Digidick

Anyone running 19” Winter tyres all year round?

Eye Need some tyres for the 530d and want to move away from runflats but at the same time I’ve also been thinking of getting some winters and just run them all year round. 

Anyone doing the same?

Eye Can get a full set of Kumho winters for £512 fitted @ 245/40/19 & 275/35/19. 

Edited by Digidick

Usually you step down to 18" or 17" to run winters. You get more tyre choice and the bigger sidewalls are more forgiving on the potholed roads at this time of year.

I had made plans to put my 17" winters on this morning but they weren't the plans that my wife had made......

If you are going to run all year, cross climates or ones marked only M+S tyres will be better than the mountain 3 peak with a snowflake M+S full blown winter tyres.

Cheers. Don’t fancy buying twice (new rears and winters in 17 or 18 plus wheels) so just deciding summer or winters or cross-climates 

Edited by Digidick

Running full winters all year round will be a bit of a compromise though.  Cross Climates are summer tyres with the three peak mountain snowflake symbol but are not M+S tyres.  So it's essentially a summer tyre that works in the cold so sounds a good choice.

Or

You can pick up a poverty spec set of 17" rims for not a lot....

Remember if you run a second set of wheels, tyre wear halves so in the long run you can look at it as only buying the rims as you would have needed tyres anyway.

But yes you've got to store them and take 2 hours out of the allotted time your wife allows you at the weekends to have time to fit them.

Winter tyres are for Winter or rather sub circa 8 degree average temp use, often labelled saying similar as well, chances are if you used them in the summer:

• Your insurance might be invalid in the event of an accident.
  • They would wear down prematurely.
  • The tread pattern might overheat rapidly and the handling would be all squirmy..

The idea does not have any merit at all.

Oh and sentences like the opening and closing ones in the original post typically start with an 'I' 

;)

HTH

2 hours ago, Alexak said:

Oh and sentences like the opening and closing ones in the original post typically start with an 'I' 

;)

HTH

Amended and stop being a clever c**t!

Edited by Digidick