Jump to content
bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

Recommended Posts

Despite a few setbacks with aircon and EGR im in a similar situation, although i find handling and ride fine on 18" non funflats. Most capable car ive ever owned from a tech and performance perspective. If Spotify worked properly with Andoid it would almost all be forgiven! 

And its the longest ive ever kept a 5, which probably says something. 

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:49 PM, SuperDave said:

Despite a few setbacks with aircon and EGR im in a similar situation, although i find handling and ride fine on 18" non funflats. Most capable car ive ever owned from a tech and performance perspective. If Spotify worked properly with Andoid it would almost all be forgiven! 

And its the longest ive ever kept a 5, which probably says something. 

I can’t fault the car. Had it nearly 6 years now and has been virtually faultless. 

Its had the coolant leak with the EGR cooler just after the warrenty expired which seems to be another known BMW defect they tried to deny. 

Other than that and now the corrosion on all 4 doors it’s needed very little service or repair work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it looks like BMW got it almost right with the F10/11, shame about the corrosion issues, hope they're in the minority and everyone gets the results they were after. As a reminder, on page one of this thread there's a copy of the technical data sheet (can't remember exact term) used to instruct dealers on this particular fault, meaning they've seen this so many times they've published guidance on the repair. I emailed a copy to the service manager at Soper BMW Lincoln and it was after this that they agreed the repair. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a complete nightmare getting mine sorted, currently on all 4 doors but rybrook won't touch it because sytner did body work on the front end which involved blowing into the doors...sytner won't touch it because rybrook did work on the rear quarter which involved blowing into the doors!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bulliten says removed doors, what the devil? Getting mine looked at next week, I hate the idea of the whole door being painted, it always means imperfections. Hopefully a small local repair will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Having a complete nightmare getting mine sorted, currently on all 4 doors but rybrook won't touch it because sytner did body work on the front end which involved blowing into the doors...sytner won't touch it because rybrook did work on the rear quarter which involved blowing into the doors!

 

 

Take it to Sytner, assuming the body repairs are BMW approved it should be no problem.

 

Failing that speak to BMW UK and explain and ask them to intervene and speak to Rybrook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I personally wouldn't have it done, my car was silver and it would have been a ball ache imo and my eye would have been drawn to it every time.

 

Was ? Did you have it resprayed or no longer have it?

 

 

I didn't have it done despite an "approval" (patronising feckers - they are obliged).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is madness really. I cannot believe people are having so many issues getting these resolved. BMW really must be looking for any reason to reject, even though they have issued a major document on the procedure to repair. Very sad.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive given in trying to sort mine, 2 of my doors are affected but I have been told the car has had paintwork - there is no way the chap using the paint depth tool was using it correctly as he was trying to do it one handed and really rushed it, he said in person the car definitely hadn't had any paintwork in its life but then the claim was rejected? I am very fussy about bodywork and see it has not been painted. I am at the stage where I cannot be bothered to pursue it, with the war on diesel only getting worse the car must be worth next to nothing and I can only imagine them making a bad job of it too.

 

Shame on you BMW, other than the rear air suspension and the clearly problematic corroding doors the car feels well made and properly engineered, it is a shame BMW won't acknowledge they messed up and will rectify all affected cars. my car has full BMW history and 70k miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, paperjams said:

Ive given in trying to sort mine, 2 of my doors are affected but I have been told the car has had paintwork - there is no way the chap using the paint depth tool was using it correctly as he was trying to do it one handed and really rushed it, he said in person the car definitely hadn't had any paintwork in its life but then the claim was rejected? I am very fussy about bodywork and see it has not been painted. I am at the stage where I cannot be bothered to pursue it, with the war on diesel only getting worse the car must be worth next to nothing and I can only imagine them making a bad job of it too.

 

Shame on you BMW, other than the rear air suspension and the clearly problematic corroding doors the car feels well made and properly engineered, it is a shame BMW won't acknowledge they messed up and will rectify all affected cars. my car has full BMW history and 70k miles.

That's ridiculous that they won't sort for you. Totally must depend on which dealer you go to. Mine has 149k and full bmw history and was passed for the work in 3 days on all doors. Try another dealer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to try and put together a list of dealers who seem to accept this is a known problem, and ones who try to push it back as not a warrenty claim?

also of the people who have had the repairs done have any of you been told that you would be expected to pay for replacement door/window trims as it’s not possible to get them off without braking them and BMW warrenty wouldn’t cover them. 

Id also be interested to hear if anyone has had problems with the claim due to other damage on the doors or car well away from the corrosion. I’ve got a couple of stone chips and light scratches on the lower doors and I was told if the warrenty claim was accepted I’d be expected to pay for these to be repaired as they would need to be done at the same time, and again BMW warrenty would not cover any extra repairs. 

It seems they want cars to be presented in a pristine condition with no evidence if wear and tear but also never had any paintwork done in the past. 

Whi buys a 5 series to store in a garage for 12 years and not use it??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my front drivers door that was repaired in Jan has corrosion again in the same place bubbling up and the door behind also has a small bubble now. Going to have to book the car back in to get them done again now. Not very good work by BMW from new or the body shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dandle said:

Well my front drivers door that was repaired in Jan has corrosion again in the same place bubbling up and the door behind also has a small bubble now. Going to have to book the car back in to get them done again now. Not very good work by BMW from new or the body shop.

That’s too bad, sorry to hear that. At least the dealer can’t weazle out of it with the usual excuses. Have to say I don’t have high hopes for my repair based on the sorry state the car was returned in. Good luck

Edited by Martin H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dandle said:

Well my front drivers door that was repaired in Jan has corrosion again in the same place bubbling up and the door behind also has a small bubble now. Going to have to book the car back in to get them done again now. Not very good work by BMW from new or the body shop.

 

That falls short even of my own low opinion of BMW in 2018. 

 

But somehow not surprised. 

 

 

Edited by bmwmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bmwmike said:

 

That falls short even of my own low opinion of BMW in 2018. 

 

But somehow not surprised. 

 

 

 

I must admit I am looking to change my car soon and its making me think if BMW is worth it any more. My wife's 15 year old Seat Altea has no rust on it yet my 6 yr old BMW has it in two places now coming from under the paint. The quality has certainly dropped from the E61 I had and I'm not sure its worth paying such a large premium over the normal brands now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sympathise but what we’re not getting from these forums is an idea of how widespread the problem is. ie what proportion of F10/11 are showing the problem vs those cars with no issue at all. Is it any worse or better than any other brand? Just reading these posts possibly gives a biased view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Martin H said:

I sympathise but what we’re not getting from these forums is an idea of how widespread the problem is. ie what proportion of F10/11 are showing the problem vs those cars with no issue at all. Is it any worse or better than any other brand? Just reading these posts possibly gives a biased view

 

Why do you think there is Technical service Bulletin (TSB) if it's not widespread? Standard procedure is to keep the owners ignorant and discourage others making any claim through the 12 year anti corrosion warranty.  Without TSB, I wouldn't made a claim on the E61 tailgate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their manufacturing process is repeatable and consistent enough that a lack of paint affecting one part of a door is likely to affect most doors if not all. 

 

It's clearly not an isolated case because of the TSB as said above.

 

As I've said before it makes me wonder whatever else has been missed. Will we be looking at e39 style sill and jacking point replacement at 15 yrs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dandle said:

 

I must admit I am looking to change my car soon and its making me think if BMW is worth it any more. My wife's 15 year old Seat Altea has no rust on it yet my 6 yr old BMW has it in two places now coming from under the paint. The quality has certainly dropped from the E61 I had and I'm not sure its worth paying such a large premium over the normal brands now.

 

Same here. If I was buying on a 3 yr PCP I'd probably buy one as it's not "my" car. Or a company vehicle for same reason. I tend to buy outright and for longer term, generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think theres been one person who replied that didnt have signs of this at 4+ years.

The vast majority of people joining the forum didnt do so because they were looking for door paint corrosion answers based as far as i can recall from contributers on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a 62plate 530d F07 47000 miles and checked all doors and can find no problems, have had car for over 2.5 years now and apart from one puncture in RFT that had to be replaced have had no problems and cost no money as it had 5 year service contract and 12 months AUC warranty on it from dealer when bought end of November 2015,has been best car ever owned.tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong I love the car. But the rust issue isn't isolated, the X5s are suffering too. Hopefully the f07 isn't affected. 

 

I just find it a hard pill to swallow that a £58k car is rusting at 6yrs old (45k miles on mine). A lot of owners won't even be aware until it pops through the paint due to the location of the rust spots unless they read forums like this and find it early. The same as the water leaks through the gromits, how many of us have saved our cars getting soaked by preemptively cleaning the panels out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading lot's of owners reporting rust on the doors, I have thorougly checked my own vehicle, and not just checking the doors but all over the bodywork, and did not find any evidence of any rust anywhere, my previous car a Honda Accord Tourer 8th generation, had rust around the sun roof frame this was at two years old, and Honda UK tried to keep it quiet, only settling those that made the most noise & threats, I came into that catergory I'm pleased to say they replaced the complete sun roof FOC, but a lot of owners did not fair the same treatment and Honda was clearly trying to get out of paying up and doing the right thing, and as far as I know some Honda owners are still suffering now.

How I dealt with this myself I contacted the main dealer by going there in person with the car, was originally told this was the first vehicle to have been reported with rust, but I was already pre- armed with loads of printed pages taken from the Honda Forum site, which clearly showed I was one of many owners with the same problem, the dealership said he would take some photo's which incidently was a crappy phone camera which did not produce clear pictures showing the extent of the rust, and would forward my complaint on to Honda UK to see if they were prepared to do anything, as soon as he said that I seriously threatened court action against the dealership and Honda UK, if this matter was not put right and completely FOC, I was then told they should here back from Honda UK after 14 days or so, and the dealer would contact me, but as soon as I got home I grabbed my canon 35mm camera took some good close up photo's of the rusting sun roof from all different angles, then downloaded then to a photo upload site, then sent them directly to Honda UK myself with a not so nice letter to boot, and within less than 5 days I had a call from the dealer say Honda UK had agreed to replace the sunroof FOC, but I never ever got a apology letter back from Honda UK, they were obviously trying hard to keep the lid on the rust problem.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×