bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

1 hour ago, dandle said:

The main thing is to not loose your rag with them and keep at it. The anti perforation warranty has nothing to do with full service history as it was painted from new. How far out were your readings, as I said earlier anything under 120 microns is factory paint from what I was told.

Take some pictures of the bubbles and elevate it via email to BMW UK. Keep cool and stick to facts without ranting. Give it a few days if that doesn't get it sorted start posting replies on the social media pages stating your car is rusty at 5 years old and the 12 year corrosion warranty appears to be useless. Facebook and Twitter will get their attention as they don't need the bad press.

It's a shame the brand has come to these tactics to get things done but I have had to do the same other other faults that's shouldn't be a quibble.

I can’t remember the numbers but think it was typically 130-180 around a number of places they showed me. Unfortunately they didn’t give me any paperwork for the investigation and were unable to show me the video of the checks but are supposed to be e-mailing me the link so will hopefully receive it tomorrow. 

Knowing that the cat feels dirty to the touch then in order to get accurate paint thickness readings then I would have expected localised polishing in the test areas to remove an dirt and contamination to ensure accurate readings especially when your only talking about 10’s of microns as any dirt will result in inconsisten readings. This is certainly the practice which is used in the industrial NDT testing I have done in the past when checking coating thickness on rotating equipment aerofoils. 

Sp far I have managed to keep my cool and just agreed to disagree with the list of excuses provided by Soper Lincoln and will take it up with BMW UK. I certainly would expect the car to be rusting at such a young age especially still running its original break pads and wiper blades

Edited by KN54ALE

4 hours ago, bmwmike said:

The warranty rates are punitive to the bodyshop but I'm sure their professionalism wouldn't allow them to rush the job.

Its this that worries me most.. A job done cheap is a job that might need doing twice! 

3 hours ago, dandle said:

The main thing is to not loose your rag with them and keep at it. The anti perforation warranty has nothing to do with full service history as it was painted from new. How far out were your readings, as I said earlier anything under 120 microns is factory paint from what I was told.

Take some pictures of the bubbles and elevate it via email to BMW UK. Keep cool and stick to facts without ranting. Give it a few days if that doesn't get it sorted start posting replies on the social media pages stating your car is rusty at 5 years old and the 12 year corrosion warranty appears to be useless. Facebook and Twitter will get their attention as they don't need the bad press.

It's a shame the brand has come to these tactics to get things done but I have had to do the same other other faults that's shouldn't be a quibble.

They don't give f*ck and will stick by Sopel.

3 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

HI

just had my 2011 530d touring in to Soper Lincoln for a warrenty investigation for the door corrosion which seemed to be a common fault on this model. All 4 doors have evidence of corrosion in the same place. 

When I first visited Soper a member of the body shop viewed the car, admitted it not an uncommon problem and he had seen a number with corrosion in this area so it was booked in for the investigation. 

Collected the car today and Soper are  now proposing to reject the claim on the basis the paint thickness readings are inconsistent around the complete car suggesting paint work has been done  this was along with a list of other excuses to avoid the warranty claim. 

I agree the car is dirty and feels rough to the touch due to needing a good clean and polish but the vehicle has never had any paintwork done and was supplied by Soper Lincoln as an Ex Demo 7 month old vehicle in 2012. 

Im my opinion it’s the dirt and unpolished paint which has caused the inconsisten readings. 

Other excuses given are listed below

- Car has full service history but not by main dealer so anti corrosion warranty is not valid

- stone chip in middle of door would result in and warranty claim being partial chargeable as they would need to virtually repaint the full car to match the paint and warrenty does not cover any damage repairs. 

- All black plastic window seal/trims would need to be replaced at my expenss as they cannot be removed without damage and would not be covered by warrenty. 

- There is dirt under the window seals which is the likely cause of the problem. 

As im sure you will agree they seem to be doing everything they can to avoid the claim and to me it’s more than a coincidence that all doors are suffering the same problem clearly indicating a manufacturing defect. 

Any advice or support to help me push this claim would be much appreciated as I’m. Very disappointed to find this fault on a 7 year old car with less than 60,000 miles 

cheers

DON'T contact BMW UK. Wash the car and go to another Dealer (not Sopel - I don't care if you have to travel 100 miles) and claim under the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty. Don't mention that you have already made a claim and DON'T leave the car with them (this was your biggest mistake), it only takes 30 mins max to gather all the info to file the claim through. Make a recording with your phone when paint depth measurements are being taken and challenge the way the readings are undertaken. Hopefully, you will get the results you want.

9 hours ago, KN54ALE said:

I can’t remember the numbers but think it was typically 130-180 around a number of places they showed me. Unfortunately they didn’t give me any paperwork for the investigation and were unable to show me the video of the checks but are supposed to be e-mailing me the link so will hopefully receive it tomorrow. 

130 is factory tolerance isn't it? Or put another way that is so thin I doubt a human could get it under 200.

Go back down and tell them to show you it again. That's what I did and mysteriously the thickness was suddenly in spec when I was stood over the guy watching him. Depending on how he held the meter it varied by 100 odd anyway. The bodyshop manager clearly didn't know how it use the PTG. No apology, no "hmm thats odd!" just the grunt like inevitibility of someone sick of their job plodding along waiting for retirement. Couldn't give a shit. No way was I going through the hassle of getting them to paint it.

Honestly it's this kind of bullshit from the dealers which made me glad I left it.

Reminds me I must do a Google review for sytner bodyshop.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with a Mondeo that I had bought. No service history but it did have a sticker from a dealer in Preston. I phoned them and they quoted data protection act re service history so I asked if they could sell me a service book (£5) and would they mind stamping it for any services they had done. When it arrived they had forgotten to stamp up the corrosion inspection page so I sent it back. On return fully stamped I went to my local dealer who promptly fitted four brand new doors and fully painted both sides (which were scratched). 

I've had my AUC F10 a week now but also have a rust bubble on the leading edge of the drivers door, in for an oil change next week so will point it out and see if it will be fixed under warranty.

BMW rust.jpg

I’ve just got the video link from Soper showing the paint thickness readings. Around the car they varies from 116-173um

can anyone let me know the expected thickness and the acceptable tolerance. 

I expect with a good clean and polish to return the paint to a nice smooth feel then the results will be much more consistent. 

Especially considering we’re only taking about the variation equivalent to the thickness of a human hair. 

26 minutes ago, KN54ALE said:

I’ve just got the video link from Soper showing the paint thickness readings. Around the car they varies from 116-173um

can anyone let me know the expected thickness and the acceptable tolerance. 

I expect with a good clean and polish to return the paint to a nice smooth feel then the results will be much more consistent. 

Especially considering we’re only taking about the variation equivalent to the thickness of a human hair. 

Those are spot on for factory AFAIK. 

As I said.. they are fibbers

Edited by bmwmike

When they did my front door it measured between 106-118 microns and the body shop guy said they were looking for it to be under 120 to be factory paint.

You need to clean the car and get it remeasured.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:39 PM, Dakota said:

I've had my AUC F10 a week now but also have a rust bubble on the leading edge of the drivers door, in for an oil change next week so will point it out and see if it will be fixed under warranty.

BMW rust.jpg

Just noticed I have the exact same thing on mine :(

29_C8_CD14-_F968-432_F-_B531-2_E1724_D30

Finally got my F11 back from Soper Lincoln for repair of corrosion to all four door leading edges. To cut a long (sad) story short, on inspecting the car following repair by their approved bodyshop, discovered the following: several scratches to offside bumper, dent on rear wing, lacquer peeling from nearside rear wing, mis-aligned window trim to all four doors, poor finish to one of the wheels I'd asked to be refurbished. After three attempts to correct, finally had the car returned in acceptable condition four weeks after dropping off. I've since discovered that on both front doors the electrical connections to puddle lights and cubby lights appear to be cross-wired, as much as I'd like to return car to Soper I just can't be bothered - I can sort it myself in an hour. Some credit to Soper  - they provided me a very nice, new X1 for the full four weeks, and were apologetic throughout. Although the free tank of fuel they'd promised didn't materialise. The paintwork to the corrosion looks ok and Soper have said the original warranty period still stands, as you'd expect. All in all not a great experience. 

And FYI to anyone interested in f10 longevity I suggest we might be renaming this thread by dropping "door" from the title. The front arches have a pretty sharp lip on the inside which not only traps dirt but probably didn't get a decent paint coating either as it's a sharp edge. Time will tell.

18 minutes ago, Martin H said:

Finally got my F11 back from Soper Lincoln for repair of corrosion to all four door leading edges. To cut a long (sad) story short, on inspecting the car following repair by their approved bodyshop, discovered the following: several scratches to offside bumper, dent on rear wing, lacquer peeling from nearside rear wing, mis-aligned window trim to all four doors, poor finish to one of the wheels I'd asked to be refurbished. After three attempts to correct, finally had the car returned in acceptable condition four weeks after dropping off. I've since discovered that on both front doors the electrical connections to puddle lights and cubby lights appear to be cross-wired, as much as I'd like to return car to Soper I just can't be bothered - I can sort it myself in an hour. Some credit to Soper  - they provided me a very nice, new X1 for the full four weeks, and were apologetic throughout. Although the free tank of fuel they'd promised didn't materialise. The paintwork to the corrosion looks ok and Soper have said the original warranty period still stands, as you'd expect. All in all not a great experience. 

Reading your bad experience with Soper Lincoln it makes me nervous to carry on pushing for mine to be repaired under warrenty. 

May consider sytner Nottingham. 

I'd probably risk it but go over car carefully afterward and snag like crazy if any issues. And make sure they inspect the car properly before you leave it with them, and take a walk round video just in case. They didn't hesitate to put things right, just took some persistence on my part.

7 minutes ago, Martin H said:

I'd probably risk it but go over car carefully afterward and snag like crazy if any issues. And make sure they inspect the car properly before you leave it with them, and take a walk round video just in case. They didn't hesitate to put things right, just took some persistence on my part.

Maybe the fact they still had your car in for exactly the same fault as mine when I went in the other day was the reason they were being so difficult and trying to avoid me pushing for a claim. 

How did they handle the window trims. They tried to make me agree that if any warrenty work was done on mine then the window trims would get broken when removing them, and I would be expected to pay for replacements. 

Min my opinion if they need to be removed for warrenty work and they can’t refit them, this this is BMWs problem and not mine!

Reading this threat weaned me off buying a new g30 to replace my beloved E60 bought new 11 years and super reliable no rust. I have to move on as my employer a bit annoyed I am cashing in on car allowance and running an old banger on a shoe string. But that's it. I am off to lexus. A colleague of mine had countless issues with f10 over 4 years. Air con, water, air suspension... So I am convinced BMW are now built to be disposed off within 3 years for PCP schemes.

What is worse?

Poor quality in the fist place?

Bmw dealers trying to wiggle out of every case while they know it is a known default?

Bmw asking to pay for Windows trim if broken? They will only break because they need to be removed to be repaired?

The shoddy approved body shop they use? This is shoking

The BMW police brigade.. no need to reply. I am off to another forum now.

Got to remember these were launched just after the financial crash too so I wonder it that played a part.  I guess they were designed before 2008 but the crash itself may have had an impact.

That said, and in fairness, I had understood the f10 paint to be thinner than e60 but that is not the case. From what I can gather from detailing forums the paint thickness of both is similar for factory spec.

7 hours ago, reggie59 said:

The BMW police brigade.. no need to reply. I am off to another forum now.

I dont think anyone has or could criticise your decision Reggie, good luck and let us know how it goes! 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:19 PM, KN54ALE said:

Maybe the fact they still had your car in for exactly the same fault as mine when I went in the other day was the reason they were being so difficult and trying to avoid me pushing for a claim. 

How did they handle the window trims. They tried to make me agree that if any warrenty work was done on mine then the window trims would get broken when removing them, and I would be expected to pay for replacements. 

Min my opinion if they need to be removed for warrenty work and they can’t refit them, this this is BMWs problem and not mine!

Soper advised I’d have to pay for rubber door seals if they were damaged on removal, in the event they weren’t. The first time door trims were mentioned was when I complained they were misaligned on return of car. Kicked off a bit due to everything that was wrong so maybe that’s why they agreed to replace at their cost. Guess now they include the trim in the at risk section - sorry!  

Have to say folks despite the corrosion issues, I’ve had four years of fault free (almost) happy motoring from my F11. Does everything asked of it and more, and still looks the business IMO. MSport in space grey - love it. Pretty much only complaint is the rubbish ride quality/ handling.