bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

Hi 

Just a heads up F10's are starting to show some corrosion on the rear doors.

Mine has it a bit, bodyshop have seen a few apparently!  Not booked mine in for repair yet. Should be covered under warranty.

It is the front edge of the rear door just beneath the trim (chrome or shadow). Tiny patch on both rear doors in same place on both. 

Cheers

Mike

Edited by bmwmike

18 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Sorry you replied as I was editing. Both rear door front edge at top below the trim strip.

I shouldn't have been so hasty. I have corrosion on the gloss black trim in 2 places on the rear doors but nothing on the doors themselves. I remember looking for something in ISTA when I found this document. Seems like BMW know about it as it made its way into ISTA!

F11 Door corrosion removal.pdf

Very interested to hear whether BMW honours their 12 year anti-corrosion warranty on this one.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Nice find Matthew!  I asked my dealer about it already and they asked if the car had been in a crash. Then they admitted they'd seen it on other cars but I need to take it to a different dealer because they are only an " approved bodyshop" for smart repairs (wtf).

I intend to take it in when I get time. Will report back.  Should be covered especially as they have a fancy pdf for it an all.

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Trim strips won't be covered from memory.

Isnt corrosion 6 years now rather than 12. Paintwork is only 3!

The paint anti-corrosion warranty is still 12 years according to BMW's website. And no, trim is not covered but maybe it should be looking at all of the complaints about the gloss black trim bubbling where the aluminium corrodes when water gets between the black coating and the aluminium base.

My old F10 developed rust spots around fuel filler cap at around 25 months old. 

But then again,  it would be easier to list what didnt go wrong with my F10 :blink:

37 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

But then again,  it would be easier to list what didnt go wrong with my F10 :blink:

Sure that wasn't an E60?.....that would be a very small list on the E60:D

I'll need to have a look at mine as when changing the wheels at the weekend, there was a lot of corrosion on the rear driveshaft hub nut on the nearside, but virtually none on the offside.

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sure that wasn't an E60?.....that would be a very small list on the E60:D

I'll need to have a look at mine as when changing the wheels at the weekend, there was a lot of corrosion on the rear driveshaft hub nut on the nearside, but virtually none on the offside.

My E60 has been far more reliable compared to my neighbours F10, and looks better too ;)

Yes, to be fair looks like 12 year but... 

"The Warranty covers corrosion which occurs from inside the metal panels or box sections of the car.

The Warranty does not cover corrosion caused by neglect, accident damage, stone chips or other external influences."

Guess that means it has to come from under the paint vs an external stonechip or scratch. Wiggle room! 

6 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

I would be far more concerned at corrosion in the steel body panels like around the filler cap. In fact I'd be wondering WTF has happened to BMW.

Its very common on the e39 once they got old.  i though they might have solved it but most likely paint regs have made it a lot harder (expensive)  to properly protect more complex edges and joins. 

16 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Yes, to be fair looks like 12 year but... 

"The Warranty covers corrosion which occurs from inside the metal panels or box sections of the car.

The Warranty does not cover corrosion caused by neglect, accident damage, stone chips or other external influences."

Guess that means it has to come from under the paint vs an external stonechip or scratch. Wiggle room! 

Not really, if a stone chip that hasn't been dealt with by the owner of the car is the cause of corrosion, BMW can hardly be expected to pick up the bill. If the corrosion is due to moisture ingress between a steel panel and its anti corrosion coating and subsequent top coat AND BMW is offering a 12 year warranty then they should stand by it without angst for the owner. 

Absolutely, but knowing how often dealers have claimed paint damage as the source of consistent corrosion issues despite being in exactly the same spot on previous models im probably a little cynical.

Off to check mine anyway! 

Who's made a successful claim under the 12 year anti corrosion warranty?

On 21/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, SuperDave said:

Its very common on the e39 once they got old.  i though they might have solved it but most likely paint regs have made it a lot harder (expensive)  to properly protect more complex edges and joins. 

Newer models have less paint, saw this demonstrated to me with a paint depth gauge.

4 hours ago, JDR said:

Would be good to see some images for reference, mine is only 2 years old but will be something to keep an eye on.

Images are in the pdf provided by Matthew.

I’ve just had both rear doors repaired on my 2013 530d due to corrosion.

Took a while to get it through BMW corrosion warranty but all done with lifetime guarantee.

Sytner BMW Tamworth lodged a claim with BMW UK, it took a few weeks and I had to supply evidence of the service history as well.

BMW approved the rectification work under warranty but they didn’t replace the doors, they rectified the corrosionin situ with a lifetime guarantee on the corrosion and the paint repair. I have paperwork evidence to back this up.

The work has been done to a very high standard and the service from Sytner was first rate.

A2703398-4AAF-4791-B16A-90ED328E3CE2.jpeg

1 minute ago, McBeemer said:

Took a while to get it through BMW corrosion warranty but all done with lifetime guarantee.

Sytner BMW Tamworth lodged a claim with BMW UK, it took a few weeks and I had to supply evidence of the service history as well.

BMW approved the rectification work under warranty but they didn’t replace the doors, they rectified the corrosionin situ with a lifetime guarantee on the corrosion and the paint repair. I have paperwork evidence to back this up.

The work has been done to a very high standard and the service from Sytner was first rate.

Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad BMW is standing by their warranty. Any chance you could post the "after" picture?

14 minutes ago, McBeemer said:

A2703398-4AAF-4791-B16A-90ED328E3CE2.jpeg

Does Tamworth have a Bodyshop or did you take it to Oldbury?

They have their own. The guy who works the claims is an ex service advisor from Sytner Birmingham and has been in the Group 20 odd years - as long as I’ve ran BMs. Nice fella and doesn’t bxllsh1t you. Can not fault them end to end.

19 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Thanks for sharing this and I'm glad BMW is standing by their warranty. Any chance you could post the "after" picture?

Sorry for the poor quality - pics taken at dusk on a phone. Those aren’t masking marks under the shadow trim lines - it’s water after a late in the day wash.

A4F638BA-76DA-4D5E-9928-509D14F7DF7C.jpeg

56A2F3C4-36F3-4677-BE5A-332013C20348.jpeg

E2E3D86B-24B7-44EB-BD9A-859AE24E021A.jpeg

2C6E7BC5-F5A1-45F6-93DB-29C1A19558E3.jpeg

Edited by McBeemer

13 hours ago, McBeemer said:

Sorry for the poor quality - pics taken at dusk on a phone. Those aren’t masking marks under the shadow trim lines - it’s water after a late in the day wash.

Thanks for the pictures, looks like a good job.