bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

The door vapour barriers are a common failure on these cars anyway, mine were fine before the repair though and now three let moisture through so something happened. As I said they even flooded the car which is how most people find they have failed, by which time they have really let go. If you google it there's loads of results.

I never had moisture on the sills before this and it's the first sign the vapour barrier is compromised. 

6 minutes ago, dandle said:

I never had moisture on the sills before this and it's the first sign the vapour barrier is compromised. 

:shock: guess I better keep an eye on mine then. Especially as it's been kicked out of the garage to the driveway.

8 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

:shock: guess I better keep an eye on mine then. Especially as it's been kicked out of the garage to the driveway.

I would look at getting it fixed before it gets too bad. Peter has done a couple of his doors on his F11. https://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php?threads/bmw-vapour-barrier-weakness-revisited.1765/#post-28239

After having mine now for a week or 2 back from the garage, I have to say, I cannot find anything wrong with the workmanship.   Colour match is good, blend lines are not noticeable at all.   If I am being really really picky,  I notice that the paint is a bit thicker, but that's to be expected and I doubt most people would notice.   

My Doors are dry, all trims are secure and level.

A real shame some of you have had unpleasant experiences with getting this work done.    It is obviously a design fault that should be rectified as soon as it is spotted and there is a guide by bmw for the dealers to follow to fix this issue.   There was no way I was going to allow rust to start to develop on a 3-4 year old car.

On 29/11/2018 at 22:31, dandle said:

I would look at getting it fixed before it gets too bad. Peter has done a couple of his doors on his F11. https://www.bmwland.org.uk/index.php?threads/bmw-vapour-barrier-weakness-revisited.1765/#post-28239

Looked at mine after,its bone dry on the sills and the carpets after a downpour. I do notice one of the sills getting wet if I power wash but that is a huge amount of water in the door. I'll keep an eye on it but all seems ok at the moment.  Appreciate the heads up. 

37 minutes ago, Enzo503 said:

After having mine now for a week or 2 back from the garage, I have to say, I cannot find anything wrong with the workmanship.   Colour match is good, blend lines are not noticeable at all.   If I am being really really picky,  I notice that the paint is a bit thicker, but that's to be expected and I doubt most people would notice.   

My Doors are dry, all trims are secure and level.

A real shame some of you have had unpleasant experiences with getting this work done.    It is obviously a design fault that should be rectified as soon as it is spotted and there is a guide by bmw for the dealers to follow to fix this issue.   There was no way I was going to allow rust to start to develop on a 3-4 year old car.

Glad to hear yours went well. 

I looked at a 3 year old m5 last weekend that had been done, presumably, because the shadow line trim on the rear door were wonky and they all had scuffs in odd places. 

After reading from the  start to end of this topic I could see no reason why only certain F10 or F11's are effected with the door corrosion problem, if this problem was on every vehicle this could perhaps be the explaination, being caused by the robot paint spraying not enough microns of paint on the edge of the doors, or a fault in their anti rust treatment on the steel panels prior to painting, but just a thought is there any particular paint colours that have been effected by corrosion, it just seems strange that it effecting certain vehicles of various production dates, or am I missing something.

At the moment I see no signs of any corrosion on my 2014  F11 520d,  admittantly its not used as a daily driver and does not see much salt used the roads in the winter months, its not garaged but the only treatment it receives it always has Collinite hard wax before the start of winter and again in the spring, and washed with Chemical Guys  wax shampoo every 2-3 weeeks.

it bubbles from under the paintwork, it has nothing to do with what you put over the paint like wax etc from what I understand of the situation.   The body shop mentioned they had to apply a coating from inside the door in the area that had suffered. 

I will be honest and say, I would not of noticed the rust bubbles if I had not read this topic due to size and location.

Edited by Enzo503

I also wonder after my saga with the moisture barriers if it's a lack of paint on the inside corners of the doors causing it, we know it rusts from underneath out. It must be a hard area to properly cover with paint and the door is subject to a lot more moisture inside than I realised.

6 hours ago, Oilburner said:

After reading from the  start to end of this topic I could see no reason why only certain F10 or F11's are effected with the door corrosion problem, if this problem was on every vehicle this could perhaps be the explaination, being caused by the robot paint spraying not enough microns of paint on the edge of the doors, or a fault in their anti rust treatment on the steel panels prior to painting, but just a thought is there any particular paint colours that have been effected by corrosion, it just seems strange that it effecting certain vehicles of various production dates, or am I missing something.

At the moment I see no signs of any corrosion on my 2014  F11 520d,  admittantly its not used as a daily driver and does not see much salt used the roads in the winter months, its not garaged but the only treatment it receives it always has Collinite hard wax before the start of winter and again in the spring, and washed with Chemical Guys  wax shampoo every 2-3 weeeks.

I am not convinced about how many cars have it or not. Perhaps its only the more vigilant of owners that notice it. I would love to see the BMW figures on this.

From my understanding as it rusts from under the paintwork its got to be related lack of paint on the edge of door, or there is a breadown of the anti rust treatment on the metal panel before spraying commences, but it still does not explain why every F10 and F11 has not got this rust problem on the doors, but because they must all be sprayed by robots in the factory you would expect if the door panels had less paint on the edge or underside of the door due to the factory not setting up the robot sprayers correctly for even coveraged of paint, which  brings you back to the same conclusion why not every F10 & F11 is effected whatever year of manufacture, perhaps there must be another reason.

Enzo503 - I  know it should not make any difference what you apply on the paintwork for paint protection if the rust is starting under the paintwork, I only mentioned about waxing on my vehicle and it also my F11 is not garaged was to  get a baseline  whilst  it still shows no signs of any rusting, one would expect as its not garaged my F11 would be showing some signs of rust by now, I just hope I'm not tempting fate and my own starts rusting later on but so far so good.

Too many variables to predict. Environment, storage, washing routine, etc etc.

I'd put money that over a long enough time frame all F10's will corrode at that spot. Bit like cancer.  Everyone gets it eventually provided nothing else gets you first. 

Edited by bmwmike