Digidick

What are you carrying in the event of a puncture?

Looks like I’ll be switching to non runflats sometime soon but I’m curious to find out what people are carrying (apart from a spare tyre) in the event of a puncture. 

Would be be great if you can link me to something you’ve actullay used with success. 

FYI I’ll be running 245/40/19 & 275/35/19. 

A can of tyre snot can help but it isn't always guaranteed to work as my father in law found out to his frustration.  

I'm on rfts but I would carry....

A mobile phone with my dad on speed dial who can then whip round to my house and collect a spare wheel from my garage, my trolley jack and my socket set.  And if I was too far from home, my AA card. :D

Yeah I’ve got some tyre snot stuff but never had to use it yet. 

Have you seen those tyre plug kits that makes a temporary repair similar to a garage plug repair?

9 minutes ago, Digidick said:

Have you seen those tyre plug kits that makes a temporary repair similar to a garage plug repair?

Yes, its been discussed on here before I think, try a search.  

I have RFT rear and normal go flats up front. I carry 2 cans of goo or whatever its called. I also have AA. And push comes to shove some sort of emergency button in the car. 

I once drove around Australia (northern territory to WA to SA to Vic and then up east coast) with two spare wheels and only when I completed the journey and was selling the vehicle did I find out they were the wrong ones, so I effectively had no spare. By comparison a puncture on my weekly shopping trip and pottering about is unlikely to put me somewhere completely out of reach for rescue. 

I have a man called Keith - kept in the cubby box in the boot. He's really small, but surprisingly efficient in an emergency.  I clap my hands and say 'LO, KEITH!  MANIFEST!' and - marvel at this - he APPEARS, and performs wondrous deeds.

That's how I roll.

16 minutes ago, Dr Taylor said:

I have a man called Keith - kept in the cubby box in the boot. He's really small, but surprisingly efficient in an emergency.  I clap my hands and say 'LO, KEITH!  MANIFEST!' and - marvel at this - he APPEARS, and performs wondrous deeds.

That's how I roll.

You really need to stop smoking that stuff. It's doing your brain no good... His name is Mitch!

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

You really need to stop smoking that stuff. It's doing your brain no good... His name is Mitch!

Sir Ashton - that was our secret.

Alas.  Mitch must leave.

Bring forth...BARRY.

When I ditched the runflats on my E60 I relied on BMW emergency service.

Only had one puncture that was a pretty much instant flat. Rang them and they sent out a very nice man with a recovery truck who took me to local tyre place :D

2 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

That's how I roll.

Are you sure you don't drive a Mercedes?

When my wife owned a Merc, the handbook consisted of the following.

In the event of a puncture, call a man

In the event of needing screenwash, call a man 

Bascially it said, that a Mercedes driver need not concern ones self with what is under the bonnet and you were to call a man in the event of any issue.

9 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Are you sure you don't drive a Mercedes?

When my wife owned a Merc, the handbook consisted of the following.

In the event of a puncture, call a man

In the event of needing screenwash, call a man 

Bascially it said, that a Mercedes driver need not concern ones self with what is under the bonnet and you were to call a man in the event of any issue.

A Keith?

He's the best we have.  Firm hands.  Moisturises.  

Cheers all. 

A friend can get me the Conti Mobility Kit for a good price so I might have one of those but I’ll get the Tyres and worry about a puncture later. 

I have the slime kit from Amazon, a Seily plug kit and also bought a space saver a few weeks ago for a trip to France, I keep it in the boot now as it takes up minimal space for my needs (I still fitted 5 cabin cases in for a trip to Munich last week) 

@sshooie, is there a life span of the slime?

My father in law got caught out with slime when it failed to seal, on closer inspection of the can, it had expired which may have been a factor in his case. He was quite annoyed as his has been going to Vauxhall for all its services but never once was he told that he will need a new can as they age.

A new can was subsequently bought and lesson learned.

I bought a scissor jack and modified it so that raising and lowering is via a half inch ratchet tool rather than the normal two piece wonky handle. I also fitted a BMW rubber block so that it spins to fit into the jacking point.

As a motorcyclist, I have used the roadside repair plugs for fixing punctures and I carry a couple of different sets of those. Today, I purchased two cans of Holts Tyre Weld (should do two punctures but was very cheap to buy two). My car is a BMW F105285i with new non run flat Mitchelin Cross Climates fitted.

See here

ORDER DATE

25 Nov, 2017
ORDER TOTAL
£15.89
Free postage
Order Holts Tyre Weld Emergency Puncture Repair 2 Can 500ml - Ht4YaLeave FeedbackWrite a review
1 item sold by uhfdistribution

Holts Tyre Weld Emergency Puncture Repair 2 Can 500ml - Ht4Ya

Estimated delivery Thu, 30 Nov - Sat, 02 Dec

Hope that helps!
Edited by HiUp

4 minutes ago, HiUp said:

I bought a scissor jack and modified it so that raising and lowering is via a half inch ratchet tool rather than the normal two piece wonky handle. I also fitted a BMW rubber block so that it spins to fit into the jacking point.

Good idea. 

My father is buying a space spare from a breakers for his Jag which is designed to carry it under the boot floor. Despite the fact I have RFTs, I think I will relieve him of the existing Continental mobility kit if he no longer wants it. Would probably make a RFT last a lot more miles ...

I had. M235i it ran on Pilot super sports, so not runflat, it had the compressor and bottle of goo. I hit something on Barton bridge, I noticed the problem before the car told me. I pulled over and tried the magic goo, no chance the recovery guy said the tyre had a fist sized hole, so recovery it was.

Had a can of gunk in my old car and suffered when i hit a pothole late at night. Resulted in a cut in the sidewall, gunk didn't work, recovery took four hours! Stupid thing was I was only 4 miles from home.

Still think a proper spare is the way to go.

I'm off subject a bit but do you guys know what to do to your auto BMW F10s if you have a breakdown and need to get your car on to a flatbed tow truck (the only option for transporting your disabled vehicle say BMW). How do you get it into neutral without power so it can be dragged on to the flat bed?

The reason for raising this question is because I noticed an empty spot in my emergecy firstaid/tool kit when prepping my car for winter. The orange plastic tool was missing so I bought one from BMW Park lane for £5 delivered. I thought it was the tool to achieve the desired 'get out of park and in to neutral' tool. I then researched how to achieve this - but still don't have the answer. It seems its one of the BMW secrets that you are not allowed to know. There is no mention in my handbook. My searches show the tool I purchased can be used through a hole in the bottom of the cup holder in some earlier than my 2010 F10 models and it also works on some of the BMW X5s. Other models you pull out the surrounds at the base of your selector stick and use the screwdriver from the first aid kit box to lever back a holding mechanism which lets you achieve selecting Neutral. Or - you can raise the car, support it an jack stands, crawl under - remove the underbody transmission cover - locate a certain bolt - which you screw in and it presses against and raises a lever which allows you to select Neutral. Can you see yourself doing this when you have lost all power on a dark wet night whilst on a main road somewhere? You cant even push the car to safety as it will automatically go into Park mode locking the wheels.

I read the following on one of the BMW forums posted by a guy called E60orBust who saw a BMW video on the subject: 

Originally Posted by algoodman 

Do you know how to unlock the transmission yourself? If the worst happens and you have to have it put on a flat bed how will the truck operator know how to do it?

In theory I do, but have not tried it myself. The guy in the video said their test BMW had been wired to that it would not start for the purpose of their demonstration.

He pushed the starter button while holding down the brake pedal, tapped the shifter in to Neutral twice (two forward pushes without hitting the side button, that would put you in to Reverse) and on the third tap, he held it forward for a few seconds. According to the video, that will disengage the transmission for 15 minutes, allowing you to push/tow/wench the car wherever you need to. Then you would have to ride along with the tow-truck driver and repeat the same process to roll it back off the flat bed.

As smhoer said, how that is supposed to work in the event of a collision where the battery gets disengaged is beyond me. Anyone want to disconnect their battery and give it a whirl? With all the bells and whistles these F10's have, what is the worse that could happen?

My car is a 2010 BMW F10 528iSE Automatic and I still don't know how to achieve neutral if I break down without power. I tried to replicate the method above by pushing the starter and hoping to catch it not firing but my car started every time.

If you put your car in neutral whilst its running and don't put the parking brake on then it stays in neutral with a warning on iDrive before you turn the ingnition off. That's OK but if you have an accident or just a loss of power - then ......?

If anybody can enlighten me I would be very gratefull!

Edited by HiUp
correction

2 hours ago, HiUp said:

I'm off subject a bit but do you guys know what to do to your auto BMW F10s if you have a breakdown and need to get your car on to a flatbed tow truck (the only option for transporting your disabled vehicle say BMW). How do you get it into neutral without power so it can be dragged on to the flat bed?

If anybody can enlighten me I would be very gratefull!

This has been discussed previously and I'll share again. On the 8HP transmission on the Fxx cars the only way to force it out of park when the engine is off is to force it mechanically. This document describes how.

F11 Manually Releasing Parking Lock Transmission GA8HP.pdf

Thank you so much Mathew. I will search again using F11 Manually Releasing Parking Lock Transmission GA8HP.pdf

I find that hard to believe that I have to get under the car, remove the under body shielding, etc etc in the event of a power failure. Am I suppose to carry a proper jack and axle stands and wheel chocks  and warning lights etc with me at all times?

It would not be safe to do that on a public road. What if it happens on a motorway? The car cant even be pushed to safety. I cant believe that BMW would design something that way. It's a health & safety risk.

What are the tow truck drivers supposed to do? Should they know all of this - so many different ways to release 'Park' on BMWs. How are they supposed to get the car on to a flat bed with the wheels locked?

I have a small power pack which is powerful enough to start lorries. In the event of a power loss, connecting that to the under bonnet + and - connections may allow me to get get ignition on and select neutral - depending on what caused the power loss in the first place. Other than that, I will have make a hole in the under body transmission sheet and fix a guide tube up to the bolt in question so that a long extension could reach and connect with and screw in the bolt to obtain Neutral.

Of course, I would have to accompany the vehicle to wherever it was taken to repeat the process to get it off the flat bed truck.

Anybody else wish to comment? Anybody come up with a solution? Anyone had this happen to them?

Peter