appears to start beneath the rubber weather strip it holds moisture there.  I would carefully remove, clean, and wax or grease behind for anyone without the corrosion (yet.. these WILL all corrode).

I will also make a bet we will see front wings rotting on these in a few years. Clean inside your arches folks. Front and rear.

14 hours ago, bmwmike said:

I took off the seal on one of mine earlier and a chunk / flake of paint came off with it exposing the bare alu below.

Could you describe how you removed the trim strip?  I heard the front one was difficult due to the mirror  having to come off.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, bmwmike said:

35 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Could you describe how you removed the trim strip?  I heard the front one was difficult due to the mirror  having to come off.  Thanks.

I didn't remove the trim strip, just the little rubber at the end where the corrosion first appears.

On 6/27/2018 at 11:35 AM, Dakota said:

To remove the trim strip you remove the mirror. Then BMW have a special tool a bit hook shaped that fits in with the window down and pulls the trim up a little at a time moving it along inside the window gap. The trim bends really easily which is why its pulled up a little at a time evenly along its length. The instruction are in NewTIS.

Took my car back to the dealer today. The front door is being done again under the existing job warranty. The two rear door are going to be submitted as new claims and should be back shortly. Paint measured was 150 microns on the front door where the original repair was, the two back doors measured between 90 (at the front where the corrosion is)and 118 microns thick in the top middle of the panels.

Car booked in in a couple of weeks to assess if the car has had bodywork, if not it will be repaired. I know the body shop they are sending it to and they are very good which is reassuring. They will have the car for three days. Fingers crossed.