gine39530d

Most reliable engine is M57 3L ?

is that true?

friend of mine told me so

he knows thing or two about cars

also said Toyota sucks at building reliable diesel engines

and the most reliable diesel engine from BMW is M57 3L only, why?

Is his opinion based on poor design causing component failure or possibly less tolerant to poor maintenance (lack of attention to oil and filter changes etc).

Really?! :roll:

The M54, IMO, is probably one of the most bullet proof engines they made... Just take care of the cooling system and all is well...

I see and read more issues with the diesel lumps than I ever do with the petrol lumps!

I'm sure the OP just likes to come on and try and start arguments :lol: 

I went to a indie with mine for a diagnostic check and he was telling me the n57 in the x5 535d  2008 has crank problems as the increased power allied to a crank that has 1997 background is a weak spot.

I'd be happy buying either with moon miles on to be honest. 

My current M57 is just about to hit 200k, 

and ive owned various M54's up to  270k and all have been pretty reliable generally. 

35 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

modern engines are poorly made, they don't last long

5 years aaaand they are gone

You're just a fountain of utter shite arnt you? 

So going by that ludicrous statement, every car that is six years old is running a new engine? 

First off you said petrol is a con and now engines don't last past 5 years!!!! 

What a tosser! 

You're lucky I'm not drinking tonight as the torrent of abuse you would of got from me would of left you crying curled up in a ball on the floor whilst in a puddle of your own feces.....

God damn it! It's people like you that turn me to alcoholism......

17 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

You're just a fountain of utter shite arnt you? 

So going by that ludicrous statement, every car that is six years old is running a new engine? 

First off you said petrol is a con and now engines don't last past 5 years!!!! 

What a tosser! 

You're lucky I'm not drinking tonight as the torrent of abuse you would of got from me would of left you crying curled up in a ball on the floor whilst in a puddle of your own feces.....

God damn it! It's people like you that turn me to alcoholism......

bring it on

live a little

give me some heat

did you notice - life time warranty = 5 years?

and exactly after 5 years everything starts to fall apart

just like with smartphones

you are just a cashcow ready for milking

Edited by gine39530d

56 minutes ago, gine39530d said:

bring it on

live a little

give me some heat

I choose not to mix with people that are mentally challenged.....

Smart phones don't break they just get updated, this is called business! 

And who is a cash cow? My E91 is 10 years old and is on its original engine..... 

id never buy a new car, simply for the reason of depreciation! 

I think you need to put your brain in gear before you type the ludicrous shite you do! 

Ive had a warning for expressing my opinion on to a fellow that was thick as a bucket of shit and twice as ugly, so need to watch what I say and how I say it! 

But you sir are on the same level.....

:lol::lol::lol: 

Edited by Yokozuna

22 minutes ago, grapefruit said:

Do not feed the troll.

I know I know, I struggle to come to terms with the stupidness of some people....

:lol: 

Edited by Yokozuna

He's right in that Toyota have built some shit diesels! - 2C/3CT range sucked, 2.4T (2LT)pretty much all cracked heads, 2.8 (3L) cracked heads often, pre-D4D 3.0 (1KZ etc) crack heads eventually, newer D4Ds eat injectors and clutches and occasionaly go bang. Plus they were slow as shit anyway. I'd not touch one.

But anything diesel and turbo is generally going to be more risky/trouble than a naturally aspirated port injected petrol engine - it's just less complicated and generally a buttload cheaper to fix. Common rail is even worse, because the components are so expensive - tight tolerance, super high pressure injection, highly stressed, turbocharged and running 20 to 30 PSI of boost, is just asking for trouble - eventually!

3 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I know I know, I struggle to come to terms with the stupidness of some people....

:lol: 

As Sir Billy Connolly 'Excalibur' (read BBC re his knighthood) said...

'Never take an eeijit with you, you'll always find one when you get there'... :lol: 

Another fan of the M57 3.0L diesel here. Mine's on 235k and be remapped to 450lb.ft of torque for half of that.

Turbo is only the big let down, mainly I think due to BMW being optimistic with oil change intervals from the off.

I haven't exactly had a stellar introduction to M57 ownership, but then I came into buying one with my eyes completely closed and having done next to no research.. and who knew, these things don't get their bomb-proof reputation without good maintenance. I've owned mine since March.. having acquired the car for a nice round £1,000 I have easily sunk another £4,000 into it.. just trying to get it to drive respectably and to fix various issues and I'm still miles off it being a 'good' driving experience to be honest. This is my fault for not doing my research properly though. I regret it now, knowing I could have got a minter for that kind of money. But that's life and it's been a great opportunity to learn about spannering on these cars a bit. 

That said, I've not been disappointed by ownership so far even if my car is a shed and doesn't look anything like the money that's gone into it. The E39 still feels like a special place to be, no doubt about it. 

On the subject of reliability though, my feeling is that the core motor is actually.. well, bomb proof. You can just tell, certainly from the countless hundreds and hundreds of threads I've consumed whilst trying to debug the various problems I've had. On most threads, it's almost never something truly terminal and is just.. an ancillary issue of some kind. The core block, it wouldn't surprise me, if with the correct maintenance that they would go on for 400-500,000+ miles without the need to be opened up and rebuilt. 

Genuinely if I could own a good condition, problem free example of something like a 530i Champagne Edition or really an M5...  I'm not sure there's many other cars sub 15k I'd rather own to be honest. They just do EVERYTHING so well. Even working on them is quite enjoyable. The way they're put together and the way they come apart is just.. so German and logical. Awesome. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Completely agree with chicaneuk there, no bmw engine is going to be bomb proof without spending money on maintenance. Just like a good kitchen knife, you’ve gotta sharpen it sometimes.

that said, when an M57 gets a problem, it does seem to be more spectacular than when an M52/M54 does.

If you want a car that you can neglect, and expect to be reliable, a German car is probably not the car for you

I’m a big fan, especially after 80k tearing the arse off my 530d. As had already been eluded to it’s all about the maintenance - as with most things in life, if you look after it then it will last much longer.

On 19/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, ttrw2 said:

Another fan of the M57 3.0L diesel here. Mine's on 235k and be remapped to 450lb.ft of torque for half of that.

Turbo is only the big let down, mainly I think due to BMW being optimistic with oil change intervals from the off.

Hello there, can you elaborate for me on the 'mainly I think due to BMW being optimistic with oil change intervals from the off. Cheers

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, RightHandGoose said:

Hello there, can you elaborate for me on the 'mainly I think due to BMW being optimistic with oil change intervals from the off. Cheers

One's that have led a gentle life/been mainly used for motorway commutes will have seen services every 15-17k miles (based on the dash lights saying when required). I think this is too long - the oil in diesels ends up carrying a lot of carbon, this gets baked in the turbo centre housing (hottest part of oil circuit by some way) which reduces oil supply to the turbo's shaft bearings.  Once these begin to wear the shaft floats more and the wears the seals out. More regular oil changes prevent this.