bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

I had this reply from BMW UK

Good morning Mike

Thanks for sending me your VIN.

I've spoken with Mark from the bodyshop at Sytner, and he's advised me that he's heard from the Warranty Manager about your issue.

Mark has been advised that this is still being looked into, and as it's a corrosion warranty issue, the decision can take up to a few weeks.

Mark has assured me that as soon as he's got any updates on your case, he'll be in touch to pass them onto you.

I can appreciate your frustration at how long this is taking to resolve, but I'm confident that Sytner are doing everything they can to address this.

If there's anything else I can do for you in the meantime, please get back in touch.

Kind regards

Rob
The BMW UK Social Media Team

Can't imagine what they are "looking into"!

With the existence of that document describing a repair process and the clear repeat corrosion thats showing up on all four doors on many cars I think the grounds for a legal letter if you dont get a positive response are strong, and probably an easy win in a county court case. Who is legally responsible for underwriting the anti-corrosion warranty? BMW UK? 

This is madness really. They know it's a common issue in that area, and, it's easy to check it, they have an internal doc on how to deal with it, so, where is the delay in approvals?

Tbh I can't see them not covering it. Seems pretty straightforward.

Not sure why the delay though.  Might be that they need to do X number a month and they are inundated.

Car manufacturers will always try and manoeuvre out of paying a corrosion claim simply because they can, whether it’s due to lack of servicing (body inspection), previous accident, misuse, or not the right sort of corrosion. It is staggering to think surface corrosion on a modern car won’t be covered after expiry of paint work warranty, normally first three years’ on BMW.  The 12 year corrosion warranty should really be called anti perforation warranty because that’s all it covers. But I guess that doesn’t sell cars

On 23/03/2018 at 8:59 PM, bmwmike said:

Yep. But I don't think anyone has actually been declined yet..

Looks like you were right. Credit to Soper of Lincoln who have agreed to fully cover the repair to all four doors and supply a courtesy car for the week. After initially, and robustly, investigating whether they could legitimately decline, they eventually came good. I’m convinced that showing them the Technical Guidance note posted on this forum helped so a big thank you to Mathew Ashton for that (Nov 17). I’ll post pictures if anyone’s interested but to be honest they’re the same as ones on page one (including space grey paint!). Good luck to all those with same problem. 

Well done. Keep us posted!

I've been told it's still being investigated and they are looking into "discrepancies" but won't tell me what those are. Lol. 

Giving it another week before I pull the TSB out..

4 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Well done. Keep us posted!

I've been told it's still being investigated and they are looking into "discrepancies" but won't tell me what those are. Lol. 

Giving it another week before I pull the TSB out..

You should have presented the TSB from the time of your initial claim. I went to your and GoNz0's favourite franchise and they wouldn't entertain me until I presented the TSB for the tailgate corrosion. They will try everything not to honour their side.

10 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Probably. Shouldn't really need to though. Let's see how good BMW are are sticking by their products. 

Many years ago, there was website with all the STBs. BMW told them to shut it down.

10 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

No wonder 5 series cars are losing so much money. You would not expect to see this corrosion on a Mondeo let alone a BMW

Agree to some degree but I'm not sure BMW bodywork has ever been their strong suit has it? E36, e46, and even e39 body and subframe cracks are fairly common and they all rust and leak via grommets and flakey door seals, or poorly designed sunroof drainage ala e60.

I bought a new Mondeo Titanium X Estate in 2009. A friend of mine now owns it. No rust anywhere, bodywork impeccable. Genk built car.

Now Ford have a brand new factory in Valencia building Mondeo's, S Max's and Galaxy's amongst other models. State of the art facility. Are you telling me a BMW is better made and sprayed?

4 minutes ago, Ram Rod said:

I bought a new Mondeo Titanium X Estate in 2009. A friend of mine now owns it. No rust anywhere, bodywork impeccable. Genk built car.

Now Ford have a brand new factory in Valencia building Mondeo's, S Max's and Galaxy's amongst other models. State of the art facility. Are you telling me a BMW is better made and sprayed?

Don't know. Am I? Is anyone? How would we measure "better" - orange peel, resistance to corrosion, ability to withstand stonechips? 

12 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

No wonder 5 series cars are losing so much money. You would not expect to see this corrosion on a Mondeo let alone a BMW

It would be a mistake to jump to conclusions based on the ten or so BMWs talked about on this forum. And of the hundreds of thousands built, how many used Mondeos have you checked for rust?

15 hours ago, Martin H said:

It would be a mistake to jump to conclusions based on the ten or so BMWs talked about on this forum. 

As far as i can tell its every owner reading this who has taken the time to check so far, that would be quite the coincidence really. I think you can safely presume its very widespread, especially given the BMW doc on it. 

Anyone reading this who has checked and not got any corrosion at 4 years+? 

Edited by SuperDave

Worth thinking about how people arrive at this forum. If you didn't have a corrosion issue with your car is it likely you'd end up at an 'F10 door corrosion' discussion group? I arrived here after Googling the issue. The fact BMW has produced a technical bulletin is more compelling. How many cars I wonder have to be reported before one of these is written? 100, 500? Versus number of F10, F11s built? Versus similar issues with other manufacturers. The variables are huge and I doubt we'll ever get the data to do a real analysis.

It's a pointless speculation.  We know enough to know it's not a one off but we'll obviously never know how widespread it is. In the overall scheme of things it is a minor cosmetic issue (though I'm surprised how quickly my patch is growing).  What we should be more concerned at is the little patches we can't yet see..

Interesting (to me) that everytime something like this pops up (timing chains, structural cracks, HGF, HPFP, Injector issues, and so on) regardless of forum or car it always gets two sides - one group who say it's not widespread and it's just Internet bias, and the other side convinced it's going to affect every unit. No criticism of anyone but I don't see that the frequency matters all that much.  Machines go wrong. What really truly matters is how the manufacturer responds and deals with it. 

Historically in my direct experience BMW has been very good.

Edited by bmwmike

6 hours ago, Martin H said:

If you didn't have a corrosion issue with your car is it likely you'd end up at an 'F10 door corrosion' discussion group?

For me i read about it, had no prior idea it was present and on checking all 4 doors seem to have the issue. Mine is space grey too. :ph34r:

Statistically it would just be pretty significant if anyone reading this thread who doesnt have an issue with their doors on a car more than 3-4 years old could comment.

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

For me i read about it, had no prior idea it was present and on checking all 4 doors seem to have the issue. Mine is space grey too. :ph34r:

Statistically it would just be pretty significant if anyone reading this thread who doesnt have an issue with their doors on a car more than 3-4 years old could comment.

Mine is space grey and over 3 years old now and no sign yet...