bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

Blimey - looks like I've started something! Poor show by BMW AG really - cars of this age shouldn't be experiencing this.

Some better pics of the repair.

236EF6A2-9F01-4568-8CFB-0BD03629916A.jpeg

30678EA1-89FB-4590-82AF-7607BBE5538B.jpeg

Edited by McBeemer

I'm new to this forum, but noticed corrosion on the doors of my 2010 F10 535i in exactly the same place as the pictures shown here (both rear doors).  Have just today dropped by BMW who are filling in the warranty claim form.....

On 04/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, quayside123 said:

I'm new to this forum, but noticed corrosion on the doors of my 2010 F10 535i in exactly the same place as the pictures shown here (both rear doors).  Have just today dropped by BMW who are filling in the warranty claim form.....

How did you get on?

Took mine to the local BMW approved body shop earlier. Have never seen this before apparently,  and didn't know what the f10 factory paint depth spec was supposed to be. Pull the other one. Went along with it anyway, they'll let me know in a week or so if it's covered. Given my past experiences with this particular chain (sit on her) I'm not sure I'll get it done even if BMW approve. Got visions of a crap job with over spray everywhere, and an empty can of Halfords "pro" paint left in the rear footwell.

Mine went in for corrosion on the front door (at the top front under the trim) early last month. They seem to have done a nice job on the repair under warranty. Its a bit poor that these cars are seeing corrosion already though.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:09 AM, bmwmike said:

How did you get on?

Took mine to the local BMW approved body shop earlier. Have never seen this before apparently,  and didn't know what the f10 factory paint depth spec was supposed to be. Pull the other one. Went along with it anyway, they'll let me know in a week or so if it's covered. Given my past experiences with this particular chain (sit on her) I'm not sure I'll get it done even if BMW approve. Got visions of a crap job with over spray everywhere, and an empty can of Halfords "pro" paint left in the rear footwell.

BMW responded within 4 hours of my initial visit, saying warranty claim has been approved. Car was then booked in.  Work was done the first week of the new year, and very happy with the finish.

I think so. Although the corrosion is coming from under the paint which would point to the metal being contaminated before the paint was applied. 

On a side note when he measured my paint it was reading between 106-118 microns around that area and the bodyship guy said anything less than 120 would be original paint as a sprayer wouldn't be able to put it on that thin.

On 12/02/2018 at 10:09 AM, bmwmike said:

How did you get on?

If ‘Sit on her’ give you the run around and knock you back, PM me and i will give you the details of the Bodyshop claims guys at my local Sit on her and you can use my successful claim as precedent within the same group to back yours up. 

37 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

If ‘Sit on her’ give you the run around and knock you back, PM me and i will give you the details of the Bodyshop claims guys at my local Sit on her and you can use my successful claim as precedent within the same group to back yours up. 

Thank you sir! Hopefully doesn't come to that but good to have the backup. 

Have the almost exact same issue with my 2012 F11 in the same place on all four doors but dealer insinuating the corrosion not covered as is not from the inside to the outside of the door. Did anyone else have this problem?

10 minutes ago, Martin H said:

Have the almost exact same issue with my 2012 F11 in the same place on all four doors but dealer insinuating the corrosion not covered as is not from the inside to the outside of the door. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm still waiting to hear back so suspect I may have the same issue as you. It's been 5 weeks so far. I've chased and chased and each time get told it's with BMW to decide. Will chase them again otherwise I'll get the big guns out :)

Edited by bmwmike

They are getting so petty on everything it's beyond a joke these days. Makes you wonder what your paying the premium for in the first place. These shouldn't be rusting already.

A data sheet was posted from the BMW ISTA system describing a repair procedure for corrosion to front edges of doors. I’ve emailed it to the service manager looking after my car but not convinced it will seal the deal. They seem to be masters at providing plausible reasons why the corrosion isn’t covered